The Student Room Group

Work Experience for counselling ??

Hello people

I hope someone will be able to give me some ideas to what kind of work experience I should look for when it comes to counselling & psychology . I am going to University next year and it states that I need some form of work experience ...

Thanks for reading :smile:

Zarrin
:hello:

Are you hoping to do a degree in counselling or professional training?

I have just started counselling training and have experience in various roles, the most relevant being as a support worker with people with learning disabilities and working in student support at a college. I also did a year-long Certificate in Counselling Skills.

Any experience with people is good, especially if it gives you communication skills/the chance to support others. Things like mentoring other students, volunteering for places like Mind/hostels, even day centres for disabled people could give you useful skills. Have a look at www.do-it.org.uk for opportunities in your area.
Reply 2
Thank you so much ! This will really help me and see what opportunities I have

I really appreciate this
Reply 3
This is very late but it might help someone else. Any voluntary work is good. Also try and speak to others in the profession. Counselling remains an unregulated profession so I would recommend speaking to the BACP or similar as although there aren't any training standards a lot of organizations won't look at an individual for a counselling role if they don't have or are working towards the Diploma.
Erm hi, i know this is waaaay late and you've probably done counselling, i'm hoping you'll see this, but can you tell me where you did your counselling skills certificate, was it online or in at an institution? Thanks
Hi I stumbled across this. The Birkbeck College at the University of London do a Certificate of Higher Education in counselling and Counselling Skills: http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2014/short-courses/modules/FFCS/FFCS003S4/
That is where you can find it.
Original post by Phoenix Rises
Hi I stumbled across this. The Birkbeck College at the University of London do a Certificate of Higher Education in counselling and Counselling Skills: http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2014/short-courses/modules/FFCS/FFCS003S4/
That is where you can find it.

Yeah i checked that, but its too far from where i live. I'm looking for an online course. But thanks anyway x
Reply 7
I'm doing a psychology with counselling course at uni level with open uni, its an online course :smile:
Original post by Rebeccavoxo
Yeah i checked that, but its too far from where i live. I'm looking for an online course. But thanks anyway x

If you do an online course for counselling you are unlikely to get anywhere as you simply wont have put what you learnt into practise.

This is late I know but its just for anyone who stumbles upon it because I just found it on google.
Reply 9
I've done psychotherapy, advanced psychotherapy, child psychology and relationship transactional analysis online with bsy which is done at home if this helps anyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending