A week into Uni - Can I transfer to a new University ?

Watch
RazzleRaz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I am a week into University and have decided due to personal reasons that I would prefer to be closer to my family and transfer to a different Uni. Is it possible to transfer to a different University this early ? And how do I go about it ? Any advice/suggestions/information on transferring this early would be a massive help !
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you have a particular uni in mind, contact them, as they are the only ones who can give you a definative answer.

However, transfering part way through a year is pretty much unheard of, and you may find they have no places, and want you to reapply, or possibly allow you to trasfer at the start of the second year (although this is rare).

Or you might get lucky, and find that they have a space, and because it's early in the year, you won't have missed any content, and they will let you in.
sdwsj91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
currently debating the same thing. let me know what you do, nice to see others are in the same mess i am in!

not nice, but comforting...
impossible!
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wanted to do this last week. I rang up the three unis I was interested in transferring to, and they all said no. Their courses were full. It's to be expected I guess...

Just don't be too optimistic. Depends on the course and the uni, but give them a ring and see. Worth a try.
britishgoose01
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i cant see it happening, i have a friend with a simple task of going from parttime to full time, they said no to that so i cant imagine them letting you transfer just before you start
RazzleRaz
Rep:
?
Hi Guys.

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my question, you've been a great help !
I've decided I'm going to try and give it a go, so at least if they then say no, I know I tried everything.

sdwsj91 let me know how you get on as well and what you decide to do. It would be nice to speak to someone who is going through the same experience.

Any further info anyone can give me would be wonderful. Especially if you have been through the transfer process yourself and particularly at an early stage in your course(Under 6 months).
violethillx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hey, i'm in exactly the same situation and am debating transferring to closer to home. unfortunately i'm from durham, where the typical offer for my course is A*AA and i've already been rejected from there so don't think they'll let me in! might try newcastle etc though. good luck if you're ringing them up; let me know how you get on x
RazzleRaz
Rep:
?
I'm so relieved to see I'm not the only one who's considering it ! What do you plan to do ? Are you thinking about contacting different uni's to see if they'll let you in ? What do you plan to tell them is your reasoning for wanting to move to a uni closer to home ? (If you don't mind me asking !) I've heard you have to have a pretty good argument.
Greengecko
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In exactly the same boat .

Hopefully will be able to transfer, due to sign on tomorrow with this uni and really don't want to so will be ringing the other one I'd like to transfer to and going to the student advice centre at this one . All I can do is hope.

Regards
Dis.I.Like
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi guys, in the same position unfortunately. Any progress?
Geo877
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmm, I wonder if you can ask to be put on a waiting list for spaces made by dropouts? Give it a go!
Dis.I.Like
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Most I've emailed have flatly refused, I've replied to one asking if being put on a waiting list is possible
Niall2407
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey everyone, I'm in the same position as you guys unfortunately.

I wanted to move from Newcastle university as I wanted to be closer to home. Both Manchester and Manchester Met have refused to accept me due to their not being any places. They both also said that you can't transfer at the end of your first year, you have to re-apply for Sept 2012 entry.

I'm not sure what I should do I don't think uni is really for me but then I have only a part time job to go back to
jal999
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi,

I have just started my first year two weeks ago studying 'BA Hons Health and Social Care' full time. I want to transfer to another university but I don't want to wait until next year. I've also decided to change my course to 'BSc Psychology with Criminology' full time so I looked on UCAS to see universities which still have vacancies. I found some and emailed them to see if they would consider me but they said that they are not accepting any transfer students or new applicants until Sept 2012.

So why does UCAS say they have vacancies in extra and are accepting applicants but when I email universities they say that they don't?

I also asked someone in student support at my uni and she told me the same thing about emailing them.

I really don't want to wait till next year. Any help please?
bridgetrose3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm thinking the same thing. Everybody says i should just stick it out but i really feel like i don't fit in here. I have emailed a couple of universities that I could commute from home to, but I'm not hopeful that they will accept me. Even though their grade boundaries are lower than I achieved.
Honestly I wish the fees weren't going up next year, it has made getting into university much more stressful.
I got my place here through clearing, so didn't get a chance to visit before I accepted.
I'm just dreading trying to tell my parents..............
violethillx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RazzleRaz)
I'm so relieved to see I'm not the only one who's considering it ! What do you plan to do ? Are you thinking about contacting different uni's to see if they'll let you in ? What do you plan to tell them is your reasoning for wanting to move to a uni closer to home ? (If you don't mind me asking !) I've heard you have to have a pretty good argument.
Only just seen this now! I rang Durham last week and asked if there was any way I could transfer as I felt I needed to be home due to personal reasons, then explained that my dad passed away when I was 13 and it was only my mum and me at home, she had cancer a few years ago and I thought I'd be ok away from home but I'm not! They said there weren't any places now as their courses were full but honestly didn't really seem that interested as they didn't even ask what course I was hoping to transfer to, only the general department. Thinking about ringing Newcastle now as it's about the same prestige as where I am but not sure if they'll let me live in halls and how easy it will be to make friends if everyone already knows each other.. Newcastle was my insurance though on UCAS so maybe that'll make them more likely to let me transfer. Have you rang or emailed anywhere? x
student65
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hey everyone,
i'm in the same boat, i want to transfer!
But i rang the uni closest the my home - that is only around 100th in the ratings and they said that they were full and not accepting any first years :/
so i dont really know what to do now. All the universities are full, if people had wanted to transfer in previous years i doubt there would have been a problem but as the fees are going up all the universities are full.
Its a real shame, dont know what to do now
hannaaaahh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Same boat, my university are useless and I've had some major personal issues arise since coming to London.

Been looking at all the courses with spaces left on UCAS in clearing- hopefully somewhere will let me in!
BuzzKillington14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Been thinking about doing this as well, I reckon they wont allow transfers now so that we'll re-apply for next year and have to fork out the dough.
Chicharito14
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by student65)
hey everyone,
i'm in the same boat, i want to transfer!
But i rang the uni closest the my home - that is only around 100th in the ratings and they said that they were full and not accepting any first years :/
so i dont really know what to do now. All the universities are full, if people had wanted to transfer in previous years i doubt there would have been a problem but as the fees are going up all the universities are full.
Its a real shame, dont know what to do now
Same boat. If i weren't for the fees, i wouldn't mind dropping out at all.

I'm going to see if i can transfer to a uni closer to home. If all else fails. i will apply for 2012, and get a job in the meantime...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (76)
14.48%
I'm not sure (22)
4.19%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (167)
31.81%
I have already dropped out (11)
2.1%
I'm not a current university student (249)
47.43%

Watched Threads