The Student Room Group

Occupational Therapy in 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
Original post by sarahp
No of course I don't mind you asking:smile: I'm an oldie and have nearly finished my 2nd yr of a pt access course. I can't wait to start in Sept and get stuck in with the work...although i'm sure it will get quite stressful:eek:.

What about you?

Ah cool :smile: I am currently in the final year of my Psychology degree, so going to be going straight into another 3 years at uni which is a bit daunting! I am really looking forward to actually getting stuck in and start the course though :smile:
Reply 801
Original post by Phoenix07
Ah cool :smile: I am currently in the final year of my Psychology degree, so going to be going straight into another 3 years at uni which is a bit daunting! I am really looking forward to actually getting stuck in and start the course though :smile:

wow!! I'm sure your psychology will come in very handy...i know where to come if I get stuck!!lol:smile:
Reply 802
Original post by zoeclarex
Hahah, i know. i'm so tired. got the train there and had to change over at manchester and was stood up the rest of the way there.. 40minutes :frown:
And haha, yeah.. they weren't particularly outstanding but you'd survive in them obviously haha! or else they wouldn't let people live there :') andd yeah, i think it had a microwave and a kettle and possibly a small fridge freezer. there was also a 'drying room' for clothes too haha, as in a place to hang them up if you didnt want to use the actual machine dryer! handy i guess.
and yeahh, that'd be so so annoying. especially if you had to take posters and things down :/ wouldn't really feel like your place to live!
and oh god really hahah :/ typicaaaaaaal! xx

Heyyy...have you applied for accommodation? I did a couple of days ago...you may not believe this but I put RANKIN as my first choice ahaha. I'm too much of a sucker for the 'it's really social' & 'they have great parties' talk :') yay prison block halls <3 hahaha. I'm guessing you ended up putting down D&R? :smile: xx
Reply 803
SOOOOO CONFUSED!

I know I’ve asked people already about the whole finance side of things and understand that we can apply for an NHS bursary and we can also get a maintenance loan from student finance but the highest amount we can get through that is £2400 something like that! So with the NHS bursary and student loan together we would be lucky to get about £6/7,000 which seems like a lot but once you take away accommodation costs it leaves you about £50 a week to live on! Yet people that aren't on NHS courses can get a loan at £5,500 plus apply for grants etc aswell up to an extra £3,250 which gives them so much more money to live, how is this possible? Surely us NHS students should be entitled to something more as opposed to living off £50 a week :/ Or have i missed something?!

Help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee!!
Reply 804
Original post by CaraS
Heyyy...have you applied for accommodation? I did a couple of days ago...you may not believe this but I put RANKIN as my first choice ahaha. I'm too much of a sucker for the 'it's really social' & 'they have great parties' talk :') yay prison block halls <3 hahaha. I'm guessing you ended up putting down D&R? :smile: xx

Haha! Yess i've done it :biggrin: i put D&R self-catered ensuite for 1st, D&R self-catered for 2nd andd roscoe n gladstone for 3rd :')
I'll have to come down to your party hall a few timeees! xx
Reply 805
Original post by Kirsty5
SOOOOO CONFUSED!

I know I’ve asked people already about the whole finance side of things and understand that we can apply for an NHS bursary and we can also get a maintenance loan from student finance but the highest amount we can get through that is £2400 something like that! So with the NHS bursary and student loan together we would be lucky to get about £6/7,000 which seems like a lot but once you take away accommodation costs it leaves you about £50 a week to live on! Yet people that aren't on NHS courses can get a loan at £5,500 plus apply for grants etc aswell up to an extra £3,250 which gives them so much more money to live, how is this possible? Surely us NHS students should be entitled to something more as opposed to living off £50 a week :/ Or have i missed something?!

Help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee!!

You gett £1000 fro mthe NHS (everyone does) and a reduced rate maintenance loan from student finance of about £2300. Then you can also apply for a income based bursary from the NHS which goes up to £5000 (depending on household income obviously aha) so yeh.. i'll be lucky if i get like £50 from the income based bursary thing :mad: which should be fun.. might just have to start thinking about saving up haha.. £50 is fine to live on per week, ive read some people who only have £20/30 haha! you just have to learn to budget and things.. i know this probably doesnt really help but yeh :/ you could also get an overdraft from your bank.. alot do student ones :smile: xx
Reply 806
You gett £1000 fro mthe NHS (everyone does) and a reduced rate maintenance loan from student finance of about £2300. Then you can also apply for a income based bursary from the NHS which goes up to £5000 (depending on household income obviously aha) so yeh.. i'll be lucky if i get like £50 from the income based bursary thing :mad: which should be fun.. might just have to start thinking about saving up haha.. £50 is fine to live on per week, ive read some people who only have £20/30 haha! you just have to learn to budget and things.. i know this probably doesnt really help but yeh :/ you could also get an overdraft from your bank.. alot do student ones :smile: xx

That was including the extra £1000 we get from the NHS, which is even more worrying! Lol, whats more annoying i was just checking the uni website and although they are entitled to more money than us they can also apply for a bursary from the uni but the NHS students cant! Soooooo unfair! £50 a week is going to be tough, shopping and alcohol can be expensive! Looks like i wont be eating much to fund my nights out! Haaaaa :wink: Should be funnnnn xx
Reply 807
Original post by Kirsty5
That was including the extra £1000 we get from the NHS, which is even more worrying! Lol, whats more annoying i was just checking the uni website and although they are entitled to more money than us they can also apply for a bursary from the uni but the NHS students cant! Soooooo unfair! £50 a week is going to be tough, shopping and alcohol can be expensive! Looks like i wont be eating much to fund my nights out! Haaaaa :wink: Should be funnnnn xx

hahaha. i know.. i've no idea why we dont get as much maintenance loan from student finance??? its ridiculous :frown: which uni have you firmed? and haha! we'll be living on like 9p noodles from tesco :') xx
Reply 808
Firmed Northampton (: Haaaa, 9p noodles could be our life savers! Packet of those before a night out and all is sorted! Loll, the joys of being a student ayy! Haaa, and we have it all too look forward too! Loll xx
Reply 809
Original post by Kirsty5
Firmed Northampton (: Haaaa, 9p noodles could be our life savers! Packet of those before a night out and all is sorted! Loll, the joys of being a student ayy! Haaa, and we have it all too look forward too! Loll xx

ooh nice :smile: i cant wait till september! :h: and lmfao! i actually quite like the cheap noodles from tesco already... so ill be fine hahaha! xx
Reply 810
Me toooo, although i'll be slightly more excited when everythings more offical and can apply for accomadation and the whole NHS money thing! I haven't tryed the noodles, something i'll def's look into though! Haaa, nearest place to go shopping is asda for me and there scamming me of an extra 2p!! Haaaa xx
Reply 811
Original post by Kirsty5
Me toooo, although i'll be slightly more excited when everythings more offical and can apply for accomadation and the whole NHS money thing! I haven't tryed the noodles, something i'll def's look into though! Haaa, nearest place to go shopping is asda for me and there scamming me of an extra 2p!! Haaaa xx

Hahaha ooh can you not apply for acomm yet?? I've firmed liverpool and theyve just sent out applications for it this week aha :smile: and i knoww, dreading sorting out the NHS side of stuff :confused: haha! i dont even know how much the ones in tesco are hahaha :frown: i know theyre cheaaap though :') xx
Reply 812
Nope not that im aware off, but cant really do much at the moment cause easter weekend so nobody i can contact til tuesday! Ahh, bet it feels like your one step closer! I just want a room confirmed and hope i get my first choice, i NEED my own bathroom! Haaa, really dont wanna share for my first year!! Lollllll xx
Reply 813
Original post by Kirsty5
Nope not that im aware off, but cant really do much at the moment cause easter weekend so nobody i can contact til tuesday! Ahh, bet it feels like your one step closer! I just want a room confirmed and hope i get my first choice, i NEED my own bathroom! Haaa, really dont wanna share for my first year!! Lollllll xx

Haha yeh i know :') im sure you'll be able to apply soon i think all unis are sorting it out within the next few months. ahaha yeh i know :') i've got an unconditional offer so i know that im definately going to lpool! i just want my room confirmed too, and i also hope i get my first choice as thts the only ensuite room i put down!! xx
Reply 814
Original post by Kirsty5

Lol £50 wont be too bad to liver off per week as you need what £20 on food then £30 to spare say I'm someone who makes all my food so will be just getting veg and meat, but also looking for all the sales!!!
Reply 815
Just firmed YSJ :biggrin:
Reply 816
Original post by lorri94
Just firmed YSJ :biggrin:

oooh congrats! :cute:
Original post by Citrus queen
My interview was 25th Jan ....and heard next day I was a NO - I really did not like the set up at Cardiff, I know its top notch re OT but was not keen on the whole course being their 'unique' problem based learning, I am old school and lie chalk and talk really....so hopefully UWE best for me ! If I had got into Cardiff I would have been well chuffed however....but just needed guaranteed bursary or could not embark on this whole thing - what about you, did you want Cardiff ? Think I might have remebered only guy on ANY ot interview day....in 4 interview days I have seen one very nervous looking 18 year old boy ...bless !

Hey hope Kenya's going good, I went to UWE the other day, and they also the problem based learning:eek: I looked, asked more about it and It sounds cool for me as most of the work is delivered through presentations, and I like standing in front of people talking....hope to hear back from them this week
Just firmed Oxford Brookes :smile: now to work out the finance?
Reply 819
Haha! Yess i've done it :biggrin: i put D&R self-catered ensuite for 1st, D&R self-catered for 2nd andd roscoe n gladstone for 3rd :')
I'll have to come down to your party hall a few timeees! xx

Was so excited when the email came through :biggrin: Ahh sounds good! & yup definitely! September is creeping closer & closer, I can't wait ^_^ xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending