The Student Room Group

Guys and girls, attractiveness of rugby players' physiques

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by MC armani
Ulysses has an awesome physique, probably better legs and v taper. But Plitt's the only person to make the cover of Men's Fitness (fitness model) and Muscle and Fitness (bodybuilding). He earns respect from the bodybuilders and your average joe who wants to get fit. I reckon he's leaner than Ulysses as well, from those pics.

He's basically superhuman. Did you hear about his accident when he sawed of the ends of 3 of his fingers? He took the ends that had been cut off, drove to a hospital, had them stitched back on and was back in the gym after just a few weeks. Most people would take months to recover from something like that. He's a total machine.

Don't wanna derail the thread but.....FUAAAAARRRK:

Just watched 3 of his videos, dude is inspiring as fuarkkkk.
This is the most motivational one for me so far. What his saying makes so much sense.
(edited 12 years ago)
Give me a rugby player any day :sexface:
Reply 62
oh my, that man in the first picture is a rather handsome chap...
Reply 63
I think rugby players are very attractive. Especially their thighs.

But I also like skinny boys as well... so... :s-smilie:
Reply 64
Original post by flown_muse
It's the legs that get me. Post more pics of rugby men legs please :sexface:

Reply 65
Original post by mrswomble
oh my, that man in the first picture is a rather handsome chap...

So, Sonny Bill...

or Dan Carter...

Who'd you choose?
Reply 66
Original post by IHopeIGetIt
Personally wouldn't go for that. Prefer my men slimmer. I'm honestly not a massive fan of the six-pack (I know, I'm weird).

You're not alone, I don't like 6 packs at all. I like skinny guys :smile:
Reply 67
Not for me, ta. Just don't find it attractive, 6 packs just look weird to me.

That'll do :sexface:
So, Sonny Bill...

:teehee: :biggrin:
Original post by JoMo1
There is a difference. Rugby players get into a gym to lift as a support to training, but most of the training and a lot of the muscle comes from being out on a pitch trying to stop guys who look like that beasting you around. I have a theory that playing sports will give you a more naturally muscular appearance due to it coming from more natural movements (natural in the sense of movements that would be done while fighting/hunting/fleeing on an evolutionary timescale), whereas working out in a sterile gym environment as your primary exercise will over or underwork certain areas, causing imbalance or pointlessly muscled physiques (from an evolutionary standpoint). By no means is this wholeheartedly convincing, but it does have a large degree of plausibility.

There's also the obvious: They're not going to the gym to directly look better or get bigger, they're going to the gym to get better at rugby. One is vain, the other is, for reasons I still don't fully understand, attractive.

I'm afraid your theory is absolute nonsense.

Playing sports actually does the opposite of what you say: it will make you smaller and weaker. This is because to play rugby you need an extreme amount of conditioning and the training required to gain this conditioning is not conductive to gaining muscle mass - that's why bodybuilders have an aversion to cardio training.

Players very much are in the gym to gain muscular size, and you'll find large amounts of sports training programmes are based on this style of training. This is firstly to help players become the size required to be an effective player (notice how players are a lot more muscular in the professional era compared to the amateur one) and secondly to regain the size and strength lost during the season.

Let us switch briefly to the sport of American Football because it is very similar to rugby, and also because I have books specifically about training for American football. Players were always smaller and weaker after the rigours of a full season of matches and spent much of the off-season training in the gym to regain this size and strength and hopefully even maybe come back bigger and stronger.

Now onto your theory about gym work "overworking" certain areas. This is also nonsense. In fact it is fairly common for athletes to be in the gym working on the areas that their own sport overworks. E.g. swimmers work on their backs due to the muscular imbalance swimming causes; Lance Armstrong works on this hamstrings and glutes due to the imbalance that cycling causes; and the same is true for many other sports.
Reply 71
Original post by Smack
I'm afraid your theory is absolute nonsense.

Playing sports actually does the opposite of what you say: it will make you smaller and weaker. This is because to play rugby you need an extreme amount of conditioning and the training required to gain this conditioning is not conductive to gaining muscle mass - that's why bodybuilders have an aversion to cardio training.

Players very much are in the gym to gain muscular size, and you'll find large amounts of sports training programmes are based on this style of training. This is firstly to help players become the size required to be an effective player (notice how players are a lot more muscular in the professional era compared to the amateur one) and secondly to regain the size and strength lost during the season.

Let us switch briefly to the sport of American Football because it is very similar to rugby, and also because I have books specifically about training for American football. Players were always smaller and weaker after the rigours of a full season of matches and spent much of the off-season training in the gym to regain this size and strength and hopefully even maybe come back bigger and stronger.

Now onto your theory about gym work "overworking" certain areas. This is also nonsense. In fact it is fairly common for athletes to be in the gym working on the areas that their own sport overworks. E.g. swimmers work on their backs due to the muscular imbalance swimming causes; Lance Armstrong works on this hamstrings and glutes due to the imbalance that cycling causes; and the same is true for many other sports.

Note the bit where I all but said "Bigger isn't necessarily better". I do realise that bodybuilding builds more muscle mass, my point was that there may be a scientific-esque reason why girls do not necessarily like the biggest, most muscular men. From a resource management standpoint, super hulks make no sense.
Reply 72
Yes x4. You could easily post 4 pictures of slim men and my reply would be the same. I'm not too fussy.
Reply 73
Original post by Xenopain
Nah, Plitt is a bit overrated. Isn't Ulysses a bodybuilder as opposed to fitness model? If he was a fitness model, I'm pretty sure he'd give Greg a run for his money if he was.

****ing amazing. Also, it's the physique Zyzz aspired too so instant point. :tongue: Don't get me wrong though, Greg has an amazing physique too but in my opinion, Ulisses just ****ted on him.

Eurgh! He has beautiful hair and a lovely face though.
Original post by JoMo1
Note the bit where I all but said "Bigger isn't necessarily better".

No, I am not sure where your post says that.

I do realise that bodybuilding builds more muscle mass, my point was that there may be a scientific-esque reason why girls do not necessarily like the biggest, most muscular men. From a resource management standpoint, super hulks make no sense.

The scientific reason is probably: because it looks stupid.
Reply 75
Original post by Smack
No, I am not sure where your post says that.
all but said

The scientific reason is probably: because it looks stupid.

That's less a scientific reason and more a vague and mostly meaningless statement.
Original post by JoMo1
all but said

In real life I am not sure if we have ever encountered a situation where being bigger won't at least lead on to other factors that imply better because without heavy anabolics use the human body simply does not grow that big when combined with the rigours of intense sports training and matches. This is also probably why there are no strength programmes with the goal of getting smaller. There are some designed to keep the athlete the same size, but these are only utilised in sports where there are weight classes and it is deemed that the benefit of being bigger is not worth the athlete being in a weight class in which the participants are much bigger and stronger than said athlete.

That's less a scientific reason and more a vague and mostly meaningless statement.

It perfectly explains why females do not find bodybuilders (the men with the biggest muscles) attractive.
Reply 77
Original post by Smack
In real life I am not sure if we have ever encountered a situation where being bigger won't at least lead on to other factors that imply better because without heavy anabolics use the human body simply does not grow that big when combined with the rigours of intense sports training and matches. This is also probably why there are no strength programmes with the goal of getting smaller. There are some designed to keep the athlete the same size, but these are only utilised in sports where there are weight classes and it is deemed that the benefit of being bigger is not worth the athlete being in a weight class in which the participants are much bigger and stronger than said athlete.

I'm talking about an evolutionary explanation for why women find muscular men attractive. There'll be some level of 'sweet spot' where you have enough muscle to hunt/fight well, but not too much that it's an undue strain on resources to maintain it.

It perfectly explains why females do not find bodybuilders (the men with the biggest muscles) attractive.

It may well do, but vacuously so. It's in no way a scientific explanation. I'm trying to reason out some logic behind what you're saying, not just say it.
Reply 78
I'd want to have muscles, yes, but not really a broad build like that, it wouldn't fit with my personality or style.
Yes! Pretty much ideal. Any more muscle than that is verging into freaky territory though.

Quick Reply

Latest