Turn on thread page Beta

Gaining muscle and bulking up - what's best for me watch

ReputationRep:
    Here's me now

http://postimage.org/image/1iu6oe610/

http://postimage.org/image/1iv23lres/

Wondering what the best exercises to do before I hit the gym and the free weights are?

I'm looking to not spend anything at all for a while, at least a few weeks.
    Looking at things like press ups and crunches at the minute

Advice on things to do that don't require money and space (i.e. a chin/pull up bar, which does)?

I'll be working, and when I get paid I can afford the gym and will save for weights.

Want the best advice on how to develop strength and muscle pre-gym

And then the best routine to go for when I start back on the weights

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Well tbh you've answered your own question... push ups and crunches. Maybe throw in some russian twists and woodchoppers (use a backpack full of books as a weight). Maybe do the 100 push ups challenge, as that'll get you some decent results when you start out, although obviously there's a limit to how far you can go with push ups.

Once you get gym membership, you'll probably want to follow either a 3 x 12 or 5 x 5 workout. There are plenty online, just do some research into what's best for your goals. Also do some research into diet, as this is important too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLB)
    Well tbh you've answered your own question... push ups and crunches. Maybe throw in some russian twists and woodchoppers (use a backpack full of books as a weight). Maybe do the 100 push ups challenge, as that'll get you some decent results when you start out, although obviously there's a limit to how far you can go with push ups.

Once you get gym membership, you'll probably want to follow either a 3 x 12 or 5 x 5 workout. There are plenty online, just do some research into what's best for your goals. Also do some research into diet, as this is important too.
    Any idea on good exercises to train back/legs without using weights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmoreAmore)
    Any idea on good exercises to train back/legs without using weights?
    Pull ups are pretty good for back, if you've got anywhere you can do them. If not, you can still work the back using push ups - moving your hands closer together puts more strain on your back, as does lowering yourself really slowly.

Legs are a bit harder... lunges are probably your best bet, but you will need some sort of weight... back to the back pack I reckon... squats are good too, but I'd be surprised if you can get enough weight in a bag to make them worthwhile...

ReputationRep:
    Pushups and Crunches will get you nowhere

I promise you - NO WHERE

In order to build muscle, you need to use progressively heavier weights. Progressive overload

Go to the gym

Bench press
    Squats
    Bent over rows
    Chin ups
    Pull ups
    Squats
    Military press
    deadlift if youre up for it

I PROMISE you'll get 100x better results in a few months than you would with years of pushups. lulz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Average_Aaron)

I promise you - NO WHERE

In order to build muscle, you need to use progressively heavier weights. Progressive overload

Go to the gym

Bench press
    Squats
    Bent over rows
    Chin ups
    Pull ups
    Squats
    Military press

I PROMISE you'll get 100x better results in a few months than you would with years of pushups. lulz
    Did you not read the first post? He said he wanted information on things he could be doing before he gets a gym membership when he gets paid.

ReputationRep:

I promise you - NO WHERE

Go to the gym

Bench press
    Squats
    Bent over rows
    Chin ups
    Pull ups
    Squats
    Military press

Progressive overload is perfectly possible with push ups... do different variations, wear a weighted back pack, whatever... and crunches are pretty good as well, most people do them, regardless of gym membership. While I agree results from a gym are better, that doesn't mean working out at home is a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davsters)
    Did you not read the first post? He said he wanted information on things he could be doing before he gets a gym membership when he gets paid.
    How long must he wait before getting paid lol. Seriously, if he has to wait a month, it's pointless doing pushups/crunches. It wont help anything.

(Original post by JLB)
    Progressive overload is perfectly possible with push ups... do different variations, wear a weighted back pack, whatever... and crunches are pretty good as well, most people do them, regardless of gym membership. While I agree results from a gym are better, that doesn't mean working out at home is a waste of time.
    Find me a single person who built decent muscle with pushups.

Granted crunches are fine for abs, but they're a smaller muscle group. You cannot build a chest with pushups and I won't be persuaded otherwise.

ReputationRep:

You've got me there... however I think a large part of this is that anyone with the motivation and commitment to build decent muscle is going to get gym membership. I don't think the flaw is with the exercise itself, and for starting out it's hard enough to be generally OK ( a surprising number of people can't do 3 sets of 12 pushups, so for starting out this exercise is fine. Granted it only works up to a point).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLB)
    Pull ups are pretty good for back, if you've got anywhere you can do them. If not, you can still work the back using push ups - moving your hands closer together puts more strain on your back, as does lowering yourself really slowly.

Legs are a bit harder... lunges are probably your best bet, but you will need some sort of weight... back to the back pack I reckon... squats are good too, but I'd be surprised if you can get enough weight in a bag to make them worthwhile...
    Cheers, will go with that.

Given that the exercises are good cardio in themselves and that I want to be bulking up when I get a gym membership, is it worth me adding extra cardio to the routine? Or will I just lose mass thatd be better saved for bulking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLB)

I'm sure what you've said is great an all but.. Woahhhhh cool name

ReputationRep:

Given that the exercises are good cardio in themselves and that I want to be bulking up when I get a gym membership, is it worth me adding extra cardio to the routine? Or will I just lose mass thatd be better saved for bulking?
    you're not going lose muscle mass by doing cardio .. Unless your doing some kind f marathon everyday.. Cardio generally is good for burning calories (compared to weights as you cant sustain the amount of work for 30 mins, you burn out quicly) and can improve muscle definition.

ReputationRep:

Granted crunches are fine for abs, but they're a smaller muscle group. You cannot build a chest with pushups and I won't be persuaded otherwise.
    For relatively quick to achieve results pushups is a very good place to start. Itl help tone the muscle and produce more lean muscle. This will certainly give a noticeable difference. Certainly you CAN build decent muscles on pushups and sit-ups along with cardio work.

The op is talking about something to start him off with. Getting in better shape and building initial stamina is a good place to start before any kind of lifting or serious bulk work- no you can't become hulk hogan with just pushups but that's not the point. Everyone needs a place to start.

ReputationRep:

Turning fats (glycagons) into muscle doesn't quite work so simply. Doing cardio will be more beneficial to you and your ability to train than the fat that could be potentially turned to muscle- as long as you eat correctly. You need to ensure that you take on enough energy/amino acids and the like (which form proteins).. Lots of good wholesome meals! it is when you don't that youl start to loose weight.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to bulk up, you're going to need to lift heavy weights and pump yourself full of protein.

Just go to the gym and focus on the main lifts. Something like Starting Strength will do.

Realistically, you're not going to gain much mass from pushups.

ReputationRep:

Basically, start by looking at diet, and making sure you get the 200g or so of protein you need daily. Then start training - if you find that you're gaining a bit too much flab, then throw in some cardio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L-J-B)
    Certainly you CAN build decent muscles on pushups and sit-ups along with cardio work.
    Do as many pushups as you like, you will remain skinny unless you have fantastic genetics.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.