The Student Room Group

9Hrs on a Megabus, help.

I'm thinking about taking the megabus from glasgow to london, but it takes about 9hrs. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience on the megabus. Would you recommend it? How busy do you reckon it will get?
I'm used to taking the bus everyday commuting into glasgow, but I'm only ever on it for a maximum of about 1 hour and tbh I'm not sure if I could handle 9hrs :s-smilie:. I suppose it wont be that bad if the coach/bus isn't that busy and there are spare seats to stretch my legs. But given that I'm 6"3 I don't know if I could handle 9hrs squashed with my knees against the back of someone elses chair. And i'm traveling myself so being stuck next to some random person wont help.

I'm traveling to kent, so it's either spend £15 on the megabus to london then catch at train to kent which will take about 9hrs on the bus plus another 1-2 hrs on a train. Or I spend £130 on a flight from edinburgh to kent about 1-2hrs. TBH I'd rather save the money, but I'm not sure. Any advice would be great thanks.

Also do you think the overnight bus would be better than the day bus.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Overnight definitely. I spent 9 hours on a flight recently and jesus christ, that was awful. The megabus must be just as depressing if not worse... Why not National Express?
Reply 2
some of them have wifi...
I did 11hours on a Megabus (Dundee to London).... Zimovane is your friend.

Try and get a train if you can afford it.x
Reminds me when a friend sparked a joint before getting on, and on the stop offs from Glasgow to London, Was the most laid back journey I've ever had.
Reply 5
I'd just go with the megabus, just think of the money you're saving compared with flying! I've been on coach journeys that has been longer than 9 hours, and although its not the most comfortable way to travel, it isn't so uncomfortable that it's worth spending an extra £115 on the journey.

Getting the coach overnight might be better as you can just try and sleep through the megabus journey.
Reply 6
I've used the megabus from Aberdeen to London (around 12hours) several times before, yes it is an absolute nightmare, I would definately recommend you take music to listen to, if only to drown out the noise of people talking loudly on their phones (happens all the time). As for day or night travel, I would recommend traveling during the day, because otherwise if you travel at night, its very hard to get much sleep with the cramped space, and you end up arriving in Glasgow very early in the morning and very groggy!

Day travel is better because you don't feel as tired, you get at least a couple of rest stops for food, and you can read in the daylight :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Shockley
I've used the megabus from Aberdeen to London (around 12hours) several times before, yes it is an absolute nightmare, I would definately recommend you take music to listen to, if only to drown out the noise of people talking loudly on their phones (happens all the time). As for day or night travel, I would recommend traveling during the day, because otherwise if you travel at night, its very hard to get much sleep with the cramped space, and you end up arriving in Glasgow very early in the morning and very groggy!

Day travel is better because you don't feel as tired, you get at least a couple of rest stops for food, and you can read in the daylight :smile:

One can also vomit after reading on a bus :smile:

Get some podcasts off iTunes OP. I recommend Desert Island Discs or In Our Time. You can take in interesting things without feeling the need to vomit afterwards.
Reply 8
Original post by PotPon
x

Original post by ChannieAlana
x

x

So it's not great then. :frown:

Thinking about it, I think i'll just get a flight, because I'm going to kent for about 4/5 days and if I take a the bus I'll spend at least 24hrs traveling down and back up because the bus only goes to london, then I need to take a train to kent. Where as I can get a flight directly to kent which only takes 50min. Also if I compare the costs of traveling on the bus and on a plane, I'm only saving about £50 because it costs £15 each way on the bus plus a train from london to kent, which will probably cost about £50-60 overall (not including any food I buy) and I've just found a flight for £108. I'd rather spend an extra £50 and get an extra days stay and travel in relative comfort, than lose a day and have a horrible time traveling.

Thanks anyway.
Reply 9
Original post by Planar
One can also vomit after reading on a bus :smile:

Get some podcasts off iTunes OP. I recommend Desert Island Discs or In Our Time. You can take in interesting things without feeling the need to vomit afterwards.

Yes, Desert Island Discs is a great choice, I listen to an archived episode every night before going to sleep :biggrin:
Reply 10
Yes, Desert Island Discs is a great choice, I listen to an archived episode every night before going to sleep :biggrin:

What ever I do, i think I'll get an audio book, I love listening to audio books when traveling.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11

A woman after my own heart! Have you heard David Attenborough? I don't know what he said, only his voice :biggrin:
I've done 27 hours straight on a coach before, and survived! Deffo opt for the night bus as it'll be easier to sleep. Ideally take a couple of pillows / cushions. How busy it will be depends on the route I suspect.

Another vote for podcasts - but I have to say that From Our Own Correspondent is my fave. closely followed by Crossing Continents. Take a copy of the paper / a couple of magazines and a book. If you have a portable console / iTouch then take that, with a couple of tv programmes downloaded if possible. And sometimes I catch up on my sewing on long journeys (just sorting out holes and stuff, nothing fancy).

I've got surviving LD transport down to such a fine art that I always come off wishing I'd had enough time to listen to this / watch that / do the other :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by ecceL .S.U
So it's not great then. :frown:

Thinking about it, I think i'll just get a flight, because I'm going to kent for about 4/5 days and if I take a the bus I'll spend at least 24hrs traveling down and back up because the bus only goes to london, then I need to take a train to kent. Where as I can get a flight directly to kent which only takes 50min. Also if I compare the costs of traveling on the bus and on a plane, I'm only saving about £50 because it costs £15 each way on the bus plus a train from london to kent, which will probably cost about £50-60 overall (not including any food I buy) and I've just found a flight for £108. I'd rather spend an extra £50 and get an extra days stay and travel in relative comfort, than lose a day and have a horrible time traveling.

Thanks anyway.

Would a train all the way maybe be a money/time/comfort compromise?
take the caledonian sleeper it's something like £20 if you book about 10 weeks in advance
I've been on a 5 hour megabus before and yes they're awful. If you can try and stretch out over 2 seats, with your legs up on one, and then when people get on pretend to be asleep. It's the only thing that seems to guarantee you any space.
I think I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than get stuck on a bus for that long. I'd rather save my sanity and pay the extra bit .
I'd say Metal Hammer Podcast is a fave, but prepare for stupid looks-I've been known to snort through laughing so much at some :P
I've done 8ish hours on a comfy coach-Cardiff(close enough) to Aachen in Germany, whigh wasn't too bad, but it was a high-end coach (Same company that do thr coach for the Welsh rugby team) and it was full of people I knew, but it did get slightly tedious when I needed a pee and there was crap music on.
-TAKE A CUSHION
-Take iPod
-Multiple Podcasts (Metal Hammer is a fave)
-Recline the seat, if possible
Reply 18
If your laptop has a decent battery (or indeed if there are power sockets on the bus, though that's unlikely) watch a film or two, bring some reading material and avoid sleep beforehand, you'll be fine. I'd also recommend the overnight train - sure, you probably won't get a full night's sleep, but you certainly won't be awake the whole journey. And I don't know what you're doing there, but it also saves a night of accomodation if you're paying for that.
Reply 19
first world problems.

Quick Reply

Latest