Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So we all go off to uni in 2012 and rack up all the debt etc
    When we finish uni it will be a new election so do you think the tuition fees will be reduced and a better system put into place?
    It could just be our year and a couple of years below that have to face all this
    That would be very unfair
    Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, some uni's that have said they will charge the full amount will realise thats its not sustainable in the long term. If they want to attact students they will need to lower their prices. The top uni's will probably be ok, but unis like Liverpool John Moores and East London which will charge £9000 in 2012 may find they need to lower their price or risk having no students.

Of course we now know that if Labour win the next election, the standard fee will come down to £6000 at all uni's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ultimate mashup)
    Yes, some uni's that have said they will charge the full amount will realise thats its not sustainable in the long term. If they want to attact students they will need to lower their prices. The top uni's will probably be ok, but unis like Liverpool John Moores and East London which will charge £9000 in 2012 may find they need to lower their price or risk having no students.

Of course we now know that if Labour win the next election, the standard fee will come down to £6000 at all uni's.
    I highly doubt that'll actually happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Nevermind the chances of Labour actually winning the election..

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the cap being removed altogether any time soon, but I can even less see it moving in the other direction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mellete)
    Nevermind the chances of Labour actually winning the election..
    The would be a good chance if Ed wasn't the leader

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it now that its been introduced, but I suspect Labour wouldn't have raised it too such a high level if they were still in government. Wacking it up from 3k to 9k, who does that?

ReputationRep:
    Oh don't say that! That'd annoy me so so so much :mad:

Me and my friends were having this conversation and one of my friends feels that raising the fees wasn't very beneficial to the government at all; in fact, it was even more costly for them. So they could lower the fees, but I doubt it will happen.

I don't really know much about politics, all I know is that the astronomical fees are very annoying but luckily, they are manageable

ReputationRep:
    Please read this -

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1694323

The fee rise is not as big of a problem as it is being made out in the media. The fee rise may actually favour some people in terms of repayment compared to the current system.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be surprised if they changed it to a graduate tax to simplify matters and stop scaring students with all the media talking as if the fees are a lump sum. Reducing the fees would be difficult though, since they'd need to also reduce all the fees for students paying £9000, so any reduction would have a HUGE cost. I think if Labour were to be in power next election it'd be more of a side step than a price reversal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    I agree. politicians for ya.

ReputationRep:
    They will be reduced. I doubt they'll go back to the old £3.5k a year though, probably to £5k or sometihng like that.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps - it's really too soon to tell, considering no one has actually charged the higher amounts yet. My prediction is some universities will find they've over-estimated their worth and have to drop, and some will find that they become more competitive and can raise them ... leading to plateau where they'll all charge the same again.

Considering that it's already costly for the government - they didn't budget for so many charging the full £9k and it's projected that the average graduate will pay less back under the new system - it's also possible that they'll be lowered by this or a future government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kronic)
    They will be reduced. I doubt they'll go back to the old £3.5k a year though, probably to £5k or sometihng like that.
    Yea exactly what I'm thinking. Even if labour win the next election they might reduce the fee's by a couple of grand but there's no way its going back to 3 grand a year. Once the universities are given the oportunity to charge up to 9 grand theres no turning back, they wouldn't be able to operate without it.

And labour would spend most of the time blaming the last party in power for the "mess" that was created, as the conservatives are doing now.

And the cursed cycle of politics continues...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.