Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I don't really post here much but I kind of need to vent while I remain relatively anonymous...

Fresher's Week was great. Away from home, yay alcohol, yay 100% freedom. Met a lot of people who I became friends with over the week and through into the second week.

Now that everyone's over that and the most excitement is a few drinks in the SU on a Friday, I feel like ****. Oddly it only truly hit me on Friday night when I found my playlist from back home and listened to all the nostalgic music. I knew I'd eventually feel homesick, but I put it out of my mind because of Fresher's Week - I didn't come to uni for the partying after all. Now, I've locked myself up in my room for the whole weekend and the last time I was out was on Friday to go into town with a friend to do some shopping and post some mail. It's not that I'm odd and want to cut off contact from people, I just really don't feel like pouring my heart out to people I met 2 weeks ago that may not develop into real friends.

So yeah, I'm 17 and living in a different country - I've never been away from home for more than 2 days before and that was only once when I was 12. Can't go home until Christmas. Everyone here seems to have taken 27 gap years and have 43 years more life experience than me when in reality they're only 2 years older than me. I feel so intimidated by this alone, and on top of that 90% of the people in my halls are lads whose only interest is going out and getting wasted every other night.

I was probably naive to not take a gap year, but it's too late for that now. Maybe it will toughen me up or whatever.

Well, that's it. No questions to ask. Just posting this for no other reason than getting my thoughts out there, and for other people feeling the same to have someone to relate to or something.

ReputationRep:
    Day by day it will get better.
    Day by day you feel less home sick.

I don't know how you feel as you came from a different country, but I only went up the road and I was ready to quit uni on my second day I was that home sick. Third day it was better, 4th better and 5th i rarely thought of home.

Just take it day by day and stick with it.

Just take it, one day at a time.

ReputationRep:
    I can relate to what you're saying, I am 17, and coming from another country as well. I am quite used of being away from home , I've often spent holidays on my own, but living away from home is so different. You can't reassure yourself thinking "it's only for two weeks", because it's supposed to be for at least 3 years.

And I feel homesick right now. i've met a lot of people, been out a lot, but my flat doesn't feel like home at all and this is bringing me down, a lot.
    I hate feeling this way, but I've heard it only gets better, so even though I am really really tempted to go back home (I've been thinking this the whole day..) I'm just gonna stick to it, see how it goes, and hope everything will be alright...

ReputationRep:
    I feel for you OP, I'm only on my 4th day of Freshers and I already want to go home... It's like I'd hyped Uni up so much.. moving into halls, making new friends, being in a new exciting place etc.. So far, despite some fun moments and not any real negative ones, I kinda hate it :/

I can't really offer any advice.. yet, anyway... But you're not alone..

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has that problem I think, once you get into the swing of your new life you'll be fine. I bet you felt a longing for the comforts of your primary school when you moved to secondary? Same thing. Just bigger.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah just give university a while and you'll get into it... its too early!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.