Is it illegal to write on money? Watch

jardantuan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm not entirely sure this is the right place, but it seemed the most suitable. Apologies if I'm wrong, in which case, could it be moved to the correct forums?

Long story short, I dabble in magic (the card trick type stuff, not black magic ) and I'm in the process of working a trick in which a spectator would choose a card, only to find it disappears from the deck. Then, I get them to check their wallet/purse, and their card is written on a coin/note.

I'm just concerned that doing so would make the currency unusable - would I be fine doing this?
Chav Princess
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, it's very illegal. You will be locked in the Tower and beheaded the following sunrise.
Artemis 97
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yes it's fine to write on notes and you often see money with bits of writing on them. I think there's a limit but a name or a few words is fine.
jardantuan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chav Princess)
Yes, it's very illegal. You will be locked in the Tower and beheaded the following sunrise.
Yeah yeah I know there wouldn't be major consequences but I was more concerned that I'd be down a fiver every time I do the trick
ilovemeow
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yup its legal
http://http://www.facebook.com/BankNoteCampaign?sk=wall
Arekkusu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Writing on money is fine, though people might be a bit funny about the idea of you putting your hands in their purse or wallet to plant the note on them.
Tortious
Badges: 16
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jardantuan)
I'm not entirely sure this is the right place, but it seemed the most suitable. Apologies if I'm wrong, in which case, could it be moved to the correct forums?

Long story short, I dabble in magic (the card trick type stuff, not black magic ) and I'm in the process of working a trick in which a spectator would choose a card, only to find it disappears from the deck. Then, I get them to check their wallet/purse, and their card is written on a coin/note.

I'm just concerned that doing so would make the currency unusable - would I be fine doing this?
Yes, apparently it's an offence to deface a note under the Currency and Banknotes Act 1928.

I doubt that the note would be refused if it were genuine though - just mark it discreetly ("K♥", for instance).
denislaw
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Bank clerks regularly write on piles of notes after counting a load off.
jardantuan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arekkusu)
Writing on money is fine, though people might be a bit funny about the idea of you putting your hands in their purse or wallet to plant the note on them.
That's the bit that needs work haha

(Original post by Tortious)
I doubt that the note would be refused if it were genuine though - just mark it discreetly ("K♥", for instance).
Given that I may end up writing a number rather than a face card, would that not count as attempting to alter the value of the note or something like that? I know it wouldn't be a very good attempt if I write it in the middle of the note, but still
i.am.lost
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's permissible, but even if the damage becomes extensive and it's refused by shops then it's not an issue - you simply complete this form and the Bank of England will send you a shiny new note instead! http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/BEMN.pdf
Tortious
Badges: 16
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by i.am.lost)
It's permissible, but even if the damage becomes extensive and it's refused by shops then it's not an issue - you simply complete this form and the Bank of England will send you a shiny new note instead! http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/BEMN.pdf
I think that only applies to notes which are physically damaged or destroyed rather than defaced.

Given that I may end up writing a number rather than a face card, would that not count as attempting to alter the value of the note or something like that? I know it wouldn't be a very good attempt if I write it in the middle of the note, but still :p:
That's more iffy. Section 12 states:

If any person prints or stamps, or by any like means impresses, on any bank note any words, letters or figures, he shall, in respect of each offence, be liable on summary conviction to a penalty...
On that basis, yes, it's illegal. But you see "100" and the like written on notes all the time where they've been marked to keep count, so I don't think anything would happen to you in practice. You could always do it in pencil! :p:
Vikki1805
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's perfectly fine. Have you never received a note with writing on it? Where the shop keeper has scribbled numbers, or names.
I received a note before with a poem written on for Caroline...
AspiringGenius
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
you're IP has been logged, the Beefeaters are coming to get yah!!!
i.am.lost
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tortious)
I think that only applies to notes which are physically damaged or destroyed rather than defaced.
Maybe you're right, but he could just burn half of it and they'd definitely accept it then!
snowyowl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I work in a shop and I think nothing of taking notes that have been written on, and I think everyone (my managers included) would think I was a bit of an idiot if I attempted to refuse them.

You'll be fine.
Chav Princess
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Actually it is, see Section 12:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...-19/13#IDAPOF4

Penalty for defacing bank notes.

If any person prints or stamps, or by any like means impresses, on any bank note any words, letters or figures, he shall, in respect of each offence, be liable on summary conviction to a penalty not exceeding [level 1 on the standard scale].
philistine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jardantuan)

I don't know about anyone else, though I will continue to uphold the standard of excellence taken in producing 'lion cash':

cascadingstylez
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I took out £2,000 in £5 notes and write a on them "Make Money www.bit.ly/****" in the corner. It actually got hits to an affiliate program I was running.

They couldn't point the finger at me. If the peace officers even approached me about it I'd first laugh at them, and then tell them to prove it wasn't my competitors.

Statues are silly. I don't abide by a single one of them that doesn't cause harm to a person or their property. And seen as money is one giant illusion and is as valuable as the paper it's written on, I'd tell the peace officers I used it as scrap paper because I couldn't find any.

And then laugh again.
Iconflictdon
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by snowyowl)
I work in a shop and I think nothing of taking notes that have been written on, and I think everyone (my managers included) would think I was a bit of an idiot if I attempted to refuse them.You'll be fine.
I have a note with “**** the piggs” and the queen smoking a spliff with a beanie hat over her eyes like one of the bad guys off next Friday.. would you accept that?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads