Turn on thread page Beta

Okay, so when looking straight at my face, my jaw looks normal. But from a side view, it looks really bad. It's made me self concious since reaching puberty because the rest of my face has grown further outward

I'm 19 1/2 atm and hoping desperately that my jaw will grow soon. I have an overbite of around 1cm, which I know doesn't sound bad but it does look really dodgy. My older brother's jaw grew quite late and the area from my chin to the top of the neck kind of bulges, as if everything is set apart from my jaw bone. Could it be possible for it to grow yet? Would extending my jaw (simply using face muscles) encourage it's growth?

Please advise me, it makes me feel depressed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay, so when looking straight at my face, my jaw looks normal. But from a side view, it looks really bad. It's made me self concious since reaching puberty because the rest of my face has grown further outward

I'm 19 1/2 atm and hoping desperately that my jaw will grow soon. I have an overbite of around 1cm, which I know doesn't sound bad but it does look really dodgy. My older brother's jaw grew quite late and the area from my chin to the top of the neck kind of bulges, as if everything is set apart from my jaw bone. Could it be possible for it to grow yet? Would extending my jaw (simply using face muscles) encourage it's growth?

You can grow until your 21, some have reported still growing until 22/23. I wouldn't worry about it too much at the moment, you are still only 19 1/2 at the moment. You say your brother's jaw is quite large, it's quite likely you'll follow the same characteristics depending on how similar you are, hair colour, eyes, skin colouring etc

If you find it hasn't corrected itself in about a year and you've still got an overbite that's causing you problems (?) then see your doctor about it.

ReputationRep:
    Hit the Gym son. It makes everything bigger

Spoiler:
    Show
    Especially your veins

ReputationRep:

I had the opposite problem, my lower jaw grew earlier than the rest of my jaw and made me look quite odd for a few years. But then it all evened out about age 19, and now I have a strong jaw, but not a weird looking one!

I can't say the same will happen for you, but parts of the body grow at different rates, especially during adolescence. If your brothers grew quite late then it's definatly possible yours could too.

It's just that I seem to have stopped growing and I'm getting quite concerned about my small jaw. Makes me look quite nerdy when looking at me from the side

Lol, as far as I know, the only way hitting the gym can affect jaw size is with the use of steds...or am i mistaken?

ReputationRep:
    It's just that I seem to have stopped growing and I'm getting quite concerned about my small jaw. Makes me look quite nerdy when looking at me from the side

Lol, as far as I know, the only way hitting the gym can affect jaw size is with the use of steds...or am i mistaken?
    Going to the gym will not affect the growth of your jaw.

However! Getting in good shape will make you feel better about yourself. Plus, there's nothing wrong with a small jaw, e.g. Zach Braff (appreciating male looks as a heterosexual).

Anyone got some solid evidence to back up the fact that I still got time?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.