Turn on thread page Beta

Whilst I am at uni my parents barely ever speak to me, when I text my mum she basically never texts back and my parents don't ever show they care to be honest. They don't even show they care about each other, when it was my mums birthday recently my dad went to hug her and it was so forced and awkward.. I've never seen them hug or kiss each other. For me and my sister it would be really awkward for us to hug them and even my sister says that. To even kiss my parents would be awkward.. only on their birthday would I give them a kiss on the cheek.

I'm not a very huggy person with friends.. but if I'm alone with a guy then I would hug them/kiss them/be affectionate. I don't like it how my parents have made it so awkward for me and my sister to be openly affectionate towards people! They've never said I love you or we miss you or anything really. If I speak to them online they are quite blunt and just like 'bye'

My flat mates were like what? when I said this they were like I always hug my mum... and my mum always says I love you etc. Neither of my parents have had parents that show any affection towards them really. And it just frustrates me... I want to know how other people are with their parents? When I have children I definitely want to hug them/be affectionate with them.. not like my parents are. I don't understand why they are even ashamed to hug each other?

ReputationRep:
    Please, please, please can we swap?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coeusful)
    Please, please, please can we swap?
    Ha ha ha ha this is so funny!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they want you to get used to not having them around? They might think that if there's less of a connection with you, then you will be forced to make university friends.

ReputationRep:
    similar with me, never hug parents, very awkward the few time i have. very little affection is shown but its just their way i guess. if your not happy just try making efforts with people like your sister i suppose, just cos its awkward with parents doesnt mean it has to be with other people

ReputationRep:
    It's not a big thing really. It doesn't represent how close you are with your parents.

I am close with my parents and I'll only hug them if it's appropriate to the occasion, e.g. a birthday.

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly how you feel! I'm like that with my mum. We get along most of the time but tbh she isn't really that bothered all that bothered what I do, we don't hug or 'show affection' (like saying love you/miss you) or anything of the sort, that would be incredibly weird. And I'm not really a very huggy person either, I like hugging/cuddling with guys and my best friend but not so much with other friends, tends to feel a bit forced and awkward when they just dive in for hugs.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.