Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone knows the structure of an interview Sales Assistant role, I know it will be the typical questions on customer service/experience etc, but any help from people who have worked/work there would be highly appreciated! I'm nervous!

ReputationRep:
    I worked for H&M in 2009,so I'm not sure if much has changed since then but I can give you a rough idea of what it is like. The interview was with two store managers and was fairly relaxed. They asked the generic "Why do you want to work here?" kind of questions. They also asked who I thought H&M's main competitors were and were keen to hear examples of times I had experienced conflict in the workplace and how I resolved it! Also,be warned,the induction/training days were incredibly long and boring! The first day was 9-5 in a hotel room, watching slideshows all day, and there are various other training days taking place in stores. The job itself is pretty straight forward though, just like any other retail job really! Hope that helps a bit,let me know if there's anything else you need answered

ReputationRep:
    How did you apply? I know they have an online recruitment site but it never seems to be updated :s

Or did you just hand a CV in??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natz_O)
    I worked for H&M in 2009,so I'm not sure if much has changed since then but I can give you a rough idea of what it is like. The interview was with two store managers and was fairly relaxed. They asked the generic "Why do you want to work here?" kind of questions. They also asked who I thought H&M's main competitors were and were keen to hear examples of times I had experienced conflict in the workplace and how I resolved it! Also,be warned,the induction/training days were incredibly long and boring! The first day was 9-5 in a hotel room, watching slideshows all day, and there are various other training days taking place in stores. The job itself is pretty straight forward though, just like any other retail job really! Hope that helps a bit,let me know if there's anything else you need answered
    Thanks so much! By conflict do you mean between employees or with a customer? Aargh that would be a hard question! Haha I'm not too bothered about training days if I get the job, thats all I'm bothered about! My interview is in some posh hotel because the store hasn't opened yet so that should be fun..! What are the shift lengths like, and the wage for an under 18? (I'm 18 in January though!) Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1meg2009)
    How did you apply? I know they have an online recruitment site but it never seems to be updated :s

Or did you just hand a CV in??
    I applied online, had never thought they had an online site but I had a look at it and it turns out a new store is opening near me so the positions were on there, you could hand a CV in to an existing store though I'm sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by livvyp)
    Thanks so much! By conflict do you mean between employees or with a customer? Aargh that would be a hard question! Haha I'm not too bothered about training days if I get the job, thats all I'm bothered about! My interview is in some posh hotel because the store hasn't opened yet so that should be fun..! What are the shift lengths like, and the wage for an under 18? (I'm 18 in January though!) Thanks!
    Conflict with both,but in particular between staff members,which I thought was weird! I just told them about petty disputes I'd encountered in the workplace and how they were resolved! I just said I avoid confrontation and try to settle disputes on a personal level before involving managers.

Yeah,mine was in a hotel because it was a new shop! Though,because it's a new shop,they will expect you to work extra hours to help them set up and deal with the rush they'll get from being a new store and leading up to christmas! The shifts varied,I was never on the same shifts from week to week,and tbh,they didn't really listen to me when I told them about the days/times I couldn't do because I'm a student,but I could just have been unlucky with the managers I had to deal with,I'm sure they're not all like that! Just make it clear from the outset how many hours you are able to do and what days/shifts you can do.

I'm sure the wage was a tiny bit over minimum wage,but nothing amazing,like most retail jobs really!

Some of the managers I dealt with weren't the best,but the staff in general were really nice and it's a good atmosphere to work in in that sense! And the good thing is you are trained on all aspects of the store,so one day you could be dealing with bringing in the delivery and the next you could be on a till,which breaks things up a bit!

Hope you get on well in your interview!

ReputationRep:
    I got a job recently there and the wage for under 18 is like £5 something for the first 3 months then goes up. Research the company they get impressed if you know stuff about them.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all the help, had my interview this afternoon and I think it went really well! It was very relaxed and I had researched the company which they did seem very impressed at haha, and the other questions went okay too. They said they'd let me know within 7 days so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by livvyp)
    Thank you for all the help, had my interview this afternoon and I think it went really well! It was very relaxed and I had researched the company which they did seem very impressed at haha, and the other questions went okay too. They said they'd let me know within 7 days so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
    Apparently if you don't have the job, they email you within a few days telling you. So if you don't get an email, you have it

ReputationRep:
    I got the job! Thank you for all your advice, I'm so excited to start!

ReputationRep:
    hii, i've got an interview on tuesday was it pretty much as stated above or wre there some slight changes? what's the interview like

ReputationRep:
    ohh and whats the dress code

ReputationRep:
    The dress code is wear whatever you like as long as it's smart (so no joggers) and as long as it doesn't have a giant logo on it like says ADIDAS in big letters somewhere.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.