Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Where on earth in the act does it even suggest that?

Rape is unfair on the mother and would/could cause severe mental problems for her - it quite clearly says in the act that if so, then its allowable.

And also 2 doctors would definitely agree to an abortion if some1 was raped.

You haven't proved anything, whatsoever.
    You seem to be (rather conveniently) ignoring my earlier source, so the owness is on you to produce proof.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I'm referring to what you have been doing.
    If you think that abortion after rape is illegal, then yes I still stand by the fact that you are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be (rather conveniently) ignoring my earlier source, so the owness is on you to produce proof.
    "United Kingdom: In England, Scotland and Wales, abortion is allowed to save a woman's life, for health, economic or social reasons." - Rape is both a health and social reason.

"(b) that the termination is necessary to prevent grave permanent injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman" - Rape could and probably would most definitely cause this.

Its pretty obvious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    You are ignoring my source, which says that the NHS allows abortion in the case of rape (are they really breaking the law) and the other source from BBC just posted here.
    The NHS is just confirming what is true - that abortion after rape is accepted. This doesn't make it legal (for the millionth time). Neither was I aware that the NHS system was a law.

It amazes me that quite a few people seem to be under the impression that I believe that abortion as a result of rape doesn't occur because it is illegal.

I was simply defending another posters correct statement that abortion following rape is not a condition (by law) for legal abortion.

Whether there is mental trauma resulting from the rape, by pregnancy, etc, is not what I'm stating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    "United Kingdom: In England, Scotland and Wales, abortion is allowed to save a woman's life, for health, economic or social reasons." - Rape is both a health and social reason.

"(b) that the termination is necessary to prevent grave permanent injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman" - Rape could and probably would most definitely cause this.

Its pretty obvious.
    I'm debating whether rape is a specified condition for abortion to take place, which it duly isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    If you think that abortion after rape is illegal, then yes I still stand by the fact that you are wrong.
    It's not up for debate. It is a fact. One which some people are taking (for no necessary reason) quite badly.

ReputationRep:
    Its not specified, its implied.
    I put it to you (hypothetically)

What if a doctor couldn't justify that a woman was suffering from mental problems and that a pregnancy wouldn't result in any?

Then abortion (as a result of rape) would be illegal. Therein lies the problem of your argument. The two are not the same thing. Is rape mental health issues? No.

ReputationRep:
    Then it would fall back to the social issues clause.
    "abortion is allowed to save a woman's life, for health, economic or social reasons."
    Not necessarily.

This is the whole point.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily.

This is the whole point.
    If bringing up your rapists offspring does not have social consequences what does?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    If bringing up your rapists offspring does not have social consequences what does?
    Everything has a social consequence, so why not include everything under this bracket.
    This part of the law is a bit vague in what is otherwise a very strict law.

ReputationRep:
    Abortion is murder plain and simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Abortion is murder plain and simple.
    It isn't simple, otherwise it wouldn't be debated.

ReputationRep:
    Abortion should be legal up until the 18th birthday

ReputationRep:
    See my post on morality in the bnp thread; its not 'murder' because our law allows it, therefore its just fine and dandy.
    Technically - no. But morally - debatable.

ReputationRep:
    Technically - no. But morally - debatable.
    There must be some mode of technicity to it hence the deadline for number of weeks you can have an abortion before.

ReputationRep:
    Of course, because morals are just a figment of our imagination anyway.
    Well, not so much a figment of our imagination. They exist and are real. It's just that the same set of morals are not shared by us all. We're all singing from a different hymn sheet which is one of the reasons why so many debates turn into emotive slanging matches!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    There must be some mode of technicity to it hence the deadline for number of weeks you can have an abortion before.
    Or safety?

ReputationRep:
    Or safety?
    That has little if anything to do with it, I think you will find that the reason for the cut off point is because the unborn baby could possibly survive if it was born at that point if it were born therefore it 'has the right to life'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    That has little if anything to do with it, I think you will find that the reason for the cut off point is because the unborn baby could possibly survive if it was born at that point if it were born therefore it 'has the right to life'
    I didn't say that it wasn't a reason. I just put forward the opinion that abortion after 24 weeks is a risky operation.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they are a figment of my imagination because I don't have any.

Debates turn into slanging matches when people won't back down and accept other people's views.
    Well, I'm sure you do have morals. I imagine the only people without any morals are those people with psychopathic disorders!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.