Turn on thread page Beta

So there's this cool guy I want to get to know better - My social life sucks - and I've no idea how to instigate a friendship without being creepy.

The experiment:
    Background Info-
    I knew him a little during year 3-7, these times are long since dead & we've all moved on.
    He walks by my lane each morning to school, It's creepy because for alot of 5 years he was behind me O.o

Experiment- Drop a piece of paper of notes out of the Lever Arch I'm carrying on accident and see if he tells me. If yes I'll be like "oh lucky you were there cheers man" - If he ignores it I'll just move o.

My main question is: What would you do?
    Secondary question: How could I continue the conversation?

Result-
    If he tells me/gives it to me he's half decent.
    If not he's a prick.

Primary goal: Walk with him through the lane as routine each morning to build a friendship

Bump. :-)

ReputationRep:
    You have over thought this whole making friends deal.

ReputationRep:
    Eeeh wouldn't exactly make him a prick for not telling you your paper fall out. I know it's an experiment an all but jeeeeez. Since when has making friends needed experimentation??

I'll give you a little experiment of my own :

If he's behind you...

Turn around...

And say hi :O !

ReputationRep:
    I agree with 'Liam 09', just relax and be natural. Scheming never ends well.

(Original post by Liam 09)
    You have over thought this whole making friends deal.

(Original post by intelligentfool)
    I agree with 'Liam 09', just relax and be natural. Scheming never ends well.
    I fully agree with both of you :-) I'm really into Psychology and things so I'm going to just tie them both together somehow. I'm too shy to just have a conversation and after having this routine it just sounds random and awkward.

I understand I've overthought it and agree, I didn't think of this way especially it just came to me as an idea when I was thinking of Psychological experiments.

Bump

Please can I get more thoughts, and answers to the thread question. 10 hours until I do this.

ReputationRep:
    In regards to your question, I'd pick it up and call them.

To the other stuff.. idk

Bump. Argh cmon guys

212 views / 4 posts by you guys

Stop Lurking

Also it was raining today and I didnt see said person

ReputationRep:
    dont waste your time and energy in scheming and creating situations for interaction. just put on your confidence pants and go and say hi. all the best!

ReputationRep:
    Main answer: I'd probably give it back, but don't pay much attention when walking anywhere, if you're going to judge him on that, its a little odd...

Also - I think accidentally on purpose dropping something is going to look really odd, unless somehow you're a great actress, you'll seem very awkward...

Just say hi when you're both walking along the lane and ask him a question (if you don't know where he's working/studying now that's a starting point?)

ReputationRep:
    You know even if you just randomly say "hi" and he thinks it's weird, he'll probably get over it pretty soon if you start getting to know each other better. Why make getting to know someone so complicated? What if he's shy and doesn't give you the paper and you assume he's no good and you never meet but you could be soulmates and then....
    Seriously, just say "hi" and go from there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.