The Student Room Group

Last university choice - Law

Hello, I'm having real difficulty with my last choice. So far I have Oxford, LSE, Warwick and Durham as my choices for Law. My grades are 10 A* and 2 As at GCSE and AAAB at AS (I was one UMS from an A with the B result due to a slightly bad January exam :wink:). Also, I'm predicted A*A*A.

I'm thinking about UCL as my last choice as the course sounds so interesting and the university has everything I'm looking for! I'm just worried about how competitive it is, and also how they require the LNAT, seeing as two of my other choices ask for it.

I have also been looking into Exeter, but it just doesn't seem to be as appealing to me! I don't know whether to apply to five where I know I would be very happy to go, or go for one 'safer' option (Exeter's requirements are AAA-AAB and don't ask for the LNAT) that I don't feel as enthusiastic about.

I'd be very appreciative of any advice :smile:
Original post by Iheartsirringo
Hello, I'm having real difficulty with my last choice. So far I have Oxford, LSE, Warwick and Durham as my choices for Law. My grades are 10 A* and 2 As at GCSE and AAAB at AS (I was one UMS from an A with the B result due to a slightly bad January exam :wink:). Also, I'm predicted A*A*A.

I'm thinking about UCL as my last choice as the course sounds so interesting and the university has everything I'm looking for! I'm just worried about how competitive it is, and also how they require the LNAT, seeing as two of my other choices ask for it.

I have also been looking into Exeter, but it just doesn't seem to be as appealing to me! I don't know whether to apply to five where I know I would be very happy to go, or go for one 'safer' option (Exeter's requirements are AAA-AAB and don't ask for the LNAT) that I don't feel as enthusiastic about.

I'd be very appreciative of any advice :smile:

Are you me:tongue:?
I have been exactly like you - unsure of how 'risky to go', but looking at Oxford, Durham, LSE and Warwick. I had a look at Exeter on the open day after I saw they required AAA-AAB, although found the law talk uninspiring and so was put off.

Now I feel there's no point putting a 'back up' because I can't seem myself being so enthusiastic about the universities who offer AAB. So I am going to apply to five I will be happy to go to, after all - you will be spending three years learning there. I was also thinking of UCL originally, although have heard about their focus on the LNAT (so was slightly worried about that).

I suggest you go for all AAA firms where you would be happy, you might as well use the last place to put another top university you may too get an offer from rather than one you would not be satisfied at. And with those grades you are likely to get offers from most (if not all) and also likely you will meet the grades. It may be more 'sensible' to have a back up, yet if you're confident I'm sure you won't need to. Personally, I think I shall resit some of the A's I got at AS to get higher marks and ensure I meet the entry requirements for the uni's.

Good Luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello! :smile: It's nice to know (in a weird way!) that someone's in the same situation as me. I did put down Exeter in the end, but I feel tempted to be a rebel and just change it to UCL, or perhaps take out LSE; it sounds too competitive!

Have you made your final choices yet?

And also, good luck! :smile:
Original post by Iheartsirringo
Hello! :smile: It's nice to know (in a weird way!) that someone's in the same situation as me. I did put down Exeter in the end, but I feel tempted to be a rebel and just change it to UCL, or perhaps take out LSE; it sounds too competitive!

Have you made your final choices yet?

And also, good luck! :smile:

Well I don't see a real reason why LSE would reject you, as long as you have a strong PS, so no need to change that :smile: It's also a good option seeing as you don't need the LNAT.
I am hoping to send my UCAS later this week and thinking of Oxford, Durham, LSE, Warwick and maybe UCL, although still deciding!
I think if Exeter are just going to ask for AAA then I might as well apply to a better AAA university (UCL), but it seems a bit risky :tongue:

Also if you don't find Exeter appealing, don't put it down! You may get a good LNAT school and regret not having UCL.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending