Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I'm off to imperial in a week and I was wondering what its policies on gaming is. Does it allow access to things such as steam and battle.net?

I was also wondering if when applications such as these download patches, does this count towards your download limit?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, as far as I know you can access everything you could through a normal ISP, apart from perhaps torrents unless you can find a way around it.

I'm pretty sure everything counts towards your download limit. The connection is so fast you could use up the limit (5GB/day at the time I was in halls) in 10 minutes of downloading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenryG)
    Hello

I'm off to imperial in a week and I was wondering what its policies on gaming is. Does it allow access to things such as steam and battle.net?

I was also wondering if when applications such as these download patches, does this count towards your download limit?

Thanks.
    When you get in to halls and sign (or rather, agree to) the acceptable use policy of the halls network, there is a new section that says that gaming is allowed, so don't feel that it's forbidden.

p2p doesn't work well on the networks, so some games won't update or play, but it's not that widespread a problem.

The only un-metered traffic is through http i.e. through an internet browser, so you could manually download and install patches without going over your limit, but using steam to update or download everything in your library, for example, will cause you to go over your limit.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, guess I will have to work something out, updating my games when i'm only at home and such. I should hopefully be able to play most of them.

ReputationRep:
    I was bricking it before I came to Uni, my HDD failed and I had about 3 days to reinstall about 2TB worth of data and games onto a new one because I thought there would be a DL cap (it said in the spec that there was).

Luckily they changed the ISP before I came so the internet is pretty good and I can download games and patches from Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyco)
    When you get in to halls and sign (or rather, agree to) the acceptable use policy of the halls network, there is a new section that says that gaming is allowed, so don't feel that it's forbidden.

p2p doesn't work well on the networks, so some games won't update or play, but it's not that widespread a problem.

The only un-metered traffic is through http i.e. through an internet browser, so you could manually download and install patches without going over your limit, but using steam to update or download everything in your library, for example, will cause you to go over your limit.
    So if I downloaded a few 500mb files off Megaupload or Fileserve etc. it wouldn't go towards the 5GB limit? Would watching youtube videos add to the limit? Thanks

(sorry for minor thread hijack)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1Addict)
    So if I downloaded a few 500mb files off Megaupload or Fileserve etc. it wouldn't go towards the 5GB limit? Would watching youtube videos add to the limit? Thanks

(sorry for minor thread hijack)
    No to both of those questions, but they do sometimes monitor traffic from RS/MU sites, as they've had incidences of companies contacting Imperial, saying that copyrighted information has been downloaded through an Imperial IP.

Can't say they're best too pleased when that happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyco)
    No to both of those questions, but they do sometimes monitor traffic from RS/MU sites, as they've had incidences of companies contacting Imperial, saying that copyrighted information has been downloaded through an Imperial IP.

Can't say they're best too pleased when that happens.
    Thanks for the info.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.