Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically i really think my mum is a moron honestly, its got to the stage where its really annoying. Basically my older sister whose 24 broke her laptop charger now im the only one with a laptop charger in the house, so she asks to borrow mine. Because the charger is for my laptop not her laptop it doesn’t charge her laptop model, so whenever I take the charger out it last for about 20 minutes and then dies. She couldn’t be bothered to go and buy herself a charger so she decided to sponge off my charger and use mine. Its been 3 months and she still uses my charger.

I go to my Dad’s house during the week so I always take my laptop and charger with me because I use it for my work, last week I took my laptop and charger as I always do and my mum called me selfish for taking my charger. Saying I should have thought of others and left it, she basically wanted me to go without my laptop and give my sister my charger for the whole week just because she can’t be bothered to buy her own. This baffels me because she is so adament that she’s right, she can’t even stop and think that ok she broke her own charger so she shouldn’t inconviniecne me just because she can’t be bothered to buy her own. She’s pratically saying I should not use my laptop and my own charger all week just so my sister could you my charger, beyond stupid. Plus my laptop is the only source of internet at my dads aswell so practically no internet too.

Am I in the wrong or write?

ReputationRep:
    firstly give your mum some respect, i have little respect for people that can't respect their parents. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    you are in the right, your mum is wrong. Parents dont usually like being wrong, even when they are clearly wrong, they are 'right'.

ReputationRep:
    Your sister looks selfish to me. She should just buy her own charger. Your mum expecting you to leave your charger behind for your sister is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    she sounds like an idiot, but did you really need to make a thread and waste your time? moron

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alevelsareboring)
    Basically i really think my mum is a moron honestly, its got to the stage where its really annoying. Basically my older sister whose 24 broke her laptop charger now im the only one with a laptop charger in the house, so she asks to borrow mine. Because the charger is for my laptop not her laptop it doesn’t charge her laptop model, so whenever I take the charger out it last for about 20 minutes and then dies. She couldn’t be bothered to go and buy herself a charger so she decided to sponge off my charger and use mine. Its been 3 months and she still uses my charger.

I go to my Dad’s house during the week so I always take my laptop and charger with me because I use it for my work, last week I took my laptop and charger as I always do and my mum called me selfish for taking my charger. Saying I should have thought of others and left it, she basically wanted me to go without my laptop and give my sister my charger for the whole week just because she can’t be bothered to buy her own. This baffels me because she is so adament that she’s right, she can’t even stop and think that ok she broke her own charger so she shouldn’t inconviniecne me just because she can’t be bothered to buy her own. She’s pratically saying I should not use my laptop and my own charger all week just so my sister could you my charger, beyond stupid. Plus my laptop is the only source of internet at my dads aswell so practically no internet too.

Your sister should get her own charger, it's really that simple. It's more selfish for your mum to expect you to be selfless when she herself isn't.

ReputationRep:
    It's your laptop charger, so you should do what you want to do with it.

ReputationRep:

Hii, I would've read this but I don't have anything to say to people who don't respect their parents by calling them morons etc. ESPECIALLY your mom. She never brought you into the world to be called a moron.

Well, actually, i will reply. Think about who needs it more, you or your sister? Maybe she has important work to do. Otherwise, yes, your mother may have been wrong to call you selfish.

But still, have some respect.

ReputationRep:
    Your mum made you for god sake!!

ReputationRep:
    First of all, everyone needs to stop taking the mick out of her for getting the words confused. It happens, its a form of dyslexia. Secondly, don't call your mum a moron. Thirdly perhaps find a link to a charger that would be suitable for your sister and send her it so she can get one, they can often be quite cheap. Solves the argument.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Yes you're selfish. But it's that good kind of selfish where it would be stupid to be selfless.

ReputationRep:
    Jeez, it's just a charger :facepalm:

I've got no sympathy for you to be honest if a simple laptop charger gets you this wound up. Your mother is not a moron, you are.

ReputationRep:
    if she stil hasnt bought one then buy her one as a christmas present( you can get them on ebay or amazon for really cheap). Pretty boring present so im sure she'll get the message that you are pissed off.

ReputationRep:
    I believe you are an author.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kanzaz)
    firstly give your mum some respect, i have little respect for people that can't respect their parents. Sorry.
    I have little respect for anyone who still honestly espouses the idea of procreation as an inherently noble and altruistic act for which the ensuing progeny must owe an indeterminate debt of supplication, regardless of parental input. This isn't Soviet Russia; no-one is required to foster offspring anymore, and I daresay we'd be a good deal better off in the main if a certain sector of the populace would kindly refrain from perpetuating their lineage altogether.

Atrocious grammar notwithstanding, the O.P. does have a legitimate grievance: perhaps they should offer to contribute towards the purchase of a replacement charger as a token conciliatory gesture.

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? Your sister sounds a bit old to be living at home (though I guess there are circumstances where it may be necessary).

I am assuming we only know half the story, (did you buy the charger as opposed to acquiring a family one, or does your sister have important work?) But from your point of view it does sound unreasonable.

Buy her a charger for Christmas instead of a good present.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I have little respect for anyone who still honestly espouses the idea of procreation as an inherently noble and altruistic act for which the ensuing progeny must owe an indeterminate debt of supplication, regardless of parental input. This isn't Soviet Russia; no-one is required to foster offspring anymore, and I daresay we'd be a good deal better off in the main if a certain sector of the populace would kindly refrain from perpetuating their lineage altogether.
    Not procreation, the ensuing 18 years of selfless giving and upbringing. Offspring can't help where they come from, so I wouldn't say they 'owe' anything, but I'd hope they would be considerate enough to show some respect of their own accord.

Otherwise agree.

ReputationRep:
    Who paid for your laptop/charger?

ReputationRep:
    - Your sister should have bought her own charger three months ago.
    - If you paid for your own laptop and charger, then it's totally unreasonable of your Mum to expect you to share it with your sister.

- If your Mum bought your laptop and charger, I can understand her expecting you to share it a bit more. However, three months is a ridiculously long time for this to go on without your Mum or sister buying a new charger.

- Either way, calling you selfish seems to be inaccurate if your post is completely true.

- There could be a good explanation for your sister needing to use your charger more than you. Maybe she hasn't got much money and can't afford to buy a new one, maybe she has important work to do on her laptop? I'd like to hear your mum's reasoning.

- Maybe brush up on your spelling, or copy your post from word so you can spellcheck before making a thread. Otherwise, the majority of the replies will be criticizing your post, and you won't get many serious answers

- Regardless of whether your Mum is being unreasonable or not, you should not call her a moron whatsoever. She might aggravate you, but she's still your mother and you should respect her a lot more than that. Calling her that makes you seem like a total prick, and has completely zapped any sympathy that I or other people may have had for you.

To be honest, If I were you and it was causing this much trouble, I would just buy myself a new charger and give my sibling the old one. Chargers for my laptop cost about £5 on Ebay, I'd rather just do that than go through all this trouble, plus it would stop arguments happening. I'm guessing you won't do that though.

ReputationRep:

Why does she take your charger if it doesn't work on her laptop..:confused:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.