Physics topics you hate? Watch

cole45
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
i'd say physics is probably my favourite subject - im doing A2 level at the moment, and enjoy it on the whole. one thing i can't stand though, is electricity. i just can't visualize what's going on, with all the resistance stuff in series, parallel, potential dividers etc. and i still can't understand the different between current, voltage, charge and so on.
JordanR
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, electricity's my least favourite too. Mostly because it's the least interesting. I like particle physics though.
matthew769
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
same, it sucks and isn't interesting
Little Hobbit
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah electronics and electrcity are really dull There are so many more interesting topics in physics!
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Electricity, Medical can be annoying to start with, Didnt like waves too.
RedDevilThing
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Never had that much of a problem with Electricity. Mechanics can be annoying if it's stuff I've already covered. Not bothered by Medical in the slightest.
cole45
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
im scared to ask this, and tbh i think i already know the answer - if you do university physics, is there a lot more electricity and does it get a lot harder? i know there'll be more on electric fields etc., but actual circuity sort of things?
Adam9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Electric circuits (I did it at AS Level) is soooooooooo TERRIBLE, not hard, just boring.

Electric and magnetic fields however is VERY interesting, more challenging, but enjoyable.
A123W
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Electromagnetism was my least favorite. Enjoyed the majority of the other topics .
Mike93L
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Only just started A2 so not covered much yet, but I don't like circular motion. I found electricity at AS pretty simple and not that boring.
doggyfizzel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cole45)
im scared to ask this, and tbh i think i already know the answer - if you do university physics, is there a lot more electricity and does it get a lot harder? i know there'll be more on electric fields etc., but actual circuity sort of things?
Yes its a pretty important part of physics, Electromagnetism. Almost everything gets significantly harder, but its gets more interesting too, as it gives you a better understanding.

I found electricity hard at A-Level but easier at uni, its more in-depth and therefore more intuitive.
AidanKD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Eeeeh I personally hate the contents page the most : \
soutioirsim
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I like Maxwell's equations and all that but I hate questions that ask "Calculate the potential drop across ____."

It makes me want to calculate the potential drop across my heart when I kill myself from dropping a toaster in the bath...
Contrad!ction.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JordanR)
Yeah, electricity's my least favourite too. Mostly because it's the least interesting. I like particle physics though.
Does it give you a hadron? :awesome:

I'm not that keen on mechanics. Which sucks, as it appears in maths too.

I'm more into quantum/particle physics.
Emor
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The first module we did was electricity and I dropped it, just incredibly boring.

I'll probably regret it later but meh. It seems like a really dumb idea to start off with the least interesting topic.

Well maybe not doing so is disingenuous but yeah.

EMZ=]
JordanR
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Contrad!ction.)
Does it give you a hadron? :awesome:

I'm more into quantum/particle physics.
Hahhh. I laughed. +

Quantum... mechanics?! I like mechanics. It's easy to visualise, too.
doggyfizzel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Contrad!ction.)
Classical Mechanics is so piss easy in terms of content and difficulty its practically free marks! Can be quite cool, and arguable one of the most relevant modules to real life.

People who like Quantum and Particle physics either are hardcore physicists or haven't studied it enough, all enthusiasm rapidly disappears once the maths arrives.
Hype en Ecosse
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I find electricity, particle physics and quantum mechanics interesting. I wouldn't say I know them in much depth though, as the poster above has said.

I hate your classic mechanics, it's so dull.
Contrad!ction.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by doggyfizzel)
Classical Mechanics is so piss easy in terms of content and difficulty its practically free marks! Can be quite cool, and arguable one of the most relevant modules to real life.

People who like Quantum and Particle physics either are hardcore physicists or haven't studied it enough, all enthusiasm rapidly disappears once the maths arrives.
suvat/laws/energy etc just bores me. And I love maths
-G-a-v-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I hated electricity/electromagnetism at A-level, bizarrely it was one of my favourite areas of physics at uni though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.5%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.37%