Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    SO I'm going to university soon, up to Lancaster, next week in fact and my girlfriend is taking a gap year.

I'm going to be at the other end of the country to her, she'll be in London and I'll be so far away. It's going to be bloody hard, I am so in love with her and she feels the same towards me.

We both broke down into tears when she stayed over on Friday, though I tried to stay strong and support her, since I do feel a sense of guilt because I'm the one leaving.

I don't worry about her cheating, I know she would never do that, so I'm only worried about the emotional side of things.

We've been together for 8 and a half months and I have no intentions of this being anything but permanent, she's everything I've ever wanted in a girl and I've never been happier.

We're going to visit each other a lot, but she'll be working and can only come on weekends and I don't know my timetable yet.

Has anyone else been through this? I know I'll get used to it, but at the start it's going to be unbearable

Help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMJ19)
    SO I'm going to university soon, up to Lancaster, next week in fact and my girlfriend is taking a gap year.

Has anyone else been through this? I know I'll get used to it, but at the start it's going to be unbearable

Help?
    Just at the head of this page: THE LONG DISTANCE RELATIONSHIP ADVICE CENTRE. Introduce yourself there and 'comiserate' (don't mean this unfriendly)

Loads of us are in the same situation.

*hugs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleBigX)
    Just at the head of this page: THE LONG DISTANCE RELATIONSHIP ADVICE CENTRE. Introduce yourself there and 'comiserate' (don't mean this unfriendly)

Loads of us are in the same situation.

*hugs*
    *hug*

ReputationRep:
    *group hug* I'm in the same situation, totally opposite ends of the country. It's been okay so far, about three weeks and I'm spending next weekend with her. I just wanted to wish you luck as I don't yet have enough experience to give advice. I think if you've been together for 8 months you've got a pretty good chance compared to less well established relationships. Don't feel guilty for being the one going away, uni is an important part of your life and you'd have regretted it if you didn't go. Make sure you communicate lots and visit as much as possible

ReputationRep:
    well you can try your best bud, but realize the chances of you guys staying together are slim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Locogooner)
    well you can try your best bud, but realize the chances of you guys staying together are slim
    Don't listen to this. It is possible.

ReputationRep:
    How come you didn't choose a university not so far? Lancaster is pretty far from London. Hmm. :/

It's really sweet that you've posted this thread. I am sure if you both feel so strongly about each other then, it'll work out fine. Especially since you trust her, and vice versa... but yeah, it'll be hard. You could skype each other? Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm at uni in Sheffield. My boyfriend lived in Southampton (where I'm from) on a gap year so we were 4 hours apart... then he moved up to Cumbria for uni so now we're 2 hours apart.
    We've been together 3 years now (and for 2 of those we've been in a long distance relationship during term time)

IT CAN WORK. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It takes getting used to.. it will be harder for her being at home trust me, you'll be so busy in the first few weeks meeting people that time will fly by for you! But you just need to have frequent communication and reassure her.

Me and my boyfriend write each other letters sometimes when we're at uni - that really helped when I first went away. I made sure I got him tickets to nights out like Freshers Ball and things like that so he could feel a part of my uni experience. He made friends with all the people in my halls and we all went on nights out together. Whenever we visit each other we plan our whole weekend - whether it's going for a walk in the Lakes or the Peaks, having a Saturday night in watching films and eating takeaway or cooking a meal together.. going ice skating, going to the pub quiz with my course friends etc. We just make sure every time we see each other is really busy and planned out so that we have a really great time and then spend the 2-3 weeks we have apart, counting down the days and looking forward to next seeing each other.

For me, it has strengthened our relationship loads (don't get me wrong, we've had some of the worst arguments ever over the phone - hate arguing without being there in person!), but overall I wouldn't change it because I'm proud that I made the decision to go to uni where I wanted and not let anything stop me, and the same with my boyfriend. I know so many people who make choices about unis and life in general to suit their partners. You can make relationships work around things in life at this age. I think being in a long distance relationship where we are just as close as ever has made things a lot more exciting personally! Never a dull moment. Things are so much better when you do see each other and you appreciate them loads... The uni holidays are really long too (4-6 weeks at xmas, 3-4 weeks at Easter, and about 4-5 months on average for the summer!!). So you don't really spend that long apart when you think about it Good luck!

Just be positive!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.