Turn on thread page Beta

Vitamin tablets - are they a good idea, and which do you take? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I was just wondering about taking vitamins/multivitamin tablets. To be honest, I haven't ever really taken them, apart from vitamin C, when I'm with a cold.

However, I've moved into my halls, and had conversations with some of my flatmates in which a couple mentioned they were taking vitamins - it appears to be on a daily basis.

What I was really wondering was if it's necessary - and also, if it is a good idea, what ones would you recommend?

(The reason I'm a little concerned is that I think I've just started to come down with the infamous freshers flu, and will be so annoyed if I could have done something to help prevent it, haha! xD)

ReputationRep:
    Vitamins are no replacement for a balanced and varied diet. They won't do you any harm, but the vitamins present in food are better absorbed by your body (according to my doctor, anyway).

ReputationRep:
    i take

multi vit
    cod liver oil
    magnesium
    glucosamine sulphate 1500mg
    zinc
    soluble vitamin C

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure Vitamin C does next to nothing to help with colds, and even less when taken during one. First article I could find, pretty sure its a myth

No harm in taking them, but next to no point taking these stupid 300% of RDA, its its a water soluble its just going to be removed next bathroom break. I just take bog standard ones in pill form with breakfast as I always have.

i take a multivitamin with added iron probably every other day, evening primrose oil max dose every single day and omega 3 occasionally. i think i might get separate iron and vitamin tablets though, coz atm theres hardly any iron in them and i think i might be a bit anaemic so i need more. would people recomend this?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I take Sanatogen A - Z complete multivitamin when I remember to.

ReputationRep:
    i take a multi vit, biotin, l-lysine and a prescribed iron tablet

ReputationRep:
    Vitamin D and a multi.

ReputationRep:
    Like you, I've just started uni and I bought some combined Iron and Vitamin C tablets because I tend to become anemic. Only £1.75 from Superdrug.

ReputationRep:
    Multibionta vitamin (the green pack) + a vitamin C tablet every day.

When i first started uni I got tonsilitus, sinusitus, inner ear infections, colds ... I was ill all the time. I actually swear by multibionta vitamins - my Mum got me hooked on them!

I take tonnes of stuff from Solgar. Even shark liver oil.

As for your question, I rarely take multi-vitamins although when I feel down and tired, I do take one. Lots of my supplements have various vitamins, like A, C, and E. I have been told taking too much vitamin E isn't so good for you.

ReputationRep:
    There's actually only so many vitamins your body can absorb. Unless you have a deficiency, what you're buying are basically the ingredients for very expensive urine.

(True fact, but extra brownie points for those who get the reference :P)

ReputationRep:
    depends on your diet. I have various food intolerances and issues so my diet is missing a lot of vitamins. I am taking vitB complex, omega3 capsule, flaxseed oil capsule, iron with vitC, calcium and VitD.

someone rather stupidly wrote in another thread that iron deficiency is rare. like hell it is. lots of girls don't eat red meat and iron from other sources (non-heme) is not v well-absorbed.

this is not wholly accurate but should give you some indication:
    http://www.whfoods.com/foodadvisor.php
    of what nutrients you may be missing.

then if you wish to be really precise you should go to USDA
    http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/index.html

by far the most reliable such site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeepCaalm)
    Hi there,

I was just wondering about taking vitamins/multivitamin tablets. To be honest, I haven't ever really taken them, apart from vitamin C, when I'm with a cold.

However, I've moved into my halls, and had conversations with some of my flatmates in which a couple mentioned they were taking vitamins - it appears to be on a daily basis.

What I was really wondering was if it's necessary - and also, if it is a good idea, what ones would you recommend?

(The reason I'm a little concerned is that I think I've just started to come down with the infamous freshers flu, and will be so annoyed if I could have done something to help prevent it, haha! xD)

I would highly suggest an iodine supplement to make sure you are getting enough iodine mineral in your body. Iodine plays a highly important role in helping our thyroid do its function and a lack of it can lead to serious health complications. If you want to get more information on this, you can visit this site http://iodinedeficiencyhq.com/.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2011
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.