Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My first coursework essay is due in on Wednesday (although I think I will get it back to do a second draft after). It's supposed to be 500 words but my teacher said it can be over 500 as long as it's not too far over. So how many words would you say is maximum?

I'm finding it really hard to get my essay down nearer to 500! I am writing about the narrative techniques in the first twelve chapters of "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" novel and find there is just so much to write about! I really like the book but I don't know how to get the marks when so restricted to how long my essay can be. Obviously you have to use examples which means I have to include quotes which use up a significant amount of my words!

Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    They usually say that 10% over is the limit, as a general rule, although this isn't specific to your exam board.

In terms of how difficult it was, I found it much easier, but I think that was probably to do with having an awful teacher for GCSE! I didn't do my A level with AQA though, so I'll stop there as I don't want to give you any wrong advice as far as how they're assessed.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I did AQA Lit B1 last year and the main way to get those marks is to stick to the mark scheme. If your point doesn't conform in some way to one of the assessment objectives, it should not be in your essay.

Try not to overload your essay with quotes but embed them so that you use only the relevent part of the quote to back up your point - no need for long quotes if what you really need is a couple of words.

Good luck! Hope that helped a little.
    Obsidian

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obsidian)
    Hi, I did AQA Lit B1 last year and the main way to get those marks is to stick to the mark scheme. If your point doesn't conform in some way to one of the assessment objectives, it should not be in your essay.
    Try not to overload your essay with quotes but embed them so that you use only the relevent part of the quote to back up your point - no need for long quotes if what you really need is a couple of words.

Good luck! Hope that helped a little.
    Obsidian
    This.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.