Turn on thread page Beta

Top Monologues watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    JCVD - a six-minute single-take monologue, where Van Damme addresses the audience directly with an emotional monologue about his career, his multiple marriages, and his drug abuse. (More people need to watch this film)

Paradise Now - The scene in which Said reveals his reason for taking part in the suicide bombing.

Scent of A Woman - Pacino's speech in the end.

Requiem For A Dream - Ellen Burstyn's Monologue

There Will Be Blood - ''I Drink Your Milkshake''

The Departed - Billy Costigan's ''How I Feel''

On The Waterfront - ''I coulda been a contender''

A Scanner Darkly - ''The pain, so unexpected and undeserved had for some reason cleared away the cobwebs. I realized I didn't hate the cabinet door, I hated my life... My house, my family, my backyard, my power mower. Nothing would ever change; nothing new could ever be expected. It had to end, and it did. now in the dark world where I dwell, ugly things, and surprising things, and sometimes little wondrous things, spill out in me constantly, and I can count on nothing. ''

ReputationRep:
    Two of the very best from all of cinema, and from the same film too

ReputationRep:

Those are some of my favourites.

ReputationRep:
    Even though authorship is still disputed, Quint's Indianapolis speech from JAWS is fantastic. The original "blockbuster" and by far, Spielberg's best film.

ReputationRep:
    Voila! In view a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance, a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and voracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add it is my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V.

Yes, yes I did just type that from memory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phenomenological)
    Voila! In view a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance, a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and voracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add it is my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V.

Yes, yes I did just type that from memory.
    Exactly what I was going to say.

Also the end of Withnail and I which is a quote from Hamlet and in my sig.
    "Choose life" from Trainspotting.
    Pulp Fiction- "...but i'm trying real hard to be the shepard." in the diner from SLJ.
    The start of Thank you For Smoking is an awesome monologue.
    One of speech's in 12 Angry Men, can't think which one, but one of them.

These are ones I can think of when I look at films saved on my computer but there is lots more that don't come to my mind straight away.

ReputationRep:
    The Rocky saga.

(Rocky Balboa especially)

ReputationRep:

OK, so it's really a theatrical monologue, but damn it all - Kenneth Branagh + Shakespeare = YEEEEESSSSS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)

OK, so it's really a theatrical monologue, but damn it all - Kenneth Branagh + Shakespeare = YEEEEESSSSS!
    This. 1 million times this. If you dont have a stirring within your chest at the thought of being from England when watching this, you are dead inside.

Kenneth, we love thee. Also, Walking with Dinosaurs was the best Dinosaur show ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squidgyness)
    This. 1 million times this. If you dont have a stirring within your chest at the thought of being from England when watching this, you are dead inside.

Kenneth, we love thee. Also, Walking with Dinosaurs was the best Dinosaur show ever.
    :five:

He also makes a superb Iago. Kenneth Branagh AND Morpheus!? DAAAYUMN.

ReputationRep:

I think he overdid this one a bit, though.

ReputationRep:
    Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting has always been a favourite of mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogso)

You're d**n right. Don't know how I missed them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mali167)

Scent of A Woman - Pacino's speech in the end.

The Departed - Billy Costigan's ''How I Feel''

On The Waterfront - ''I coulda been a contender''

(Original post by hogso)

YES! Especially On the Waterfront and the second one from Network.

Also, Sam L Jackson's Ezekiel speech in Pulp Fiction.

And Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men:

“You can’t handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who’s going to do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?”

Gordon Gekko:

“The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA.”

The opening scene of the Godfather has a really memorable and well-delivered monologue as well, sets up the film and the trilogy perfectly:

And Kurtz's 'horrors' speech in Apocalypse Now:

[youtube]NwvO1UxN8[youtube]

ReputationRep:
    -127 Hours ("Oops")
    -Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (the Karla recollection)
    -Good Night, and Good luck
    -the closing of Stand By Me
    -Annie Hall intro
    -Cool Runnings ("Bad-ass Mother" and "I am Jamaican")
    -Scorsese's monologue in Taxi Driver (and You Talkin to Me?)
    -Billy Liar (Sometimes, a man can lose himself)
    etc.

ReputationRep:
    "There's a passage I got memorized. Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."

I been sayin' that **** for years. And if you ever heard it, it meant your ass. I never really questioned what it meant. I just thought it was some cold bloodes **** to say to a mother****er 'fore I popped a cap in his ass. But I saw some **** this mornin' made me think twice. Now I'm thinkin', it could mean you're the evil man. And I'm the righteous man. And Mr 9mm here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could be, you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. I'd like that. But that **** ain't the truth. The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men.

But I'm tryin'. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd."

Pulp Fiction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mali167)

A Scanner Darkly - ''The pain, so unexpected and undeserved had for some reason cleared away the cobwebs. I realized I didn't hate the cabinet door, I hated my life... My house, my family, my backyard, my power mower. Nothing would ever change; nothing new could ever be expected. It had to end, and it did. now in the dark world where I dwell, ugly things, and surprising things, and sometimes little wondrous things, spill out in me constantly, and I can count on nothing. ''
    Can't remember if it's actually in the movie or just the book but for some reason 'I saw death rising from the earth, from the ground itself, in one blue field, in stubbled colour' has been stuck in my head since I first read it like, maybe 10 years ago.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Rorschach's opening monologue in Watchmen.

Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985.:
    Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face.
    The streets are exteded gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"
    And I'll look down, and whisper "no."
    They had a choice, all of them. They could have followed in the footsteps of good men like my father, or president Truman.
    Decent men who believed in a day's work for a day's pay.
    Instread they followed the droppings of lechers and communists and didn't realize that the trail led over a precipice until it was too late.
    Don't tell me they didn't have a choice.
    Now the whole world stands on the brink, staring down into bloody hell, all those liberals and intellectuals and smooth-talkers.
    And all of a sudden, nobody can think of anything to say.

Makes me shiver it's that good.

ReputationRep:
    Danny Ormondroyd (Pete Postelthwaite) at the end of Brassed Off. It's a speech if that counts as a monologue, but very moving

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.