Turn on thread page Beta

My stuttering and life watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As a stutterer i have much difficulty in almost everything i do using my voice for example, ordering food, talking on the phone and talking in person. This really fs up my life. I turned down a position as supervisor at my supermarket because i was scared of using the microphone!

However i just checked my second year timetable and saw that i have a ****load of presentations during my first semsester only let alone the second one.

In first year i had one presentation which i done badly in, for 5 minutes given to each person i ended up speaking as fast as i can and it lasted for no more then a minute or so.

I just hope there are some stutterers in this forum who can give me some tips on how you dealth with stutter during your university.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    This is probably not all that helpful, but if it's really bad, and it gets worse with stress, then ask if you can do the presentation just to the professor rather than the whole group. At least for the first few this might make things easier for you to manage and when you feel more comfortable doing them you can progress onto giving them to the whole group.

ReputationRep:
    My friend stutters and no one mentions it.

Just be calm and speak slowly. Focus on your breathing and perhaps tell the professors/tutors that you may be at a disadvantage because of your stutter.

Finally, don't let your stutter tell you what to do and what not to do.

ReputationRep:
    Rowan Atkinson (Mr Bean) stutters, and he went to Newcastle University and The University of Oxford, and I'm sure he did many presentations for his Engineering degree. Shame I'm not him, or I'd be able to help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken Hulk)
    As a stutterer i have much difficulty in almost everything i do using my voice for example, ordering food, talking on the phone and talking in person. This really fs up my life. I turned down a position as supervisor at my supermarket because i was scared of using the microphone!

However i just checked my second year timetable and saw that i have a ****load of presentations during my first semsester only let alone the second one.

In first year i had one presentation which i done badly in, for 5 minutes given to each person i ended up speaking as fast as i can and it lasted for no more then a minute or so.

I just hope there are some stutterers in this forum who can give me some tips on how you dealth with stutter during your university.

Thanks
    aww.

If I have friends that stutter I would definitely help them getting ready with presentation and all.

Maybe you could let your lecturer know about it?

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried just totally slowing down everything you say?
    I used to mildly stutter, although it was never bad but when I became aware of it or nervous it got worse, so I would just stop and say the words in my head and then explain.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe talk to student services to ask for more support, im not sure whether stutter is under the list of disability for uni. Can always pratice loads in the mirror beforehand, get a few mates to watch in? Just take your time and try not to stress about it. I dont think people mark a presentation on the fluency you speak, its more on whether your presenting the information well- ie coherently and confidently. Might be worth mentioning it to your tutor?
    Hope this helps, good luck

hey!

what course are you doing?

I stutter too... yup, fs up my life too, i totally understand how you feel... should have seen how i f-ed up my uni interviews... aah its such a stupid annoying thing to have to deal with..
    in terms of presentations, i would recommed speaking reallyyyy slowly... and try to put in words that you find easiest to say. i find that if i move around a lot and have lots of hand movements that i stutter less (donno why), so maying move around a bit rather than being glued to one spot with your arms folded.
    and if you stutter whilst speaking, just say 'sorry', take a breath, and go again... well this is what i do.
    make sure you dont touch your mouth or try to cover it or anything (i've noticed a lot of people who stutter do this, and it ends up making it more obvious)

good luck, i hope it goes alright ...

hey!

what course are you doing?

I stutter too... yup, fs up my life too, i totally understand how you feel... should have seen how i f-ed up my uni interviews... aah its such a stupid annoying thing to have to deal with..
    in terms of presentations, i would recommed speaking reallyyyy slowly... and try to put in words that you find easiest to say. i find that if i move around a lot and have lots of hand movements that i stutter less (donno why), so maybe move around a bit rather than being glued to one spot with your arms folded.
    and if you stutter whilst speaking, just say 'sorry', take a breath, and go again... well this is what i do.
    make sure you dont touch your mouth or try to cover it or anything (i've noticed a lot of people who stutter do this, and it ends up making it more obvious)

good luck, i hope it goes alright ...

ReputationRep:
    I've developed rather a stutter lately due to stress (or rather, I slur my words even when sober, trip over others, can't get through some and end up repeating stuff even when I want my mouth to do other stuff - which I'm pretty sure is similar?) and I'd be intrigued to know this stuff myself :holmes:

My plan at the moment is just to stutter if I damned well need to, and **** anyone who has an issue with that :awesome: But it's not the most constructive way to go through life.

ReputationRep:
    I literally just watched the King's Speech. That leads me to suggest you should find an eccentric, unqualified, Australian-born speech therapist to help you. Perhaps not the best approach though.

In all seriousness, I'm sympathetic - it's worth mentioning to your tutor, and I'm sure people will understand if you're nervous and struggle with the presentation. Practise, try to stay calm, speak slowly, and just remember that the stutter isn't part of your personality or what you're trying to say, so anyone who judges you based on it is a pretty horrid person.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2011
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.