Turn on thread page Beta

University Fees at £9000 and the economy watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As a 2012 University student I will be paying the £9000 fees. I was just wondering if someone could explain why the government are doing this and how this relates to the economy. I understand that competition will be increased but I dont fully know why. Thanks for the help in advance

ReputationRep:
    Because current degrees are subsidised by the government. So currently students pay £3000 for their degree and the government puts in the rest.

Under the new system the government will be removing their subsidies to save money. Therefore universities have no choice but to charge £9000 to make up the shortfall.

ReputationRep:
    It's going to cost the SLC a ton of money in the short term.

But yeah the government is cutting most HE funding.

I'd have like to see funding cut but no fee increases. Too much is made of the competitiveness.

ReputationRep:
    It has nothing to do with the economic situation because the fee rise has no short term benefit.

Competition is not being increased because the vast majority of unis will be charging the same amount.

edit: The only reason the fees are being introduced is because they're a way of further taxing the middle class, without increasing taxes on rich business owners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.Pink)
    As a 2012 University student I will be paying the £9000 fees. I was just wondering if someone could explain why the government are doing this and how this relates to the economy.
    Have you been living under a rock for the last 2-3 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    It has nothing to do with the economic situation because the fee rise has no short term benefit.

Competition is not being increased because the vast majority of unis will be charging the same amount.

edit: The only reason the fees are being introduced is because they're a way of further taxing the middle class, without increasing taxes on rich business owners.
    Yes it is to do with the Economy.. the Economy is not there for the short term, it's there forever so they're obviously looking at long term solutions as well as short term ones and this comes under long term but it's still part of the economic structure

ReputationRep:
    Just move to NI, you still pay £3000 here.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks it was just a curious question which has now been answered
    The competition in the market would have only increased if there had been differences in the amount charged. So now the government have a load more money to spend elsewhere or try and reduce the deficit... So thats the long term term aim.

And thanks Hazlo, I could also move to Wales! The English just want to be different and annoying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.Pink)
    Okay thanks it was just a curious question which has now been answered
    The competition in the market would have only increased if there had been differences in the amount charged. So now the government have a load more money to spend elsewhere or try and reduce the deficit... So thats the long term term aim.

And thanks Hazlo, I could also move to Wales! The English just want to be different and annoying!
    Not at all, the English just do not wish to be Greek.

ReputationRep:
    In before someone posts a picture of Nick Clegg holding up a signed pledge not to increase tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, rich business owners are already taxed more than fairly over here. Unlike the United States, our politicians by and large remain unbribed, and the tax rates reflect this. I don't see why it's specifically a tax on the middle class, by the way, because families aren't negatively affected by the rise. Tuition fees are paid off in full by SLC, and the income threshold has overall been raised for support, so the burden is less on families and heavier on graduates.

It might suck for prospective students, massively at that, but "class warfare"?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.