Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Alright all.

I've just finished 6th Form, and I was SO sure I knew what I wanted. My Biking was going well, I can get a job in that next year, but all my friends have gone to Uni and now the calls start coming about what fun their having, how its such a fantastic experience, and I've never felt like such a ****ing fool in my life for not going.

Ever since I started Secondary School, I wanted to go. But in Year 11, I joined a team in racing and loved it until I stopped because I had my A-Levels to do. I'll be completely honest, I flopped. I thought I was doing well, I wasn't. I certainly could've done better, and I've beaten myself up on that note.

However, now that I want to go, I'm determined to re-sit my A-Levels as I'm certain my current ones aren't enough.

My question is, will I be able to re-sit my A-Levels at school, only going in for the exams themselves? I'd really like not to have to go back, but I will if I have too. I'm so determined to get in, I really don't care about what I have to do now. I don't want to go to Oxbridge, Durham or Edinburgh, any where classified as "higher Unis". I've got mates at Liverpool and Manchester, and after visiting both, those would be my choices.

Cheers for any help, I really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    My College allows for me to go in only to sit the exams. You of course have to pay for these exams yourself, and there is a deadline (somewhere in mid-October I believe). If you choose to enrol on classes, then all the tests are payed for by your School/College (depends on how you learn, if you're better off with your own notes and revision guides etc. then I can't see the point in wasting time travelling to and from College, and also not learning within class, in the sense that you will forget most things and will have to do your own revision come exam time anyway).

I hope this helps, and also, work experience/schemes are highly regarded for obvious reasons (just pointing this out as during Summer 2012 it may well be worth doing a few weeks somewhere, assuming you apply for 2013 entry).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elementosaurus)
    My College allows for me to go in only to sit the exams. You of course have to pay for these exams yourself, and there is a deadline (somewhere in mid-October I believe). If you choose to enrol on classes, then all the tests are payed for by your School/College (depends on how you learn, if you're better off with your own notes and revision guides etc. then I can't see the point in wasting time travelling to and from College, and also not learning within class, in the sense that you will forget most things and will have to do your own revision come exam time anyway).

I hope this helps, and also, work experience/schemes are highly regarded for obvious reasons (just pointing this out as during Summer 2012 it may well be worth doing a few weeks somewhere, assuming you apply for 2013 entry).
    I hope mine does, but I'll enquire tomorrow. Thanks, mate. I'd prefer to be able to work from home, and just go in for the exams and simply devour revision notes day in, day out, until I know it backwards. However, I also need to get my head around the exam techniques, which I suppose I can ask around on here. Its just as likely to know it. Though, the alternative is that going into school, I'll be a stones throw away from the Teacher's to ask. Not that I'm not confident in my own skills, but experience shows it may be better.

I've done plenty of outside experience. DoE, Young Leadership Schemes, Sports Leadership, about a thousand first aid courses, Lifeguarding, volunteering work, youth apprenticeships, etc etc. I hope they can count towards "sparkle" for my application.

I'd really like to be a 2012 entry, but I'm not sure if I'd get in to the exams in time for that. Unless I can take ALL exams in Summer, otherwise its a revision haul over the next few months if I can this year. I'd really like that, so I can get in just a year behind my mates, but obviously that's not always applicable, and I'd be a fool to think it was, but I can always try.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.