Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The time has come to ban people from skipping or blocking adverts that are shown between TV programmes, videos/programmes shown on the internet and websites. The revenue to fund those services comes predomiantly from advertisements. People always have the choice whether or not they want to use any kind of media on offer to them, if they do chose to then they must respect the rights holders by watching or observing the adverts. "Ad skipping" or "Ad blocking" whether by using software, Sky Plus, changing channel or even switching webpage when they are on results in a market distorition. The revenue for media companies derives mostly from adverts, as less people take notice of them, companies will offer less to advertise and the quality of media content will ultimately fall.

My proposal is legislation to tackle this problem. Any company offering content with adverts should make it clear that when a consumer chooses to take advantage of this they are entering a contract with them. It should become a criminal offence to skip adverts, punishable by up to 6 months imprisonment and/or a fine of no more than £20,000. This could quite easily be placed into an amended Digital Economy Act 2012. The evidence for prosecutions would be indisputable as most of it would come from subscriber records, i.e. Freeview, Sky, Virgin, BT etc. for TV programmes and IP addresses for online offences. Fast forwarding past trailers on DVD's would be harder to offer evidence of, but witnesses and forensic examination of the DVD player would be of most use.

It sounds draconian but it is a real problem, hitting the revenues of all the major broadcasting and media companies and so their profits and shareholders suffer. It's already been mooted in the US and Japan. Actors have to accept reduced salaries, executives reduced pay packets and writers/producers sell rights to material for less. Most people would just plead guilty, let them serve 2 months in prison and pay a few grand in fines or whatever and come down hard and we'd soon eradicate it.

This makes zero sense, that is all.

ReputationRep:
    But adverts are SO annoying. If I want something, I'll go seek it out. I don't want to be bombarded by adverts telling me about stuff I don't need.

ReputationRep:
    Lol you can't be serious, not only would this be impossible to enforce but it would be retarded.

ReputationRep:
    You just do whatever you want, and the rest of us here will carry on ignoring you.

Your idea is idiotic.

ReputationRep:
    So will making a cuppa during the adverts of a movie be illegal? What about a bathroom break during half time of a footy game?

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying it should be illegal to flick over to SSN during a break in some show? LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mockery)
    So will making a cuppa during the adverts of a movie be illegal? What about a bathroom break during half time of a footy game?
    Dude, stop trying to get around ways to break the law! That type of talk could land you in prison once this fantastic idea is implemented.

You'll only encourage the OP to take forensic examinations of your kettle and/or toilet to prove your eyes weren't constantly fixated on the television during adverts.

ReputationRep:
    Cost of implementing this would be more than any economic benefit.

Prisons are at all time high capacity as of this week. Get a grip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPK)
    Dude, stop trying to get around ways to break the law! That type of talk could land you in prison once this fantastic idea is implemented.

You'll only encourage the OP to take forensic examinations of your kettle and/or toilet to prove your eyes weren't constantly fixated on the television during adverts.
    But if I go to the bathroom during the game I won't be bombarded by all the in-game advertisments for as long, therefore they wont be as thoroughly stuck in my subconscious.

Am I a bad person?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 122025278)
    The time has come to ban people from skipping or blocking adverts that are shown between TV programmes, videos/programmes shown on the internet and websites. The revenue to fund those services comes predomiantly from advertisements. People always have the choice whether or not they want to use any kind of media on offer to them, if they do chose to then they must respect the rights holders by watching or observing the adverts. "Ad skipping" or "Ad blocking" whether by using software, Sky Plus, changing channel or even switching webpage when they are on results in a market distorition. The revenue for media companies derives mostly from adverts, as less people take notice of them, companies will offer less to advertise and the quality of media content will ultimately fall.

My proposal is legislation to tackle this problem. Any company offering content with adverts should make it clear that when a consumer chooses to take advantage of this they are entering a contract with them. It should become a criminal offence to skip adverts, punishable by up to 6 months imprisonment and/or a fine of no more than £20,000. This could quite easily be placed into an amended Digital Economy Act 2012. The evidence for prosecutions would be indisputable as most of it would come from subscriber records, i.e. Freeview, Sky, Virgin, BT etc. for TV programmes and IP addresses for online offences. Fast forwarding past trailers on DVD's would be harder to offer evidence of, but witnesses and forensic examination of the DVD player would be of most use.

It sounds draconian but it is a real problem, hitting the revenues of all the major broadcasting and media companies and so their profits and shareholders suffer. It's already been mooted in the US and Japan. Actors have to accept reduced salaries, executives reduced pay packets and writers/producers sell rights to material for less. Most people would just plead guilty, let them serve 2 months in prison and pay a few grand in fines or whatever and come down hard and we'd soon eradicate it.
    i don't want to waste my time watching adverts. they are time wasters and are useless anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Not to mention that no one really cares about media quality. Not enough for this bull**** anyway. I'd rather have millionaire actors get less money than sit through this monstrosity.

ReputationRep:
    Subscription services are the way forward - it's no coincidence the best TV of the past 10 or so years has come from HBO.

don't want to pay subscription - put up with cruddy repeats and dial-a-**** channels.

ReputationRep:
    Fast forwarding past trailers on DVD's would be harder to offer evidence of, but witnesses and forensic examination of the DVD player would be of most use.
    Can't we just waterboard the suspect to get a confession? How could you advocate waiting around for forensic results for such an important issue?!? You really want to leave it in the hands of potentially unreliable witnesses?!?

Waterboard them! This issue is so important that the ends will justify the means!

I'm bored now so I'm going to stop taking the piss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mockery)
    But if I go to the bathroom during the game I won't be bombarded by all the in-game advertisments for as long, therefore they wont be as thoroughly stuck in my subconscious.

Am I a bad person?
    It's that type of thinking that destroyed our economy. I hope you're happy with yourself.

The OP should totally be Chancellor of the Exchequer.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to edit out my response to this thread because this has to be trollin'

ReputationRep:
    oh wow what a thread.

ReputationRep:

-No one ever watched them before anyway, we all just went and made a cup of tea/had a poo in the ad breaks.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously the OP is way over the top, but in some ways it does seem a bit strange that avoiding ads is perfectly fine and legal, yet downloading TV shows from bittorrent generally isn't. Now I certainly wouldn't go as far as making it illegal to switch channels or just not watch the ads, that's ridiculous. But I'm thinking of things like ad supported web sites. If you use an ad blocker on an ad supported website, it's kind of equivalent to illegally downloading a TV show. The point is the content creator isn't getting any money for you watching it. In this case, the ad company will probably still pay them because they don't know you blocked the ads, but it still brings the total worth of the advertising down and hence less money for the site. Also it seems inconsistent that the effect of watching a TV show on TV and not watching the ads is equivalent to torrenting it from the point of view of the TV company. In fact you could argue it's worse for them for people to watch it on TV and skip the ads because they've had to incur the cost of distribution.

Not that I actually want to make it illegal. I like using TSR ad free without paying a subscription

ReputationRep:
    If you use an ad blocker on an ad supported website, it's kind of equivalent to illegally downloading a TV show. The point is the content creator isn't getting any money for you watching it.
    I don't think you know how an ad blocker works.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.