Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering if Oxford is even a possibility for me, and wondering how an American applicant's qualifications are normally treated.

I have a large interest in history, and also one in language. I taught myself French to read historical papers and philosophical essays (the standards, Montesquieu, voltaire, montaigne, and such), and took 4 years of german, skipping the 2nd level. I hope to be a professor of history, largely for the ability to remain in school for the rest of my life.

My test scores are
    ACT-33-99th percentile

Instead of A levels, I sat AP tests, which are graded on a 1-5 basis, 3 consider passing, 5 is comparable to an A-A* grade on an a level. They are used to gain credit ahead of time for classes in university and for university admissions. They are not required and are considered difficult. Most students sit around 7 to 8 exam by graduation, but I'm a bit of an academic masochist.
    World History-5
    European History-5
    Environmental Science-5
    US Government-5
    Psychology-5
    Macroeconomics-4
    Microeconomics-4
    English literature-4
    English language-4
    French language-4
    Human Geography-4
    Comparative Government-4
    US History-3
    Biology-3
    German Language-3

For SAT subject tests, I'm taking them this Saturday, but I'm aiming for above a 700 on French and English literature

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Also of note, I do intend to apply to the History and Portuguese course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trentgreene)
    I'm just wondering if Oxford is even a possibility for me, and wondering how an American applicant's qualifications are normally treated.

I have a large interest in history, and also one in language. I taught myself French to read historical papers and philosophical essays (the standards, Montesquieu, voltaire, montaigne, and such), and took 4 years of german, skipping the 2nd level. I hope to be a professor of history, largely for the ability to remain in school for the rest of my life.

My test scores are
    ACT-33-99th percentile

Instead of A levels, I sat AP tests, which are graded on a 1-5 basis, 3 consider passing, 5 is comparable to an A-A* grade on an a level. They are used to gain credit ahead of time for classes in university and for university admissions. They are not required and are considered difficult. Most students sit around 7 to 8 exam by graduation, but I'm a bit of an academic masochist.
    World History-5
    European History-5
    Environmental Science-5
    US Government-5
    Psychology-5
    Macroeconomics-4
    Microeconomics-4
    English literature-4
    English language-4
    French language-4
    Human Geography-4
    Comparative Government-4
    US History-3
    Biology-3
    German Language-3

For SAT subject tests, I'm taking them this Saturday, but I'm aiming for above a 700 on French and English literature

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated
    I don't think APs are quite as in-depth as A levels so I don't think it's as simple as 5 = A/A* considering A levels are 2 year courses.
    I read somewhere that most successful American applicants have around 5 APs at grade 5, even though the minimum is 3 APs. However, you're still fine if that's the case grades-wise.

I think it's definitely worth applying. Oxford also have the option for you to study one module (?) on a French historical text, (Tocqueville I think) which seems right up your street.

Please note you will need to sit the History Aptitude Test on the 2nd of November, so it's fast approaching.
    Also, no matter how good your grades are, the interviews are probably the single most important deciding factor for admission - it's not like an american interview where they want to see if you're a good 'fit' for a college. My friend at Harvard said his interview at Cambridge (UK) was an academic grilling compared to a pleasant chat with a Harvard Alumnus (You will probably be interviewed by the tutor who will be teaching you for the next three years).

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    SAT Reasoning Test with at least 1,400 in Critical Reading and Mathematics and preferably also 700 or more in Writing, giving a combined score of at least 2,100
    OR
    ACT with a score of at least 32 out of 36.

AND

Grade 5 in three or more Advanced Placement Tests in appropriate subjects
    OR
    SAT Subject Tests in three appropriate subjects at 700 or better.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...t_of_the_world

You do realise the deadline for applications is the 15th of October, right? Assuming you're applying for 2012 entry.

As the above poster said, there is also the HAT to arrange.

There is a wealth of information on the International Student pages of the Oxford website. There will be contact details for people who would be more than happy to help with any queries you have.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.