London Living - cost and areas Watch

jermaindefoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

I am going to be moving from kent at the end of this academic year more than likely to live in London with the gf. We will both be working in the city <touch wood> and commanding wages around 30k each give or take a bit.

Is it likely that we wont be able to afford hardly anything, would we be best off living in north Kent - Gravesend maybe? Also, how do you determine where the best places are to live, ideally I want to live somewhere i am not going to get stabbed going to the shop :teeth:

Any other information on Living in london would be much appreciated
Bonged.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
60 k a year between you?

I'd say richmond. V safe and no muggings or rioting types.
Lord Jon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You have loads of choices:

Live in nice Commuter areas out of london but easy access to here. (Watford is on the London Underground for example and so is Amersham etc....)

OR

Come to Ealing :awesome: A nice part of London or....

* Harrow
*Parts of Camden
*Richmond (or cheaper areas like Twickenham, teddington etc....)
*Kingston
*Contrary to popular belief: Parts of the London Borough of Brent are nice and quite safe.

These are all South / West London but you got your East London parts and North london like

Barnet or Docklands, Shadwell etc.....

Living on the edge of london in say West Drayton is cheap.
Lord Jon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jermaindefoe)
Hi,

I am going to be moving from kent at the end of this academic year more than likely to live in London with the gf. We will both be working in the city <touch wood> and commanding wages around 30k each give or take a bit.

Is it likely that we wont be able to afford hardly anything, would we be best off living in north Kent - Gravesend maybe? Also, how do you determine where the best places are to live, ideally I want to live somewhere i am not going to get stabbed going to the shop :teeth:

Any other information on Living in london would be much appreciated

Wait: Good question: How much are you willing to spend and what kind of qa place do you want? What do you really want from an area? Do you have a vehicle or will you use public transport?
jermaindefoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Agent Smirnoff)
Wait: Good question: How much are you willing to spend and what kind of qa place do you want? What do you really want from an area? Do you have a vehicle or will you use public transport?
we have 2 cars - doubt we will need / want them in london - fook driving round there

1 bedroom flat - 2 at a push - £1500 a month i guess? - want somewhere that's commutable to the city centre in less than an hour! else i might as well stay in kent - and somewhere i am not likely to get stabbed going to get a pint of milk
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
**** the suburbs, live in Central (Zone 1/2), I'm sure you could afford it.

Take a look at the decent areas of Camden, Islington, Tower Hamlets (if you're really looking to save money, places like Bethnal Green and Bow are nice, but relatively cheap - and safe).

1 bedroom flat - 2 at a push - £1500 a month i guess? - want somewhere that's commutable to the city centre in less than an hour! else i might as well stay in kent - and somewhere i am not likely to get stabbed going to get a pint of milk
This does not happen in London anymore than it does in any other urban area, stop reading the Daily Mail.
Lord Jon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
we have 2 cars - doubt we will need / want them in london - fook driving round there

If you are working in Central London and want to commute then you may as well live in Zone 1 or 2.

Do you intend on keeping those cars or getting rid of/ not using them. You have to think of where you live and the Parking etc......

after thee questions , I can help you find out a nice list of areas.

(Original post by Democracy)
**** the suburbs, live in Central (Zone 1/2), I'm sure you could afford it.

Take a look at the decent areas of Camden, Islington, Tower Hamlets (if you're really looking to save money, places like Bethnal Green and Bow are nice, but relatively cheap - and safe).

This does not happen in London anymore than it does in any other urban area, stop reading the Daily Mail.

Bits in Bold: :shock:

:slap:

Bits in Red: Some of those are nice areas to be honest from when I happened to pass through those areas the odd few times. Hendon is also a nice place.

I have to question you on "Tower Hamlets" though :lolwut:

Many a time have I heard that area on London Tonight. We aren't just talking a kind visit to the local Primary School by BoJon neither. :sigh:
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have to question you on "Tower Hamlets" though :lolwut:
Don't see why, I lived there for three years. You could live on a nice quiet street in Bow or Bethnal Green in a Georgian terrace for much less than what you'd pay for a similar place in Camden or Angel.

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/ar...ightonbow.html

Hendon's definitely too suburban for my liking. What's there to do over there? Rhetorical question since I know the answer is nothing, I'm very familiar with the area :p:
Lord Jon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't see why, I lived there for three years. You could live on a nice quiet street in Bow or Bethnal Green in a Georgian terrace for much less than what you'd pay for a similar place in Camden or Angel.

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/ar...ightonbow.html

Hendon's definitely too suburban for my liking. What's there to do over there? Rhetorical question since I know the question is nothing, I'm very familiar with the area :p:
Oh I see.

Damn it looks nice. But:

(Original post by Homes and Property ( An imprint of the Evening Standard Limited))
Average rental prices: E3
One-bedroom flat: £200 to £300 a week
Two-bedroom flat: £250 to £450 a week
:shock: That is expensive! If it is that much then I do not want to see the rent in Camden or Angel.

Seems nice tbh.

What kind of property do you live in and how much does it cost you may I ask for the benefit of us?
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What kind of property do you live in and how much does it cost you may I ask for the benefit of us?
I don't live in Tower Hamlets anymore :p:
Lord Jon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't live in Tower Hamlets anymore :p:
Oh I see.

No point asking if you remember where you lived and how much rent you paid/ what property it was? You might not remember :sad:

Thanks anyway
scribble_girl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What about lovely Clapham?!

I am obviously biased, but it is loverly.
precious7
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Move to north london -enfield, you will love it
Little Jules
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
On £30k each you should be able to find something that you can afford in zones 1 and 2. Look on somewhere like rightmove to get an idea of flat rental prices. Work out how much you are willing to pay in rent, and how much you want to pay for transport vs. commuting time. You may need to look at studio appartments as well.

Look at areas with easy commutes to roughly where you'll be working, to minimise changes on the tube etc. Consider what you want in an area. For example, flats in Canary Wharft etc are usually cheaper, but there's a lot less going on there. If you're both in the city, you might want to look East, at Dalston/Shoreditch/Islington/Highbury etc, or places where trains go into Liverpool Street. Also, some areas of South London are quite good value.
chloescloud
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Rightmove is not bad, or Findaproperty. There is another one now Propertyads. I just used it to do some online research. There was some problem with the post code search but it was ok. On these websites you can also find some info about the area, transport and see if they suit you.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk
http://www.findaproperty.com
http://www.propertyads.co.uk
Good luck.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (261)
45%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (174)
30%
I don't have an opinion (145)
25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise