Turn on thread page Beta

What would it take for you to "fight back"? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Secondary to this thread re inequality and lack of democracy, both in the UK and globally, a common theme amongst the replies was this:

As long as I live a quality life, I don't care about anyone else. Call me a sell out or whatever but I'd rather enjoy life then spending it thinking about how to conquer the bourgeoisie.
    Life, given the enormous events which would bring around a 'revolution' or some kind of change, would not be worth the effort. I feel fine like it is.
    So I was wondering, to those who agree, what would it take for you to potentially risk your wealth and job and even life to change society?

Could any amount of injustice or brutality carried out against someone other than you and your friends and family provoke you?

Would it have to be something occurring to yourself personally?

Would you have to lose your home, your access to health care and education, or just your disposable income?

Just trying to figure out how wide the moral radius of the average Brit is these days.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be pretty much happy with life so long as I can live it without being interrupted by the govt. As soon as they start getting in my way, that's when I'd "fight back".

ReputationRep:
    The UK isn't brutal, undemocratic or particularly unjust. That is probably why the vast majority of people don't feel the need to kill themselves and others over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciaran88)
    Could any amount of injustice or brutality carried out against someone other than you and your friends and family provoke you?
    No. If it doesn't directly affect me, I couldn't give a ****. Look am an atheists, this life doesn't have any sort of inherent meaning. All I'm trying to do in this life is achieve happiness. I could go out and try and override the government but CHANCES are am not going to make any sort of impact and even if I do CHANCES are that any impact I make will come AFTER my death. What good would that do for me? Why the **** would I care that a bunch of starving Africans (just realized this sounds racist, I'm not meaning to be most of my external family are poor Africans heck my family was once poor Africans so don't mean to sound racist) are no longer starving? I'm dead. I sacrificed my happiness for theirs. What good did that do for me now? I pretty much failed at life because as I said previously for me life is about achieving happiness. I'm a rational man, if it's improbable and takes to much time, I won't bother. I like helping people out e.g. donating money, helping old ladies get on the bus, other charitable things because those actions actually produce happiness for me and they don't require much sacrifice.

Also, I have this weird mindset. I love the bilderberg group. I love illuminati. I love Justin Bieber. I love geeks. I love meatheads. I love the bourgeoisie. I love manchester united even though I don't live anywhere near it. I don't mind being called a glory hunter because that's what I am. I love success! I don't complain about these groups, I strive to join their ranks.

ReputationRep:
    What the above guys said, I'm a rational egoist and that's all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenopain)
    Also, I have this weird mindset. I love the bilderberg group. I love illuminati. I love Justin Bieber. I love geeks. I love meatheads. I love the bourgeoisie. I love manchester united even though I don't live anywhere near it. I don't mind being called a glory hunter because that's what I am. I love success! I don't complain about these groups, I strive to join their ranks.
    What is it with illuminati references on this board? Are you 13 years old or what!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciaran88)
    What is it with illuminati references on this board? Are you 13 years old or what!?
    Lol, I was using it figuratively. I thought you would be able to make that connection.

ReputationRep:
    If I thought a victory was possible. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    it would have to be my country and it would have to be something seriously wrong. anything that effects our poplulation will affect each individual on different levels, but i would not be able to sit back and watch people in my country suffering if there was something i could do about it - but im talking about like libya level, not these ridiculous london riots, although i do soo wish i could go and smash those idiots heads together i have no idea what the hell they were thinking destroying peoples property and lives like that for absolutely no reason.

ReputationRep:
    I am fighting back, i am a product of the system i was born to destroy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DynamicSyngery)
    The UK isn't brutal, undemocratic or particularly unjust. That is probably why the vast majority of people don't feel the need to kill themselves and others over it.
    It's generally not brutal to it's own population, at least so long as the status quo isn't challenged which it almost never is. It is entirely undemocratic, along with near enough every other nation on the planet, and justice, well... I don't know how just it is that our taxes bail out failed banks to keep CEOs in the millions, and our public services are sold off to private enterprise to make a quick buck etc.

But you're right, as a middle class nation, Britain exports most of it's brutality and exploitation abroad. One member just replied that she'd only react to events occurring within this country so I guess that rules her and people like her out of really caring about what Britain does around the world then.

I wonder how much you people represent the average Brit?

ReputationRep:
    I think many aspects of society have changed at modern day life. Those who are the proletairiat now would not be considered poor many decades ago! Because then the class system was much wider!

ReputationRep:
    I often wonder how many people would join me, or anyone for that matter if they started 'rebelling'. Politically not in the medievil sense! Theres a lot of things wrong with this country. I still think its the best out of all the countries in the world however in terms of living standards and how the government has an unbelievable amount of services, most not even that necessary and would of been scrapped ages ago in other countries, that are there to help us.

Theres still a lot of problems that a lot of people think the same on but dont seem to mention it concerning a lot of area's. However most people IMO just sweep these feelings under the carpet and try to integrate into the system instead. And thats logical, why would someone feel compelled to try and take out something if they think their on their own against a huge political-financial system.

Perhaps one day the dominoe effect might take place. If a few people start spreading the correct ideology, then it might all fall into place. But I think to improve this world it has to be done outside of conventional politics, our current methods are so slow. I personally think a lot of todays problems could be fixed with a huge reform of the monetary system, or even in a scrap and replace scheme. Because the way its gone at the moment politicians are forced to make sure all policies, internal and external, revolve around 'spending'.

ReputationRep:
    If it doesn't effect myself, my family or my friends then it can wait until the next life.

If you were starving and the poor were rich, would most of them help you (People who care to the extent you seem to OP are really rare-I'm just a little more honest about being a selfish *******)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDubs)
    I often wonder how many people would join me, or anyone for that matter if they started 'rebelling'. Politically not in the medievil sense! Theres a lot of things wrong with this country. I still think its the best out of all the countries in the world however in terms of living standards and how the government has an unbelievable amount of services, most not even that necessary and would of been scrapped ages ago in other countries, that are there to help us.

Theres still a lot of problems that a lot of people think the same on but dont seem to mention it concerning a lot of area's. However most people IMO just sweep these feelings under the carpet and try to integrate into the system instead. And thats logical, why would someone feel compelled to try and take out something if they think their on their own against a huge political-financial system.

Perhaps one day the dominoe effect might take place. If a few people start spreading the correct ideology, then it might all fall into place. But I think to improve this world it has to be done outside of conventional politics, our current methods are so slow. I personally think a lot of todays problems could be fixed with a huge reform of the monetary system, or even in a scrap and replace scheme. Because the way its gone at the moment politicians are forced to make sure all policies, internal and external, revolve around 'spending'.
    Well... what you've said may be right but you've got to remember, this is not the class you'd historically expect change from. This is the class you'd expect excuses and apathy and trumped up philosophies that basically amount to "I don't care what happens to people worse off than me, I'm fine".

Major rebellion usually comes from the classes below, the middle class barely play a role in these things and are more or less swept aside by history like the inconsequential drones they are.

There's a lot of talk about the modern middle classes being "more enlightened than ever", I was ust wondering how true that was. Probably more true than... ancient Byzantium, but in the scheme of things... I reckon they're probably as inconsequential as ever.

The middle classes in other countries are probably more engaged and less apathetic it's true, Britain does seem particularly mindless, even more so than the US, but even in France and Spain and Greece etc. it tends to only amount to anything when that middle class way of life is actually threatened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak137)
    I am fighting back, i am a product of the system i was born to destroy.
    Lowkey.

ReputationRep:
    Bottle of Vodka and a small incident to get me in a fighting mood then that's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrdreamerstar)
    Lowkey.
    Hahah, i wondering as i was posting that if anyone will recognise where i got it from

The quote is very relevant, however.

You buying his album, Oct 16th?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I'll be pretty much happy with life so long as I can live it without being interrupted by the govt. As soon as they start getting in my way, that's when I'd "fight back".
    The govt are small fry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak137)
    Hahah, i wondering as i was posting that if anyone will recognise where i got it from

The quote is very relevant, however.

You buying his album, Oct 16th?
    hm yeah definately buying it is it 16th or 12? i'll probably pre-order it on itunes

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2011
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.