Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey iv just moved into PJM and iv set up my internet, i use my pc for gaming and so i have programs like Steam and Teamspeak 3, these sadly all require ports to be opened due to the way the network is set up. I managed to find a list of the ports needed to be opened to get steam working but as you can see its a stupid amount, and it actually used up all my "allowed" ports:
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...8571-GLVN-8711

I was wondering if anyone else has done this and found that only a few of these needed opening, so i can open more ports for other programs thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If you find a way, tell me.
    I'm a second year student stuck in halls again, when I phoned up last year to see if any of the ports could be opened automaticaly instead of taking up my allowance the guy said it's not possible because it's used by other things.

Could try phoning them up again this year... I would link you but I can't access it because I'm in in Aber yet.

ReputationRep:
    If you look at http://www.inf.aber.ac.uk/advisory/faq/757
    That was the best one for steam i've found.

since i'm attempting to hook up for Steam and World of Warcraft

But having absolutely zero luck, I don't see why if enough of us actually ask them why they can't automaticaly set it up, since, they allow us to open the ports anyway.

(I'm in PJM also, last year was no issue, it's odd.)

ReputationRep:
    Im having serious problems, i opened ports for steam (steam itself connects and works fine - downloads games and friends thing works) but after opening the ports for 2 games i would like to play (i didnt have enough allocated ports to get any more working, stingy *******s) It still wont work, the uni network still blocks games from loading mp servers and stops you from connecting to them, which is very annoying because they have a blanket policy that if you attempt a "peer to peer" connection they disable your internet for an hour, no questions asked. So even after unlocking the ports required for this game, i still got blocked from the internet. They refuse to help me at Information Services as they dont support "non academic" use of the network, EVEN THOUGH were technically paying for it in our accomodation rent!

The main issue is that presumerably if you open the ports the game uses, it should work (just like opening the ports steam uses worked) but for me it hasnt, and i dont have enough allowed ports to open to try with every game, or the time since you have to wait till 8am the next morning to check if it worked.

I have heard of no other uni that does this, all my friends that game have been able to

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 12, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.