The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

What are the people that don't want to go to any of the organised events doing?

Basically I seem to be the only one in my flat that is fairly shy, but that does not want to stay locked up in my room.

I just don't really enjoy clubbing, and i don't think its a good way to get to know people because you can't talk, and the only event I was really interested in was the quiz but I'm not going to pay £20 for a JCR pack so I can go to a quiz.

So I'm just wondering what people are doing to meet other people and have fun, and if anyone is in the same sort of situation and wants to meet up?

Scroll to see replies

Omg. Same. D; It's awkward with my flat mates who like to drink and I'm the lame one with my milkshake or something. I haven't really been able to 'gel' with them. The people I've met from other blocks seem cool =( dfhgkjdghkjfdhgkjfd
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Cookie_crumbs
Omg. Same. D; It's awkward with my flat mates who like to drink and I'm the lame one with my milkshake or something. I haven't really been able to 'gel' with them. The people I've met from other blocks seem cool =( dfhgkjdghkjfdhgkjfd

Mine seem to be nocturnal, apart from the Vietnamesse girl, she's quiet like me but just seems to shut herself away in her room. We went up to the campus together today but now she's just hidden away. I haven't even seen one of my flatmates yet, he arrived yesterday while I was out with my parents- ok I've seen him now he actually literally locks himself in his room.
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh! All of the people in my flat seem to be out and I'm the only one here now. o__o *Awkward*At least some of yours are okay =P All of mine are PARTEH types which I don't mind butttt I just don't get on with them well enough. ;0
Reply 4
^^you guys can come find me. [I'm in Glen] and I'll introduce you to a couple of like-minded people if you want!
Reply 5
Im the same, I am probably heading over to the Jazz night at the bridge if people wanna go?
Reply 6
I'm in orion's point so i'm quite a way away. don't really know my way around yet. I Thought it would be more kind of getting to know each other events but they're all just trying to get you drunk .
Reply 7
Original post by Samk44
I'm kind of stuck going out, cause I didn't buy any tickets and I hate clubs but my flatmates are really nice and they're all trying to find me tickets and get me out and stuff but I just hate clubs. I went to the RAG thing today and I thought it was great, but they all thought it was rubbish, and its kind of becoming clear I don't really have a lot in common with them. I'm going out tonight and I just dont have the right stuff to wear and I don't know what to do and its all really awkward but they're all fine with it and I can see this happening for at least a week or two until we all drift off to other groups. Tbh I just don't know what to do, I can only come up with so many excuses and they've been so nice about it, I can't just refuse to go out. I've only got one thing I can just about get away with wearing to a club but once I've worn that tonight, I'm completely stuck and I can't afford to go and buy an entire wardrobe of tiny skirts and skimpy tops that I would rather die than wear. Urgh I was so excited for Freshers and everything...

I was like that the first night, I got dragged out to the welcome party, but I just said to them its not really my thing, so they don't pester me now. But you know it doesn't mean that I don't want to go out I just don't want to go clubbing. I've sort of hinted that we could go to the cinema and stuff but they seem obsessed with going out clubbing every night this week.

I've tried getting them to come with me to the stuff at the campus today but they just want to sleep into the afternoon. I've tried suggesting we all go to the survival day together tomorrow but they just refuse to commit to anything.
Reply 8
Hey, I'm not really into clubbing at all, but I'd still like to do stuff. I mean the guys in my halls are all awesome, but so far they've been out clubbing every night and I'm stuck here alone. I'm in Highfield Hall x)
Reply 9
I mean there's plenty of stuff to do that's not clubbing, but none of them seem to want to do it. I'd be quite happy to meet some of you all to go out to a pub quiz (there seems to be one every night somewhere) or the cinema or something. Orion's point is practically it the city centre so people could come by and we could meet up to do something. I've even got 1/2 a chocolate cake I made for coming here which no-one seems to be eating, even if someone just wants to come round for some cake!
Haha well I'd be up for that if you want. I'm right next to campus, but the city centre isn't too difficult to get to I don't think... Haha cake sounds good :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by sammyria
I mean there's plenty of stuff to do that's not clubbing, but none of them seem to want to do it. I'd be quite happy to meet some of you all to go out to a pub quiz (there seems to be one every night somewhere) or the cinema or something. Orion's point is practically it the city centre so people could come by and we could meet up to do something. I've even got 1/2 a chocolate cake I made for coming here which no-one seems to be eating, even if someone just wants to come round for some cake!

Where are you in Orion's Point? I'm pretty much in the same situation as you, all my flatmates want to do is go clubbing every night!
Reply 12
Original post by Galaxie
Where are you in Orion's Point? I'm pretty much in the same situation as you, all my flatmates want to do is go clubbing every night!

Stalker! 6th floor (In B block), so no stairs for me :smile: How about you? Feeling a bit better about it now you're here?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Stalker! 6th floor (In B block), so no stairs for me :smile: How about you? Feeling a bit better about it now you're here?

Haha! Don't worry, I'm not a freak or anything. I'm on 9th floor.
Reply 14
Original post by Galaxie
Haha! Don't worry, I'm not a freak or anything. I'm on 9th floor.

Ooo aren't we posh in the penthouse. I'd invite you round but I'm in my pyjamas and I'm knackered. I don't sleep well anyway but everyone keeps slamming doors when they come in.
Reply 15
Ooo aren't we posh in the penthouse. I'd invite you round but I'm in my pyjamas and I'm knackered. I don't sleep well anyway but everyone keeps slamming doors when they come in.

Haha, don't worry about it, I know the feeling. I'm such a light sleeper, I've had hardly any sleep since being here. If you want to meet up any other night or something though let me know, even if it's just to say hi.
Reply 16
Original post by Galaxie
Haha, don't worry about it, I know the feeling. I'm such a light sleeper, I've had hardly any sleep since being here. If you want to meet up any other night or something though let me know, even if it's just to say hi.

That would be lovely. My roomies will be out at the army night tommorow so then might be good?
Reply 17
That would be lovely. My roomies will be out at the army night tommorow so then might be good?

Good idea. My flatmates want me to go, so it'll give me a reason to get out of it!
Reply 18
Original post by Galaxie
Good idea. My flatmates want me to go, so it'll give me a reason to get out of it!

Great shall we outside the lift? What time would be good?
Reply 19
I was like that the first night, I got dragged out to the welcome party, but I just said to them its not really my thing, so they don't pester me now. But you know it doesn't mean that I don't want to go out I just don't want to go clubbing. I've sort of hinted that we could go to the cinema and stuff but they seem obsessed with going out clubbing every night this week.

I've tried getting them to come with me to the stuff at the campus today but they just want to sleep into the afternoon. I've tried suggesting we all go to the survival day together tomorrow but they just refuse to commit to anything.

Clubbing can't be that bad. Have you tried it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending