The Student Room Group

I feel like a girl when I drink

Scroll to see replies

It's just laddish behaviour, get over it!

Don't ignore it - you'll seem like you're isolating yourself from the group, it's just banter, give them some back!

Drink what you want to drink though - they'll respect you more for drinking what you want rather than bowing to peer pressure.
Reply 41
Don't worry about it really. If I'm in a pub that serves it I end up drinking double Fireball whisky with ice all night. If you get mocked point out the beer's ABV and offer to do a shot of Tequila with them.
Reply 42
I've been laughed at for drinking Gin before, which I don't understand. Gin. :drool:

I usually drink Beer or Vodka and Lemonade... liking a certain drink doesn't mean I suddenly start to fancy someone of the same sex.

You mates are just having a laugh with you, I often joke that my mate is on the Ribena tonight if he is drinking Kopparberg and he has a joke about what I drink sometimes. I wouldn't take it to seriously.
Reply 43
Buy a bottle of J.D

:colonhash:
Original post by nickth
Basically, I get a lot of ridicule for my choices of drinks when I go out.

Typical drinks that I go for are

Southern Comfort and Lemonade

Bombay Sapphire and Lemonade

Jose Cuervo Gold Tequila

A cocktail of Gin, Grand Marinier and citrus juices

I also like, but refrain from drinking

Malibu and Lemonade

Archers and Lemonade

I just drink what I like, really. But then my guy friends are always like "are you looking for **** tonight,", "I'll give you a drink from the golden shower you *****," laddish behaviour etc...

But what am I meant to drink as a guy? I love a Jägerbomb on special occasions, I'll have a few pints before I go out but not much more. I don't understand because I can't see any manly drinks out there.

Oh and yeah, I get the piss taken out of me because I like gin as well :colondollar:

Personally I'd say sod them, you drink what you like, I bet they've never tried any of those drinks themselves and only started to drink lager to fit in with the others, daring to be different and do what you want shows strength of character.

Raven
Reply 45
Who gives a toss? There was a pub I used to sometimes go to at lunchtimes and I normally had a couple of Boddingtons and the old blokes used to always take the piss and ask if I was buying it for 'my tart' (it is quite a light ale). I just used to tell them to **** off and no, I was buying it for their missus.

Some older guys even take the piss out of guys drinking lager saying that it is a girls drink and that real men drink bitter. Just drink what you want and tell them to get to ****. If they are just taking the piss for a laugh then just have a joke back with them.
Vodka and Red Bull?
Reply 47
Original post by cloppy
Some of the real laddish lads insist on coke or orange squash in a carling glass, and I'm all wtf is this madness.

I have to admit - I often ask for a Carling glass regardless of whether I am drinking another brand of lager or even a soft drink such as coke. The reason is that they are a much nicer glass compared to the typical straight sided lager glasses which tend to be wetter on the sides because of the lack of texture and are also easier to drop. The new Guiness glass is also a good choice!
Reply 48
Its only girly if its pink and/or its put in a fancy glass

When i first started working in a pub, and guys ordered kopparberg mixed fruit, i always thought it was weird... In canada, cider is a girl thing, but its still 8%...which is more then most here...

The point is, our cider is stronger then in britain, but its seen mostly as a girl thing.... Everyone has their own pre-conceived notions of what is and isn't 'girly'. So just ignore them and drink what you drink.

Anyways, all the business boys buy gin and tonic and mojitos...
Reply 49
Original post by Jake22
I have to admit - I often ask for a Carling glass regardless of whether I am drinking another brand of lager or even a soft drink such as coke. The reason is that they are a much nicer glass compared to the typical straight sided lager glasses which tend to be wetter on the sides because of the lack of texture and are also easier to drop. The new Guiness glass is also a good choice!

Fosters glasses and Carlsberg glasses are better, in my opinion.
Carling is an awful beer aswell.
Original post by Derfel
That's wonderful, but anything other than beer is for homosexuals and god hates homosexuals and they'll burn in hell. Not to mention if you promote men drinking homosexual drinks, then you promote homosexuality and that means you'll go to hell because you are spreading the word of the Devil and his homosexuality, rather than the word of Jesus.

Jesus invented beer for men, he didn't bring any other drinks, just beer. Drinking anything else is spitting on him, which means you'll be going to hell and the only drink they serve there are glasses of fiery damnation.

Wasn't Jesus the one that turned water into wine?

Reply 51
Original post by Derfel
You cannot get manlier than drinking beer with the Uni Rugby team.

The Rugby team at most unis are despised for their 'laddish' behaviour and the fact that most of them can't handle their drink. 1 WKD and most of them are throwing up in the street.

They're not lads, they're just douches.
Original post by soutioirsim
More? I was completely ****ed, that's about it :tongue:

Actually, my cousin had some as well. He literally pooed his pants.

I just choked on my food. Hahaha.
Reply 53
Original post by MattyEFC
Fosters glasses and Carlsberg glasses are better, in my opinion.
Carling is an awful beer aswell.

Saying Fosters and Carlsberg are better than Carling is a bit like saying a punch in the teeth is better than a kick in the guts - true but moot.
Original post by Davies_M
Bombay sapphire, tonic, lime and a whole ****load of ice. mmmm...

Amen. Gin is not a girls drink. Only have it with lemonade when you can't find tonic or a gun to kill yourself with . . .
Reply 55
Drink whatever you want, for god's sake. :s-smilie:
Reply 56
Original post by Dorito
I've been laughed at for drinking Gin before, which I don't understand. Gin. :drool:

I usually drink Beer or Vodka and Lemonade... liking a certain drink doesn't mean I suddenly start to fancy someone of the same sex.

You mates are just having a laugh with you, I often joke that my mate is on the Ribena tonight if he is drinking Kopparberg and he has a joke about what I drink sometimes. I wouldn't take it to seriously.

I love gin-my first spirit and still favourite! I had a bad experience with some beers and I can't keep a lot of them down, but if it were necessary I'd out-drink most beer-heads with gin.
Reply 57
Original post by Hypocrism
I love gin-my first spirit and still favourite! I had a bad experience with some beers and I can't keep a lot of them down, but if it were necessary I'd out-drink most beer-heads with gin.

I can't drink it on a night out, mainly cos' in student clubs Vodka is the only cheap spirit and also I don't like using it to get drunk... it needs to be appreciated! I remember being in Spain a few years back when the sun was setting over the sea with a Gin and Tonic in my hand.

That might not be laddish but it was awesome! :awesome:
Original post by screenager2004
Ignore their bull****. I only drink beer when I go out, does that make me a bloke? No. I find it a bit rude, this notion that all women are sissy pansies and its degrading for a man to drink feminine drinks because obviously its degrading to be a female. When in reality cocktails and spirits are much stronger than beer.

Nothing wrong with being a girl but no dude wants to be seen as a girl hence the insults of "pussy" "pansy" and "little girl"

According to google it seems a lot of guys are worried about this

http://www.google.co.uk/search?gcx=w&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=pimms+gay#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=gayest%20drink&pbx=1&oq=&aq=&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=67ee523e5225ed5a&biw=1920&bih=979&pf=p&pdl=500

I find the best comeback to being accused of doing something homo is to continue doing it and go "yeah, I'm gay and proud, and what?"
Reply 59
Original post by Jake22

Quite right, quite right. I detect a seasoned drinker! I often put Stella in Carling glasses because it holds the fizz better. Stella glasses somehow make it flat as a pancake in the space of a few minutes. It's mystical in a way, but quite irritating I'd imagine (especially if you've paid £3.25 for it :eek:).

The laddy-lads at my pub are just phobic of any glass that looks vaguely womanly. They get their comeuppance though. If they ask for a straw I only give them pink ones :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending