Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why do Birmingham University gives less first class honour than similarly ranked uni?
    with about the same entry standard, same research standard, same teaching standard according to the league table, i wonder why birmingham university gives less first class honour than other similarly ranked university in the business school, such as Exeter for example. according to unistats.com

ReputationRep:
    perhaps the exams set are harder ? there is no external examination body that regulates these things like with a levels.

ReputationRep:
    why are they much harder?
    They should be of uniform standard across the UK?

ReputationRep:
    Can you post the source you got the information on?

It could depend on the subjects that they offer. Most uni's have the same grading criteria, and I think that ALL uni's have at least 1 external examiner per course from a separate university, so things should be pretty consistent.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot comment specifically about Birmingham, but every university has an external examiner system. Basically, a sample of the marked work (typically 15%, including all first, fail and borderline marks) is sent to at least one senior academic at another university for them to check that marking standards are acceptable. For what it's worth, I've been an external examiner for several universities, and I faithfully promise you that we do check things thoroughly!

ReputationRep:
    Uni-stats has the class distribution on all subjects offered at every uni,

I am also surprised by the fact that UoB only gives 2% first class while others like Bristol or Nottingham have 5-8% or so...

p.s For llb

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 28, 2012
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.