Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

I want to get an A at AS this year for French!

Can people who got A grade at AS French give us all your tips, tricks, secrets, resorces and links etc......?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I got a B overall but I got an A in the speaking part so I could advise you on that...

Use more complicated structures such as the subjunctive, make sure you learn all tenses really well, learn by heart a couple of key phrases that you can whip out, PRACTICE and also make sure that you know the vocab for each topic really well!

ReputationRep:
    Being good at French seems the obvious answer.

ReputationRep:
    obviously just be french. i think they speak, read and write it really well the crafty buggers them french....

ReputationRep:
    Here's a post that I made in a similar thread which may be of some help for tips on getting an A

In terms of resources; ensure you have your specific exam-board course book, additionally the Letts revision guide is rather good if you can handle extremely long lists of vocab.

In terms of links;

Word Reference is a great online translator for sole words.

French About has everything you'd need to know about French grammar, things to watch out for, etc etc.

French Teacher is great for specific vocab lists, example French essays, and much more.

MFL Online is a nice little site from which you can download example essays, information about topics that you'll study in the A-level, grammar explanations, and a rather nifty spreadsheet upon what common exam mistakes to watch out for.

Forvo is great for making sure that you're pronouncing certain words correctly.

LeMonde or LeFigaro are rather good news sites.

For A-level specific revision S-Cool gives an easy simplistic view of grammar, and Cliff Notes has both 'French I' and 'French II' both of which are extremely helpful for grammar.

Additionally, I'm just going to leave This here; considering that everyone needs to experience a bit of Baudelaire, he's just so amazing. *no bias...*

Hopefully at least something here will be helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smirnoff)
    Hi guys!

I want to get an A at AS this year for French!

Can people who got A grade at AS French give us all your tips, tricks, secrets, resorces and links etc......?

Thanks
    I can only tell you about the AS oral, which I took a year early, and past papers I've done for the written/reading/listening. For the speaking, learn your topic, questions you could be asked, know your tenses solidly, and be spontaneous, even be cheeky with the examiner! For the unprepared role play, if you don't know a word, work your way around it, like 'there is a wonderful landscape of trees from the kitchen', you could work your way around by saying 'de la cuisine, on peut voir des arbres magnifiques', and since you've got the essence correct, you get the point!

For the written/listening/reading, use all the tenses you know (and subjunctive, pluperfect, perfect conditional, maybe even sneak in some historical), and be sure you can understand spoken French, either by listening to radio/similar, or even on the internet!

Best of luck, I got an A in my AS French Oral a year early, I'm hoping for an A overall when I sit the exam outside of lessons!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floorexd)
    obviously just be french. i think they speak, read and write it really well the crafty buggers them french....
    I just don't get how they do it...

ReputationRep:
    I just worked throughout the year and learnt my vocab when I got it rather than when it got to the exams. I had full marks in my listening, reading and writing exams. Make sure you can conjugate verbs correctly and structure sentences properly, the retardsin my class were expecting As when they can barely string a sentence together.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2011

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.