Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard of this degree in bath..Bsc in Business Administration? I have been offered a place but i have heard that the place itself sucks..as in its really boring. On the other hand i have an offer from manchester, and hwile there is no work experience in that course the soical life aspect is much better than bath..
    WHICH SHOULD I CHOOSE???

the sandwich courses they offer are very good but you must remember that in that year they also make you pay half fee's despite the fact you will see your tutors about twice..seemed a little unreasonable to me considering they are asking you to go take up a (potentially) unpaid placement as well, adding £555 extra debt for work experience you could get reasonably easily afterwards..hmm

was not impressed by that

ReputationRep:
    sounds like bath sucks...lol..i think i will go for manchester...plus i hear there is very little diversity in termsn of nationality in bath when compared to manchester..being asian myself i do not find this appealing

(Original post by scandalous)
    sounds like bath sucks...lol..i think i will go for manchester...plus i hear there is very little diversity in termsn of nationality in bath when compared to manchester..being asian myself i do not find this appealing
    bath is a lovely town, quite expensive, and the university itself is very good for sport. one of my asian friends went there (who unfortunatly got stuck living in a flat with a drug dealer, her parents were not impressed and she moved *verrrry* quickly hehe) who really likes the place, you do appear to have to branch out to bristol in the 2nd year as the town is a little lacking...

hmm my choice was between bath and nottingham and i have to say the open day really put me off bath, lots of windswept concrete building, that said you should definetly give it a chance and go have a look around otherwise you'll never know what you have missed

ReputationRep:
    did u chhose nottingham then? what course are u doing?

ReputationRep:
    i got into bath to do psychology with the sandwich year and having thought about it it doesn't sound like a good idea. as a place bath is lovely, its just the fact that in my 3rd year i'd have to live on my own in an unfamiliar city doing a clinical psychology work placement that was unpaid. i can see the value in work placements, to get on the clinical psychology doctorate you need work experience, but once you've left uni you can get a job as an assistant psychologist and be paid 15K a year for the same quality experience. it just doesn't make sense to leave uni in more debt for the sake of an unpaid work placement.

(Original post by VoodooDoll)
    i got into bath to do psychology with the sandwich year and having thought about it it doesn't sound like a good idea. as a place bath is lovely, its just the fact that in my 3rd year i'd have to live on my own in an unfamiliar city doing a clinical psychology work placement that was unpaid. i can see the value in work placements, to get on the clinical psychology doctorate you need work experience, but once you've left uni you can get a job as an assistant psychologist and be paid 15K a year for the same quality experience. it just doesn't make sense to leave uni in more debt for the sake of an unpaid work placement.
    thats exactly the course i got into (AAB wooo), there was an offer of like one or two people being able to go over to harvard for their experience which was very tempting but in the end i just didn't like the place.

to the other person i'm now doing politics at nottingham (but i still have a psych email address, grr)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    thats exactly the course i got into (AAB wooo), there was an offer of like one or two people being able to go over to harvard for their experience which was very tempting but in the end i just didn't like the place.
    yeah i saw the thing about being able to go to harvard for the year, it was splashed all over the prospectus. what they don't tell you is the huge cost involved though and the fact u still have to pay half your normal fees even though you're not at uni. grr. as for the place itself, i didn't really mind it (wasn't as good at some of the other places i visited though) but the sandwich year itself just seems a waste of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    yeah i saw the thing about being able to go to harvard for the year, it was splashed all over the prospectus. what they don't tell you is the huge cost involved though and the fact u still have to pay half your normal fees even though you're not at uni. grr. as for the place itself, i didn't really mind it (wasn't as good at some of the other places i visited though) but the sandwich year itself just seems a waste of money.
    but what about the pay while ur at th ework palcement? dont they say that u will get full time salary? i am thinnking that manchester is a better choice because even though there is no work placemtn atleast i wont be bored to death....anone doing the manchester course business studies and economics??

ReputationRep:
    but what about the pay while ur at th ework palcement? dont they say that u will get full time salary? i am thinnking that manchester is a better choice because even though there is no work placemtn atleast i wont be bored to death....anone doing the manchester course business studies and economics??
    What makes you think you'll be "bored to death"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    What makes you think you'll be "bored to death"?
    well ive heard that there are only a few clubs and im not interested in pubs...plus its in the countryside which im pretty certain is quite dead in itself..unless u like picnics..which i dont really....hmm...and i know someone who goes to bath and says hes bored to death himself...what do u think?

ReputationRep:
    well ive heard that there are only a few clubs and im not interested in pubs...plus its in the countryside which im pretty certain is quite dead in itself..unless u like picnics..which i dont really....hmm...and i know someone who goes to bath and says hes bored to death himself...what do u think?
    1) There are 8 Clubs in Bath. Not an incredible amount but more than most places.

2) I'm not sure what you mean by the countryside. Bath is a CITY, and it is near Bristol. Even London is in the countryside if taken on a big enough scale.

3) He's probably a loser.

ReputationRep:
    1) There are 8 Clubs in Bath. Not an incredible amount but more than most places.

2) I'm not sure what you mean by the countryside. Bath is a CITY, and it is near Bristol. Even London is in the countryside if taken on a big enough scale.

3) He's probably a loser.
    do u go to bath urself??

ReputationRep:
    do u go to bath urself??

Yep.

ReputationRep:
    Yep.
    oh i see...ok well i guess u would know more...i have an offer but then i cannot decide between manchester and bath...for business...what do u think?? and are there any asians at bath at all??

ReputationRep:
    oh i see...ok well i guess u would know more...i have an offer but then i cannot decide between manchester and bath...for business...what do u think?? and are there any asians at bath at all??
    Of course there are. I live with one for a start.

Although I couldn't comment of Ethnic diversity compared to other Unis.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.