Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The labour party just keep on contradicting themselves. First of all they are saying that cutting the budget is ruining the economy and is just not working then they come out and say that they will not be able to reverse the cuts, it's like they are just saying things that will make them popular. If they actually say that they will not increase the budget in the next election than the tories might take advantage of it if public borrowing goes down like it's planned to.

ReputationRep:
    One of the problems of democratic politics with two main parties is that they have to oppose each other in public. It is no good for Labour to say they would do what the Tories are doing, because then nobody would have an incentive to vote for them.

So even if Labour leaders intellectually agree with the Tories, which I am not saying the do (but I suspect they do). They cannot agree with them politcally.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    One of the problems of democratic politics with two main parties is that they have to oppose each other in public. It is no good for Labour to say they would do what the Tories are doing, because then nobody would have an incentive to vote for them.

So even if Labour leaders intellectually agree with the Tories, which I am not saying the do (but I suspect they do). They cannot agree with them politcally.
    Which is stupid really. Consensus politics can be a good thing at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Which is stupid really. Consensus politics can be a good thing at times.
    But wont win you votes
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    But wont win you votes
    I doubt Labour is winning many votes in their first two years anyway. Politicians should put the country first some of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Politicians should put the country first some of the time.
    Beyond their own careers? lol.

ReputationRep:
    Well they aren't going to get many votes with Ed Milliband as leader that's for sure. He has the charisma of a wet fish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darksideday)
    The labour party just keep on contradicting themselves. First of all they are saying that cutting the budget is ruining the economy and is just not working then they come out and say that they will not be able to reverse the cuts, it's like they are just saying things that will make them popular. If they actually say that they will not increase the budget in the next election than the tories might take advantage of it if public borrowing goes down like it's planned to.
    I find their scaremongering very, very unhelpful. Meg Hillier was trying to strike fear into the hearts of vulnerable people by stating "There's a winter fuel crisis coming down the track" and then tried to suggest the government couldn't do anything. Well, Meg, government's don't own energy companies (let alone the 'big six') so how could they prevent a rise in bills?

I bet they will then say "Confidence is at an all-time low", but will forget to say they are the masters of scaremongering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darksideday)
    I think Labour where saying a few points:

a) They disagree with many of the cuts and they would have cut in other areas. Labour still wants cuts (around 60% of the coalitions) but would target them differently by hitting more budgets (International Development and the NHS for example). They'd also abandon many of the reform plans of the coalition which are costing so much.

b) Once things happen its very hard to reverse them. The Tories have not reversed many of Labours programs and Labour would find it difficult to restart services in constained times. Just as Labour eccepted TU reforms in 1997 and the Tories accepted the Equalities Act in 2010 Labour will have to accept some cuts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley Baldwin)
    I find their scaremongering very, very unhelpful. Meg Hillier was trying to strike fear into the hearts of vulnerable people by stating "There's a winter fuel crisis coming down the track" and then tried to suggest the government couldn't do anything. Well, Meg, government's don't own energy companies (let alone the 'big six') so how could they prevent a rise in bills?

I bet they will then say "Confidence is at an all-time low", but will forget to say they are the masters of scaremongering.
    Labour actually brought of a set of proposals on this once involving breaking up the energy market and abolishing the supplier/sale division to allow directly sale-increasing compeititon and hopefully cutting costs.

Remembers Cameron and his 'we're going to have to call in the IMF'? I don't think the Tories can accuse anyone of scaremongering after there years in opposition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Empire08)
    Well they aren't going to get many votes with Ed Milliband as leader that's for sure. He has the charisma of a wet fish.
    Labour's intent was to elect amongst them the most unlikliest leader so as to stave off getting elected for government at a time when the country is enduring an economic mess and a whole host of other problems. All Labour need to do now is wait for the right moment, once the debt is cleared, for example, and they will elect a new leader who is charismatic enough to take them into office. The Tories won't have a chance because they will be associated with the austerity and cuts of the previous years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Labour's intent was to elect amongst them the most unlikliest leader so as to stave off getting elected for government at a time when the country is enduring an economic mess and a whole host of other problems. All Labour need to do now is wait for the right moment, once the debt is cleared, for example, and they will elect a new leader who is charismatic enough to take them into office. The Tories won't have a chance because they will be associated with the austerity and cuts of the previous years.
    I never thought of it that way. Quite a clever idea actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Sad, but probably true.

People would have to be stupid to vote labour in again after the deficit has been cleared to spend spend spend.

If the tories get rid of the deficit by the end of the term I think they might just get voted in again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Empire08)
    Sad, but probably true.

People would have to be stupid to vote labour in again after the deficit has been cleared to spend spend spend.

If the tories get rid of the deficit by the end of the term I think they might just get voted in again.
    But the Tories will be associated with austerity and a whole host of other problems, like high unemployment, social unrest, and probably inflation. Labour will just need to get a charismatic leader who will speak for change. This is how it has been since as long as I can remember. The people will fall for it, as they do everytime. Fed up with cuts, cuts and more cuts, the public might welcome this new charismatic labour leader with open arms, even if it is just a change of government. They would be stupid to vote Labour in again, but this is how it has been for decades. It's either Labour or Conservative. That's how its been and will continue to be.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.