Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So since i have seen people saying that Computing is considered a soft A-level, then why in the top university in UK entry requirements it lists if you want to join the computer science/computing/computer engineering department you need to have an A*AA and the A* can either be maths, physics or COMPUTING?

ReputationRep:
    Because it is a computing course...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by POWW!)
    Because it is a computing course...
    so if i am going to take a computer course then Computing is considered strong since they give the advantage of getting an A* there, and lower on the other two subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous user)
    so if i am going to take a computer course then Computing is considered strong since they give the advantage of getting an A* there, and lower on the other two subjects?
    It's like at A level if you wanted to do maths you would have needed above a B at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    is further maths a good way to go for computing apply for university or should i stick to normal course so i can probably achieve higher grades ??

ReputationRep:
    i find it unfair its considered a soft course, i doubt a lot of people know how to network a computer, write an algorithm or fix hardware problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saberahmed786)
    i find it unfair its considered a soft course, i doubt a lot of people know how to network a computer, write an algorithm or fix hardware problems.
    man its not for that reason that it's considered soft, it's becuase you do a coursework at home which means that you can get help but then again, many people don't get high grades because examiners are stricter, so i think it's unfair. It's a science you know..

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, maths and f.maths are usually considered the most important for CompSci. After those two then you can consider computing but some top unis (e.g. Trinity College, Cambridge) consider it soft. Others think it's useful (e.g. Oxford and Imperial)

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Computing A-level is very soft compared to the university course. "Networking computers" or "Fixing hardware problems" is nothing to do with Computer Science.
    That's like saying making an abacus is Maths.

That is not to say there is no value in Computing. A lot of the principles in the course are spot on, which is why some top universities consider it a decent A-level to have, most of the content is useless to a degree in it.
    There is a reason why Maths is required, and Computing is "Meh I suppose if you have Maths already, and probably doing F.Maths or Physics, why not".
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Computing is more respected than ICT.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2011

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.