Turn on thread page Beta

Annoying Downloadable Content watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else getting annoyed at Premium DLC packs?

A lot of the time I've seen them, it's things that really should be in the game anyway, and would have been 3 or 4 years ago.

It's just so irritating.

ReputationRep:
    I get annoyed when they announce DLC before the game is even released. **** off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TM94)
    Yeah, I saw that today with the new Ace Combat. Part of me just felt a sadness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TM94)
    That's nothing more than sticking the finger up at the customers, really
    Ditto for DLC that is a blatant rip-off. Bethesda infamously had the horse armour in Oblivion that they wanted $2 for, and most of Oblivion's other DLC added little more than a quest and a couple of items for a few dollars. Paradox Interactive are getting quite bad at this as well, with each of their historical strategy games (Europa Universalis, Victoria, Hearts of Iron etc) getting sprite packs (which are purely cosmetic changes, changing 3D models and animations) and they charge you £2-3 for each pack, and with Magicka they're frequently releasing DLC which might contain a new map and/or two or three new items and they want £1.60 for each one of those...every time I see new Magicka DLC for sale on the Steam store, I can't help being reminded of the Oblivion horse armour.

Seems an eternity ago that IF companies were to release an expansion pack for a game then it'd be available at a reasonable price...DLC is expensive when you tot it all up, so I'd prefer for companies to go back to the old expansions system, but then again I look at things like The Sims and how they milk expansions for all they're worth, and charge ridiculous sums for each expansion (if you bought Sims 2 and each expansion pack brand new you were spending somewhere in the region of £350, IIRC, and that's if you were buying it from places where it was cheap - God help you if you were buying from places that didn't like to stray away from the RRP)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    That's nothing more than sticking the finger up at the customers, really
    Ditto for DLC that is a blatant rip-off. Bethesda infamously had the horse armour in Oblivion that they wanted $2 for, and most of Oblivion's other DLC added little more than a quest and a couple of items for a few dollars. Paradox Interactive are getting quite bad at this as well, with each of their historical strategy games (Europa Universalis, Victoria, Hearts of Iron etc) getting sprite packs (which are purely cosmetic changes, changing 3D models and animations) and they charge you £2-3 for each pack, and with Magicka they're frequently releasing DLC which might contain a new map and/or two or three new items and they want £1.60 for each one of those...every time I see new Magicka DLC for sale on the Steam store, I can't help being reminded of the Oblivion horse armour.

Seems an eternity ago that IF companies were to release an expansion pack for a game then it'd be available at a reasonable price...DLC is expensive when you tot it all up, so I'd prefer for companies to go back to the old expansions system, but then again I look at things like The Sims and how they milk expansions for all they're worth, and charge ridiculous sums for each expansion (if you bought Sims 2 and each expansion pack brand new you were spending somewhere in the region of £350, IIRC, and that's if you were buying it from places where it was cheap - God help you if you were buying from places that didn't like to stray away from the RRP)
    Yeah!

Burnout Paradise had a DLC which was pretty much like a new game, and it expanded the game considerable for a reasonable amount. An entire new island, with new cars and whole new challenges.
    There were packs for cars as well, but most were short cuts. But there were souped up cars which cost a bit more, but didn't put you at a major disadvantage in online games.

If that was released today, I can't see it being so generous.

ReputationRep:
    It depends. Something like the 2 GTA IV episodes were fine because they were expansions like the days of yore (Frozen Throne...I miss you ). But the Battle of Forli and, to a lesser extent, Bonfire of the Vanities DLC in Assassin's Creed 2 were a bit of a jip. I think people get annoyed because the content in most DLC is so light and empty.

ReputationRep:
    Gears of War 3, 3200MSP (£27) for all the different weapon skins.

WTF! Worse than the horse armor for Oblivion. I think Epic know how obsessive some people get over having a different colour gun than everybody else.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.