i need help on Computing questions:

place these devices in order of access speed, from slowest to fastest:

- RAM
    - Hard Disk
    - CD ROM
    - Flash Memory
    - RAM Cache
    - Tap Drive

can also order it to storage capacity, from smallest to largest.

Many regards
    Blue pearl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluepearl)

- RAM
    - Hard Disk
    - CD ROM
    - Flash Memory
    - RAM Cache
    - Tap Drive

Many regards
    Blue pearl
    Use Google and Wikipedia?

ReputationRep:
    Ok some of those terms aren't or haven't been covered by my theory teacher yet, however general rule of thumb. Further away it is from the processor the longer it takes. The actually registers in the processor are the fastest, then the RAM, then the hard disk, then the peripherals i would say.

Also generally the Hard Disk is the biggest, (hope you're not wanting write and read speeds out of this), a Dual-Layer DVD can hold somewhere around 9gb, RAM can store anything from 1gb to something like 64GB if you're insane, flash memory i'm assuming is usb sticks, so 8gb average.

That's covering the overall of what i've been taught in theory, however i've not looked at my notes so this is just off the top of my head, with a little googling you should be able to quickly confirm it.

Hope that helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluepearl)

- RAM
    - Hard Disk
    - CD ROM
    - Flash Memory
    - RAM Cache
    - Tap Drive

Many regards
    Blue pearl
    Hi
    Slowest to fastest access times:
    -Tape drive(tape drives are read sequentially, and a file could be navigated in 10 seconds or 4 minutes etc... it's difficult to tell initially, however it will generally be slower to access than a CD-ROM)
    -CD-ROM(CD-ROMs are accessed directly as the operating system takes the binary(physical view of data) and maps it into a user-friendly structure made up of hierarchies(folders) etc..(the logical view of data))
    -Hard Disk(Hard Drives are relatively slow to access, as a spinning platter(optical) will never come close to the likes of a RAM chip in terms of access times, however optical hard drives are being phased out by solid state hard drives which are slightly faster to access as they have no mechanical parts, like a RAM chip, albeit RAM is still faster than a hard drive in terms of access speeds!)
    -RAM(faster to access than a hard drive)
    -RAM Cache(It's much smaller in capacity than a DDR-RAM chip as this acts as cache for the CPU, residing either inside the processor(L1 Cache)or just outside it connected via a dedicated bus on the motherboard, I don't know how much you need to know about that though)
    -Flash memory(Electronically Programmable ROM, very fast to access and it can't really be changed or have data become fragmented, like an optical hard drive)

For the storage capacities however, it would probably be the reverse with the exception of the Hard Drive, as I reckon that would be the largest! I'm not 100% sure about the flash memory though, usually that only consists of the very important pieces of software such as the BIOS and the bootstrapper(required to shift parts of the OS from hard drive to RAM during the boot).

If anyone wishes to verify what I have wrote, please do! It's been a while since I've studied this aspect of Computing, I should be studying Computer Architecture again soon as part of my course!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2011

University open days

• University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.