Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    my teacher just told me i need to do the whole edexcel book twice and i will be guaranteed an A

ReputationRep:
    nonsense

ReputationRep:
    Do the whole thing once and you'll get an A*.

If you're talented you might need less than that.

ReputationRep:
    Past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boromir9111)
    nonsense

(Original post by warwickorbristol)
    Do the whole thing once and you'll get an A*.

If you're talented you might need less than that.
    Did any of you get an A*/A for C3
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Complete rubbish. Do all the past papers, then do all the soloman papers. Then you are very likely to get an A*. Reading a textbook for maths is one of the least efficient ways to revise. Doing questions is the best way to do well in maths.

EDIT: I got an A* for C3, overall and in further maths. Seeing as you asked above.

ReputationRep:
    Practise
    Practise

Then

Practise

Find as many past papers as you can (even other boards) and

Practise

ReputationRep:
    I second that I'm doing further, for which our school makes us take the entire maths A-Level in lower sixth. I gained 92 and 99 in C3 and C4 respectively and all I can say is that past papers are the best way to get good marks.

You can read the book as many times as you want, but the exam isn't testing your reading our memory recall, its testing your maths. The questions do get harder at A2 and learning the material isn't enough for an A*, you have to have a certain thought process, in order to tackle the harder questions, something which you only gain by doing a s**t load of past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sucess)
    Yeah.

Trust me, I'm not that good at maths really and did very well at A level. The main thing I did was absolutely slaughter the textbook questions, the later ones in the topic are especially important. Doing question after question on the same topic really reinforces the topic.

I find that past papers just make you good at the past exams, if they go for a fruity exam (Ie one unlike the past exams) you'll be ****ed and end up with a B when you're aiming for an A*. The only modules I did badly on (S1, M1 and D1) I didn't do enough questions out of the textbook, the others I did nearly all of them and found them easy.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with maths is most of the guys getting the very top marks did the least work because they're naturally very good at maths. Past papers will work for them because they just need to be reminded of topics they grasped straight away. If you don't grasp a topic straight away you need to do loads of questions on the same topic in quick succession.

ReputationRep:
    Over 90% in the exam I think. Corr if you couldnt work that out I dont know how your going to survive in Statistics 1.

ReputationRep:
    If theres a lot of questions in the book then yeah. When I was doing my maths A level we would do the textbook questions after we were taught the material for each part of the chapter. After that wed have a while to just go through past papers, this is the most effective way.

Make sure you are comfortable with the content and then do all of the past papers.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    my teacher just told me i need to do the whole edexcel book twice and i will be guaranteed an A
    What would you get if you do it three times?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    What would you get if you do it three times?

Bored?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mandy92)
    Practice is the key to success in maths exams :rolleyes:
    Fixed that. And while I think practice is of course needed, time is probably better spent gaining a deeper understanding of what you're doing than just doing your nth past paper.

ReputationRep:
    All past papers and all solomon press. Know the course as you go along and revise from the past papers.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Here is a link
    Another good site with video worked solutions for the edexcel papers is here.

Good luck. I got 92% in C3 but messed up C4 by missing an entire question (turned 2 pages) and only getting 76% (a B)

ReputationRep:
    Do what i did... Resit it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9markiii)
    All past papers and all solomon press. Know the course as you go along and revise from the past papers.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Here is a link
    Another good site with video worked solutions for the edexcel papers is here.

Good luck. I got 92% in C3 but messed up C4 by missing an entire question (turned 2 pages) and only getting 76% (a B)
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Past papers are the way to get top marks in maths. No question about it. Worked all my life!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 27, 2011

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.