Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, this year I seem to be having lots of trouble keeping on top of the work we're doing. The three subjects I'm doing are Maths, Biology and Physics. I'm wanting to do a Civil Engineering degree at university and I know I'll need to work very hard trying to get the right grades. The problem is that whenever I think 'Right, I really need to do some work', I just lose all motivation when the time comes. I can literally sit there for an hour debating with myself as to whether I start work or do something else. I usually end up leaving it to the night before. I seem to be falling behind quite a bit in my classes, especially Physics which I've never been great at (I am good when I practice a lot, but with new work I never remember anything). I know I should do a little work out of class looking up facts and perhaps getting ahead but I just completely lose interest and I end up doing something that wastes all of my time.

So does anybody have any tips on keeping on top of work and motivation to do the work?

ReputationRep:
    Keeping on top of work... do homework the day it's set, or the night after. You'll remember more so do it more quickly and more effectively, bringing up your confidence and possibly enjoying it more too. I was sad, I enjoyed my maths homework, but being good at something makes it easier not to hate, or to motivate yourself to do. Don't know how you can get more motivation... The only thing that worked for me really was sitting home straight after school and doing work. If I lingered, made a cup of tea, started watching tv... I'd never be able to drag myself to maths or physics. If I didn't even give myself the choice, much more work got done

Are you applying this year? Maybe looking round some unis and finding your dream course or dream place, getting offers, will motivate you more. Think of every painful piece of homework as part of something much greater and worthwhile

Hope that was some help...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the advice

ReputationRep:
    Think about how you will feel if you fail all of your exams and don't get in to uni to study Engineering, about how disappointed you will be in yourself, and how disappointed your family would be...all because you couldn't be bothered to do the work when you needed to. Fear of failure always motivates me.

That, and having a part-time job in McDonalds...

Seriously though, it's only a few months of hard work. If you want to go to uni, it's only going to get harder so you need to discipline yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Once again thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    Aha I had this problem at the start of A levels too

Make a homework and revision timetable right away! It's what I did.
    Make sure you have some blocks for relaxing and chilling out?
    And make sure you actually use frees in school. I used to sit and chat with friends through mine but the though of not getting into University motivates me to work! :nooo:

ReputationRep:
    I've never made a revision timetable before... perhaps it's time I did! Thank you very much for the advice

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy what you are doing, that way you can do work for fun.

Just think of the end goal and how happy you will be when you open the envelope and see AAA or how happy you will be when you receive an offer, etc.

Be organised. Make a to-do list every single day, put top priority things on one side and not so important things on the other, ensure you do the things from your top priority list. Tick off the things you have done, giving yourself a sense of satisfaction and making you want to do more. Don't make the list too long though, you will be setting yourself up for failure.

Above all, like what you do.

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.