The Student Room Group

How do rugby players weigh so much??

Obviously they all range from stacked to very stacked and they often carry a bit of fat as well. But I look at some of them and I don't get how they weigh as much as they do.

Sonny Bill, for instance:

Sure, he's big and he's 6 foot 3. But he weighs 240lbs! That's the same as Arnold's competition weight back in 1975 ffs.

And Dan Carter:

He doesn't even look that big but he's 94kg (207lbs) at 5 foot 10. That's heavier and shorter than Greg Plitt.

So how come these guys are so heavy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Arnold was 6-6.1 by all accounts and in contest condition had MUCH less fat, water and the like. It's not inconceivable. I dunno... bone density? Weights that aren't accurate?
Reply 2
I'm 6'1" and 210lbs. I wrestle, do Judo, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and boxing. Very physical sports pack on lean muscle mass.
Reply 3
Original post by Einheri
I'm 6'1" and 210lbs. I wrestle, do Judo, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and boxing. Very physical sports pack on lean muscle mass.

That's the same as Dan Carter basically. Are you the same size or bigger than him?
Reply 4
Original post by MC armani
That's the same as Dan Carter basically. Are you the same size or bigger than him?

I'm taller than him and my shoulders, chest and thighs are bigger, he seems to have bigger arms and calves though. He also appears to have a somewhat lower BF% (I have a line down my stomach but not really visible abs).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
The thighs are actually rather large muscle groups, which is why exercises such as squats and dead lifts are so good for stripping fat, since you would be developing these large muscle groups and basically creating calories burning monsters.

With muscle weighing more than fat and Rugby being a sport that requires immense strength and explosive power from the legs and core, its understandable rugby players weighing as much as they usually do, the sheer muscle mass of their Hamstrings and quads is far greater than that of a regular person.
If you want to manage a good game of rugby you need the weight behind you (muscles) or extremely fast like the really small irish player (can't think of his name at the moment).
Reply 7
Original post by Smilingsam
If you want to manage a good game of rugby you need the weight behind you (muscles) or extremely fast like the really small irish player (can't think of his name at the moment).

Obviously. But what I'm asking is how come these guys weigh so much. Sure they're big, but Sonny Bill's no Arnie, and yet he weighs the same.
Reply 8
Original post by cid
The thighs are actually rather large muscle groups, which is why exercises such as squats and dead lifts are so good for stripping fat, since you would be developing these large muscle groups and basically creating calories burning monsters.

With muscle weighing more than fat and Rugby being a sport that requires immense strength and explosive power from the legs and core, its understandable rugby players weighing as much as they usually do, the sheer muscle mass of their Hamstrings and quads is far greater than that of a regular person.

I did think of that, but I still reckon Arnie had bigger legs than Sonny Bill and yet they weigh the same (when Arnold was at comp. weight). Ok Arnold would have been slightly leaner and water depleted but that can only really account for 10-20lbs.
You'll most likely throw a hissy fit but honestly, in contact sports height and weights are usually false.

Unless you see a video of an athlete taking measurements, it's safe to say they're probably false.

Inb4 Wilkinson, Lewesy et. al. who actually have accurate stats on wiki.
Original post by Oh I Really Don't Care
You'll most likely throw a hissy fit but honestly, in contact sports height and weights are usually false.

Unless you see a video of an athlete taking measurements, it's safe to say they're probably false.

Inb4 Wilkinson, Lewesy et. al. who actually have accurate stats on wiki.

The most sensible answer ever given.
A combination of muscle and general weight, which is essential especially for the forwards.
For example props have to have very strong shoulders and neck muscles because (as I found out last weekend after playing as a prop in a game for my local team) if you don't your neck aches like hell.

Professionals do some hefty fitness routines to make sure they are in shape and have the right muscle strengths to perform.
Reply 12
Original post by thunder_chunky
A combination of muscle and general weight, which is essential especially for the forwards.
For example props have to have very strong shoulders and neck muscles because (as I found out last weekend after playing as a prop in a game for my local team) if you don't your neck aches like hell.

Professionals do some hefty fitness routines to make sure they are in shape and have the right muscle strengths to perform.

Missed my point.
Missed my point.

How so
Reply 14
Original post by thunder_chunky
How so

Obviously they're all at least pretty stacked. You need legs, arms, delts, traps, rhomboids, lats etc. But what I'm trying to work out is how this guy...

...weighs 40lbs more than this guy...

??
Reply 15
Assuming his stats are correct:
Height? LEGS? He's carrying more body fat?
Reply 16

There's no way that Dan Carter is 15 stone. That's the same as I weigh and I'm 4 inches taller and considerably broader across the shoulders. I would reckon maybe 13/14 stone max.
Obviously they're all at least pretty stacked. You need legs, arms, delts, traps, rhomboids, lats etc. But what I'm trying to work out is how this guy...

...weighs 40lbs more than this guy...

??

That second picture, the guy has literally no fat. Although the picture above looks lean, he has a lot more fat to come off to be as dry as the picture below.

you'll be surprised how much weight comes off from being contest ready

arnie at 240lbs contest weight isn't comparable to the rugby players because they are nowhere near contest ready. Plus arnie in the off season stayed lean, so you still can't go by that.
Reply 18
Original post by py0alb
There's no way that Dan Carter is 15 stone. That's the same as I weigh and I'm 4 inches taller and considerably broader across the shoulders. I would reckon maybe 13/14 stone max.

Just going by the stats on the RWC website...
his weight probably fluctuates between seasons. though he has a decent amount of muscle, there's no reason why he wouldn't weight that

Quick Reply

Latest