Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a one year old HP laptop, intel-core i3, 250G hard drive, 2GB RAM.

now, I'd sounded a lot of people out when I bought it and everyone assured me that it would be fast (enough).

what I use the thing for is having 20 tabs open in google chrome, 2 tabs in firefox, 2 word documents open, skype open, 3 folders open, one photo in Microsoft Office picture manager open.

and it just can't cope with it. it's so slow that it's either a program 'not responding' or I just have to wait 20 seconds for things to load/ come back.
    I always hibernate it and maybe it is abnormal to have this many applications open (?!) but I need this many things simultaneously.

task manager informs me that there is no free physical memory.
    3 mins later there is 100 MB free memory. (not that I notice the difference in terms of speed) because of this my bf thinks I should just upgrade it and buy 2 giga memory.

would that help? or what to do?

(and is slowness like this at this usage normal?? I mean do people really just use one tab then close it, and use the computer for one thing at a time?)

ReputationRep:
    Yes buying more memory will help but the amount of files you have open maybe you need something alot more faster it is excessive!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely upgrade the RAM. However check what RAM you'll need before you buy it, if your current machine has two 1GB sticks installed, you'll need to by two 2GB sticks if you want to bring the total to 4GB.

ReputationRep:
    buy more ram but why on u have like 20 tabs open??? whats in them do u need that many

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by other one)
    I have a one year old HP laptop, intel-core i3, 250G hard drive, 2GB RAM.

now, I'd sounded a lot of people out when I bought it and everyone assured me that it would be fast (enough).

what I use the thing for is having 20 tabs open in google chrome, 2 tabs in firefox, 2 word documents open, skype open, 3 folders open, one photo in Microsoft Office picture manager open.

and it just can't cope with it. it's so slow that it's either a program 'not responding' or I just have to wait 20 seconds for things to load/ come back.
    I always hibernate it and maybe it is abnormal to have this many applications open (?!) but I need this many things simultaneously.

task manager informs me that there is no free physical memory.
    3 mins later there is 100 MB free memory. (not that I notice the difference in terms of speed) because of this my bf thinks I should just upgrade it and buy 2 giga memory.

would that help? or what to do?

(and is slowness like this at this usage normal?? I mean do people really just use one tab then close it, and use the computer for one thing at a time?)
    Consider using something like https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...blocblbcdcpbko
    Opera comes with session management for tabs and I'm stunned that chrome doesn't (not sure about firefox).
    I doubt that you're using all 20 simultaneously, so store the ones that you're not going to be using for a while in a session. Pages with flash/videos on (e.g. youtube) will slow you down noticably.

ReputationRep:
    Does sound like a RAM thing.

Most tabs I've had open was 72 in Chrome (as well as 2 Word docs and 9 pdfs in Acrobat). All my online dissertation references. The fans whirred a bit but no noticeable slowdown, and that's with 4 Gb RAM on a Macbook Pro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jez RR)
    Does sound like a RAM thing.

Most tabs I've had open was 72 in Chrome (as well as 2 Word docs and 9 pdfs in Acrobat). All my online dissertation references. The fans whirred a bit but no noticeable slowdown, and that's with 4 Gb RAM on a Macbook Pro.
    very different from my (probably ****ty) HP laptop?

(am not an expert )

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.