Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got somewhere I want to go tommorow afternoon, its a 4 mile walk, and I've only got 3 hours to get there do what I want to do (should take 15 mins) and get back for something else I want to do. I want to know can I do 8 miles in less than 3 hours?

I am a fast walker btw

ReputationRep:
    yea you could walk 4 miles in about an hour if you go fast. You could likely fit the 8 miles + 15 minute stop into three hours pretty easily.

ReputationRep:
    Have you got a bike you could ride?

ReputationRep:
    I've heard the average person roughly takes 20min to walk a mile. Using that, 8 miles would therefore take 2hours and 40minutes. Might take a bit longer, as the longer you walk the more exhausted you may get (Eg: I can run a mile in 7 minutes, but 10miles would take me much longer than 70minutes). So lets say 2hours and 55 minutes. However the '20 minutes' time is at a normal leisurely walk speed, so you could do it faster than that. You say you are a fast walker anyway so it should take you less.

tl:dr; Easily.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Dude I can run a mile in 6 minutes.
    Walking, I think it's more like 15.
    Now skipping on the other hand, aha...

ReputationRep:
    I'd try and jog there, do your stuff and then you could have a more leisurely walk back.

ReputationRep:
    Can't you just try and leave 10 minutes earlier?

ReputationRep:
    get the bus or train?

ReputationRep:
    Easily do-able. With plenty of time to spare as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, sure. I do about 3miles in 30-40mins.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely possible I walk long distances all the time!

ReputationRep:
    Takes me 2 hours to do my regular 8 mile route when walking. So it shouldn't be a problem for you, you'll have plenty of time.

ReputationRep:
    I walked 7 miles in about 90 minutes last night...I'm a relatively fast walker, but I think 8 hours should be no problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stubear)
    I got somewhere I want to go tommorow afternoon, its a 4 mile walk, and I've only got 3 hours to get there do what I want to do (should take 15 mins) and get back for something else I want to do. I want to know can I do 8 miles in less than 3 hours?

I am a fast walker btw
    Good luck with that.

No seriously though, if you do decide to walk that far (though I advise against it 'coz you'll turn up battered) it depends on the terrain - Presuming it's flat probably about 2 hours taking into account a small rest.

ReputationRep:
    Skip!

Or bus it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidoo)
    Good luck with that.

No seriously though, if you do decide to walk that far (though I advise against it 'coz you'll turn up battered) it depends on the terrain - Presuming it's flat probably about 2 hours taking into account a small rest.
    Walking at a brisk pace shouldn't make you very tired really, I can walk for miles and not feel anything but sore feet, I am used to walking quite a lot though, when I was at school I walked 5 miles everyday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stubear)

I am a fast walker btw
    I've walked 40 miles in 10 hours (Keswick to Barrow). From that example, you should be able to walk there, do your thing and get back with 45 minutes to spare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayTeeKay)
    I've walked 40 miles in 10 hours (Keswick to Barrow). From that example, you should be able to walk there, do your thing and get back with 45 minutes to spare.
    Usain Bolt could theoretically run across the globe in under 4 days. Let's use him as our base.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidoo)
    Usain Bolt could theoretically run across the globe in under 4 days. Let's use him as our base.
    Hahahhahahaha.
    I actually did do 40 miles in 10 hours. The people that won the event did in in 4 hours, or there about. http://www.keswick2barrow.co.uk/
    It's a perfectly legitimate base to use. Doubly so considering the long distance and long time taken to complete it factors in fatigue quite well -if I can average 4 miles per hour for that length of time, then it should be a piece of cake for somebody walking for a fraction of that time

Alternatively OP, get on your bike and get the whole thing done in less than an hour.

ReputationRep:
    Im fat so hardly going to jog it and my bike is back in my home town

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.