Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I do boxing at the moment and have done for a couple years on/off, but looking at the money that Mayweather earned in his last fight, maybe I should forget about education and turn pro in boxing.

Sorry guys, that money that Mayweather earned was in US dollars, but still a huge amount of wonga lol. Even David Haye earned 25 million from his fight with Klitschko, so it's not bad nights work for that amount of money, even the loser gets paid well.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how good you are. Would be quality if a TSR user became a boxer hehe

ReputationRep:
    ...and in the blue corner, coming from Essex, weighing in at 338 posts with a reputation of 3 red gems, Theeee Enigma UUUUUUUUUKAYYYYYYYYY!

ReputationRep:
    Education and boxing are kind of the opposites of each other:

Education puts things in your brain, boxing knocks things out of it

Seriously though, if you're young enough you should be able to do both to a reasonable standard

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget that this guy has an unbeaten record of 42 wins and titles across 5 divisions, but if you think you can reach that potential by all means follow your dream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Real Quaid)
    Education and boxing are kind of the opposites of each other:

Education puts things in your brain, boxing knocks things out of it

Seriously though, if you're young enough you should be able to do both to a reasonable standard
    The Klitschko brothers have PhD's.

ReputationRep:
    sadly boxing is a sport fading into the black. And such a beautiful, tactical and complex sport it was too...

what used to be the Tyson vs. Holyfield, big fights is now the likes of David Haye. Hardly a comparison.

MMA is where all the young athletes are going for now, MMA is (or at a while ago) the fastest growing sport in the world. It is becoming more available to watch live, or even highlights/fan made videos.

I know this is a troll, but MMA is the way forward now. It hurts me to admit it, but it is. I still argue that boxing is the better sport though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EonBlueApocalypse)
    Don't forget that this guy has an unbeaten record of 42 wins and titles across 5 divisions, but if you think you can reach that potential by all means follow your dream.
    Absolutey! I believe so. My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.....!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEnigmaUK)
    Absolutey! I believe so. My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.....!!
    You'd better apologise for using that quote without permission...

ReputationRep:
    ... "I wanna eat your children, Praise be to Allah"

ReputationRep:
    Just saying that Mayweather didn't earn that much. It's reported that he'd make $50m against Pacquaio so why would he earn more against Ortiz?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    You'd better apologise for using that quote without permission...
    I wouldn't like Mike to know I'm using his quote, so better keep it quiet! I hear he's a bit more forgiving these days, so he may let me off the hook (literally!) lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Just saying that Mayweather didn't earn that much. It's reported that he'd make $50m against Pacquaio so why would he earn more against Ortiz?
    1.3 - 1.7 million PPV buys, that's not including the merchandise and gate sales, so it's been reported that it's reached 80 - (maybe) 100 million dollars. But Ortiz still got his guaranteed 2.5 Million dollars! which is kind of measly when you look at how much Mayweather earned that night! But who would turn their nose up at 2.5 million for 12 minutes work? (4 rounds).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-Man.)
    The Klitschko brothers have PhD's.
    In sports science...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    sadly boxing is a sport fading into the black. And such a beautiful, tactical and complex sport it was too...

what used to be the Tyson vs. Holyfield, big fights is now the likes of David Haye. Hardly a comparison.

MMA is where all the young athletes are going for now, MMA is (or at a while ago) the fastest growing sport in the world. It is becoming more available to watch live, or even highlights/fan made videos.

I know this is a troll, but MMA is the way forward now. It hurts me to admit it, but it is. I still argue that boxing is the better sport though.
    MMA is a very long way behind being anywhere near boxing.

The purses for MMA are a tiny fraction of the boxing ones, and apart from anything else, drug testing in MMA is frankly a joke.

As a sport, whilst I agree that certain types of MMA are "better" in the sense that they aren't just about pounding someone's head - as a spectacle, MMA can be in effect quite boring. This is why judo has never taken off as a TV sport - it's just too technical. In Brazil, they have BJJ on TV, and unless you're quite knowledgeable, or a practitioner - there is no hope of understanding what's actually going on, or why someone has won.

Since the early UFC and Prides, MMA has gone from being "my martial art against yours" to simply being a contest between fighters all generally practicing an "MMA" style - the only difference being that some are better wrestlers and some better hitters.

Even in Japan, where ten years ago the audiences for MMA were massive - filling stadiums of 70,000+ - there is nothing like the money that is in boxing.

People will pay PPV to watch what they hope is going to be the next Rumble in the Jungle, or next Hagler/Hearns. But they won't pay in the same numbers to watch a technically brilliant MMA fight. For most people, it's just not exciting enough and too hard to understand.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of people box but its extremely difficult to break it into the world top ranked PPV prizefighters list (which is when you start earning that type of money). It's not about being a great boxer but you need to be a real character in and out of the ring (this is why people buy Floyds fights because of his smack talk and whatnot).

ReputationRep:
    My ex's boyfriend is a semi-pro boxer, signed to Ricky Hatton's team (not sure if 'team' is the word I'm looking for). Fought on Sky Sports and everything. You have to be top of your game to go pro and even be able to earn enough to live on. He still had to work in his dads cafe every day! It's not as easy as just going into it and getting paid millions.

ReputationRep:
    1.3 - 1.7 million PPV buys, that's not including the merchandise and gate sales, so it's been reported that it's reached 80 - (maybe) 100 million dollars. But Ortiz still got his guaranteed 2.5 Million dollars! which is kind of measly when you look at how much Mayweather earned that night! But who would turn their nose up at 2.5 million for 12 minutes work? (4 rounds).
    The figure includes everything you said. He didn't get anything on top of the original purse. He did not earn $80m.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    MMA is a very long way behind being anywhere near boxing.

The purses for MMA are a tiny fraction of the boxing ones, and apart from anything else, drug testing in MMA is frankly a joke.

As a sport, whilst I agree that certain types of MMA are "better" in the sense that they aren't just about pounding someone's head - as a spectacle, MMA can be in effect quite boring. This is why judo has never taken off as a TV sport - it's just too technical. In Brazil, they have BJJ on TV, and unless you're quite knowledgeable, or a practitioner - there is no hope of understanding what's actually going on, or why someone has won.

Since the early UFC and Prides, MMA has gone from being "my martial art against yours" to simply being a contest between fighters all generally practicing an "MMA" style - the only difference being that some are better wrestlers and some better hitters.

Even in Japan, where ten years ago the audiences for MMA were massive - filling stadiums of 70,000+ - there is nothing like the money that is in boxing.

People will pay PPV to watch what they hope is going to be the next Rumble in the Jungle, or next Hagler/Hearns. But they won't pay in the same numbers to watch a technically brilliant MMA fight. For most people, it's just not exciting enough and too hard to understand.
    Your missing the point, look at all the big names in Boxing today, they are big names cause they where big fighters nearly 20years ago. What when they leave the sport, we'll be left with people like Haye, who I believe is a terrible fighter.

All the young kid who once would have started in boxing are going to MMA, all the teen currently in boxing soon convert to the MMA.

Remember that MMA was only revived not long ago, and they are making big changed to it with plans plans for it. Boxing is currently dwindling and MMA will soon be the main combat sport.

I don't like it anymore than you do, but thats just what I believe.

So unless boxing gets itself another Tyson and 4/5 people that could rival him for a title, I think boxing may get it's life support machince out or start saving for a funeral...

ReputationRep:
    only $80?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 11, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.