Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all. Hope you all doing good.

Well, I have just got my VISA and I am planning to move to the university by first week of October. However, I don't know how much money I should take with me. I mean, till I activate a bank account, so my parents can deposit money for me. I have already paid the full amount of tuition fees and the accommodation deposit.
    Well, I will have to buy some kitchen equipments also books and stationary and survive for at least a month until my bank account has activated. I neither smoke nor drink and also, I have quite cheap life style. I guess, 500 pounds will be enough except my accommodation fees. What do you think?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by "activate a bank account"?
    As soon as you have a bank account your parents can pay money into it and you should be able to withdraw the cash within a few days, or if the money is credited immediately, within hours.

Why don't you arrange for your bank account to be open before you go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horsedobbin)
    What do you mean by "activate a bank account"?
    As soon as you have a bank account your parents can pay money into it and you should be able to withdraw the cash within a few days, or if the money is credited immediately, within hours.

Why don't you arrange for your bank account to be open before you go?
    According to the university website.
    "When travelling to the UK, you should ensure that you bring enough funds to cover the cost of all your fees (including tuition and accommodation fees) and your living costs. It can take 2 - 4 weeks to open a bank account'''
    (source: http://www.herts.ac.uk/international...ving-costs.cfm)
    So, I must take money with me to survive for a month. As an international student I can't open a bank account without a letter from the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bradwast88)
    According to the university website.
    "When travelling to the UK, you should ensure that you bring enough funds to cover the cost of all your fees (including tuition and accommodation fees) and your living costs. It can take 2 - 4 weeks to open a bank account'''
    (source: http://www.herts.ac.uk/international...ving-costs.cfm)
    So, I must take money with me to survive for a month. As an international student I can't open a bank account without a letter from the university.
    500 pounds would be absolutely fine I think. Do you have an own account in your home country right now? If you have a debit card you can simply withdraw money from any ATM from your foreign account... so if your parents deposit money in that account yuo don't have to worry about anything.

To get get a letter for the bank, that can take up to a week and then you need to make an appointment at the bank which could take another week so yeah you should take into account that in can take some time before you got your actual account open.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pop_tart)
    500 pounds would be absolutely fine I think. Do you have an own account in your home country right now? If you have a debit card you can simply withdraw money from any ATM from your foreign account... so if your parents deposit money in that account yuo don't have to worry about anything.

To get get a letter for the bank, that can take up to a week and then you need to make an appointment at the bank which could take another week so yeah you should take into account that in can take some time before you got your actual account open.
    Cool. Thank you very much sir.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 28, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.