Turn on thread page Beta

Washing machine? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have not much knowledge about washing clothes, can you put everything in the washing machine with eachother, e.g. jeans, hoodies, t shirts, socks, boxer shorts if you use the colour mixer powder (or whatever it is called) What setting should you put it on and for how long? If you put your clotes on a clothes horse to dry in your room how long would they take to dry if you put the heating on fully? I have nearly run out of clean clothes.

ReputationRep:
    And they say that undergraduates aren't clueless.

Do you not think you should have found this out before leaving?

You should wash colours together and whites together.

Make sure the drum isn't more than 1/2 to 2/3 full.

Wash with whatever detergent at 40degrees.

Spin and try and dry in a tumble dryer. If you haven't got one, you can dry little things on a radiator - but it will take like a whole day to dry a pair of jeans like that and your room will be like an armpit. Hang stuff outside if you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toddman10)
    I have not much knowledge about washing clothes, can you put everything in the washing machine with eachother, e.g. jeans, hoodies, t shirts, socks, boxer shorts if you use the colour mixer powder (or whatever it is called) What setting should you put it on and for how long? If you put your clotes on a clothes horse to dry in your room how long would they take to dry if you put the heating on fully? I have nearly run out of clean clothes.
    Most clothes can be washed together. Exceptions include

- new coloured items or coloured items that are likely to run/cheap clothing tends to do this. These should be washed with similar colours
    - delicates may need to go on a gentle cycle or be handwashed e.g. silk

For normal everyday clothes, presuming they are unlikely to run (colours), I'd put them all in together, usually close to filling the washing machine (not too full or it doesn't wash properly).

Put some detergent in (powder/liquid/capsules)

Wash at 40 or 30 if delicates/woollens

I find things dry within 1-2 days on a clothes horse. Leave a window open.

ReputationRep:
    You're not going to wash them are you?!

Just throw them away and buy new stuff

jk

ReputationRep:
    I shoved my first load of washing all into one machine because I was feeling lazy and there wasn't that much

Generally best to wash whites separately to colours or darks, and to wash heavy things like towels and sheets separately to underwear and shirts.

ReputationRep:
    ask your mum

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.