Turn on thread page Beta

It's always been my life plan to go to University, it's what I've been leading up to for so many years, and I thought it was going to be the best time of my life.. Within the space of a few days I've realised that this is not the case. I'm in a flat with mostly international students, and mostly boys (I'm a girl).. They eat in their rooms and barely speak to me. Each night I sit at my desk and look out of the window and I can see other flats all sitting round the kitchen table together enjoying themselves. There is another flat in the same block which I visit sometimes, but I don't want to constantly be there or tag along. I'm quite a long way from home, and back there I have some amazing friends, and it's really hard being away from them. I like to drink and socialize, and go to the cinema, meals, normal activities, but at the moment I don't really have anyone to do that with. The other flats here tend to go shopping together and get ingredients together, whereas I go alone on the bus. At the moment, getting a degree is not worth how lonely I've been feeling, it has been one of the worst couple of weeks of my life. I have no idea what to do? People advised that I'd start to meet people on my course, which started yesterday, however this is difficult as it seems that people have already started making friends. I do intend to join societies, however again, most people here seem to socialize in their flats. I'm really demotivated and don't care about anything at the moment, I feel depressed. I've asked my course tutor to get in touch with the accommodation office to see if I can move, but no luck yet.
    Really close to dropping out, as much as I don't want to, I feel physically unhappy.
    Any advice?
    Thanks for reading this much!

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I also am starting at university, though I must admit i'm having a very good time. However, this hasn't come without difficulty.

First of all, it's fair to say that you have been unfortunate to get room-mates who \re highly introverted. But that shouldn't stop you having fun. You say that there are other people that you like but that you are worried of being a "tag-along". There is absolutely no shame in being a tag-along. At university, we're all here to make friends; this won't happen unless you stick your neck out there every once in a while. If they seem like nice people, go out with them; you'll be a better person for taking the risk.

Also, you say you want to join societies; do it, NOW! Not later, not tomorrow, NOW! They're a fantastic way to meet new people and to develop/ better yourself. And plus, in any case, many, many people attend society events alone, so you're all in the same boat. :-D

Summary: don't be afraid and remember; you are by no means the only one. All students feel unhappy at university at some point, and it's unbelievably common to be stuck with room-mates you don't like. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that ended up with room-mates whom I love. But remember, you will meet other people you love at some point; it's just you've got more of a challenge in achieving that. But, you know, uni is all about challenges...

ReputationRep:
    PS. Don't drop out, whatever you do! You should never, ever give up at the first hurdle... ever!

ReputationRep:
    I would mention this situation to the people in the other flat you get along with. I am in a similar situation, and because they understand how I am feeling, they welcome me openly. Don't worry too much, and try to make some course friends, so you can invite them over etc

ReputationRep:
    Go to the union at night and societies.

ReputationRep:
    Hang out with the other flat. Friends do go over to each others flats lol. Also when you start your course properly you should meet plenty of people with similar interest to you as they'll be doing the same course. Stick it out and try to chat to everyone you meet

ReputationRep:
    You're being irrational, you've only just started.

Why don't you transfer to another place in halls? I would've that what would be the obvious thing to do.

Chin up *virtual hug*.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.