Turn on thread page Beta

Could I get into cambridge? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's are A*A*A*A*A*A*AABBB- so not the best but should be ok

AS was where i fell down though with AABB :/

1- Maths got 98, 90, 94 so fine at as but got 73 in C4 and D1 as well as 94 in c3 so will need to resit C4 this year

2- But english barely scraped an A cos of coursework were i got 90% and it was 40%weighted :/

3- Physics was a B but only cos of 1/4 examined pieces of work which i messed up and am resitting, but others weren't outstanding A's

4- Similar story with history where i got 84 in one paper but seriously buggered up the second which i need to resit and landed a B overall.

Predicted A*A*A*A which i'm sure they will see as a bit optimistic, though i personally think it's achievable cos had a bad summer.

Personal statement is nothing special but because of their interview process i heard they arn't overly interested in it from a teacher at selwyn, done only 2 weeks work experience though :/

Reference should be fine as my tutor did history at oxford and i am on good terms with her.

Basically my main concern is that they look at UMS at won't be impressed by mine seeing as the average is low 90's and i expect most applicants will have done far better than me so what are my chances?

Also would it be worth looking into oxford as they don't look at UMS and my raw grades arn't terrible.

- Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Also would it be worth looking into oxford
    Or one of the other 95 universities that runs a Law course?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...sity-guide-law

ReputationRep:
    Looking at your grades it's a longshot but trust me it has been done. It's been done with a lot worse mind you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhitrunUK)
    GCSE's are A*A*A*A*A*A*AABBB- so not the best but should be ok

AS was where i fell down though with AABB :/

1- Maths got 98, 90, 94 so fine at as but got 73 in C4 and D1 as well as 94 in c3 so will need to resit C4 this year

2- But english barely scraped an A cos of coursework were i got 90% and it was 40%weighted :/

3- Physics was a B but only cos of 1/4 examined pieces of work which i messed up and am resitting, but others weren't outstanding A's

4- Similar story with history where i got 84 in one paper but seriously buggered up the second which i need to resit and landed a B overall.

Predicted A*A*A*A which i'm sure they will see as a bit optimistic, though i personally think it's achievable cos had a bad summer.

Personal statement is nothing special but because of their interview process i heard they arn't overly interested in it from a teacher at selwyn, done only 2 weeks work experience though :/

Reference should be fine as my tutor did history at oxford and i am on good terms with her.

Basically my main concern is that they look at UMS at won't be impressed by mine seeing as the average is low 90's and i expect most applicants will have done far better than me so what are my chances?

Also would it be worth looking into oxford as they don't look at UMS and my raw grades arn't terrible.

- Thanks in advance
    You'd have been better placed to ask this in the Cambridge subjects forum. Oh well.

Your GCSEs are fine so you're right not to worry about them.

As for your grades ... if you have AABB at AS, I'd be wary of applying to Cambridge. They tend to interview 80 - 90% of candidates (some colleges interview less, some more) so you may well get an interview. However, you'd have to work hard to impress. Your average for your As being in the low 90s is fine, really don't worry about that. It's just what the *average* student happens to have. I only had one subject above 90 when I applied so I'm living proof that there is no cut-off point.

The Bs, however, are more worrying. The standard offer is A*AA and they generally give them to people who are capable of acheiving it. If you're doing a lot of resits, it suggests that your exams weren't one-offs. Unlike many (if not most) unis, there is no resit system at Cambridge (medicine MB being an exception) so they generally look for candidates who have no or only one/two resits (as anyone can have a bad day).

That's not to say you won't get in - in fact, I know someone who got in with AABB at A2 (before A*s though so I don't know if she would have got any)- only that if you do get an interview, you're going to have to work hard to impress them.

Also, 2 weeks of w/e is fine.

If you went for Oxford, be aware that they reject more people pre-interview. It's therefore quite possible that they will reject you immediately on the basis of grades (as many Oxford applicants will have AAAA) or your LNAT. Cambridge is more likely to interview you but more likely to reject post-interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j_pratt_2003)
    Or one of the other 95 universities that runs a Law course?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...sity-guide-law
    Yes because i'm only applying to cambridge- not quite but it's wonderful that you're trying

To others, thanks i think i might apply more as a shot to nothing- might as well give it a go

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 27, 2011

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.