Turn on thread page Beta

For people of Chinese/Singaporean/Indonesian and Thai origin! Pleas Help! :) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    From this thread on Are you Afraid of Sharks?- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1792025

An very interesting point came up. One person (who hopefully won't mind me making this thread! Apologies if you do!) made this statement-

"Am Asian, and whilst I am not in support of it, yes. My parents force-fed me it when I was younger to 'help stimulate the growth of my brain"

When asked if they had/would ever consume shark.

Question time

Do your families/friends/ and yourself believe Shark fin stimulates brain growth and what is the general consensus about the consuming of it?

I always though Shark fin soup was only consumed for 'status' reasons, which would explain why its served at weddings etc. But this has made me realise theres a lot more to it...!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of that, I dont eat shark's fin, it's SO cruel! and also it's classified as an unclean food. I have learnt from the numerous awareness raising campaigns in our schools that shark's fin brings no taste to the soup even, its the sauce. i've eaten mock sharks fin though.
    haven't read that thread, it's no longer available!

so concluding, nope, never heard anything about it aiding brain, dont think it's worth supporting the cruel industry. why not have normal fish oils or just get brain tablets? not sure if that'll work, but regarding costs... sharks fin is far from cheap right? hahah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiveLifeFit)
    Never heard of that, I dont eat shark's fin, it's SO cruel! and also it's classified as an unclean food. I have learnt from the numerous awareness raising campaigns in our schools that shark's fin brings no taste to the soup even, its the sauce. i've eaten mock sharks fin though.
    haven't read that thread, it's no longer available!

so concluding, nope, never heard anything about it aiding brain, dont think it's worth supporting the cruel industry. why not have normal fish oils or just get brain tablets? not sure if that'll work, but regarding costs... sharks fin is far from cheap right? hahah.
    Mmm..hopefully this one will work! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1792025

Thanks for that! Never knew it was considered unclean. What nationaility are you out of interest?

Thanks for reply

ReputationRep:
    My mom ate it before but she never mentioned it stimulating brain growth. I've never eaten it myself though. I don't think it's common for Asian families to eat this though, especially to force their children to eat it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Koobideh)
    My mom ate it before but she never mentioned it stimulating brain growth. I've never eaten it myself though. I don't think it's common for Asian families to eat this though, especially to force their children to eat it.
    Thanks. At first I couldn't understand why people believed it stimulated brain growth but then I figured it was because Sharks are fish...Maybe they just thought it contained enough omega 3 to actually increase brain size. Not sure.

Good to hear its not common to force feed their kids!

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard that it stimulates the brain! For chinese, shark's fin is considered a delicacy and a symbol of wealth. It is consumed quite frequently by the rich and in events like weddings and chinese new year. Adults generally don't buy into the "save our sharks" arguments not because of its neurological benefits I suppose, but rather because the consumption of sharks fin has become so rooted in our culture. The younger generation however might be more inclined to stop the consumption of shark fin.

ReputationRep:
    I love shark's fin soup, but after realizing the cruelty done to sharks and the fact that pretty much any meat can go in that broth and taste the same, I'm never eating it again. I've never heard of it stimulating the brain either. Who came up with that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry)
    I love shark's fin soup, but after realizing the cruelty done to sharks and the fact that pretty much any meat can go in that broth and taste the same, I'm never eating it again. I've never heard of it stimulating the brain either. Who came up with that?
    Thanks for replying and giving it up

Erm one person said it on another thread. It sounded logical, and would sure explain why its eaten in such abundance...

(Original post by angelscape)
    I've never heard that it stimulates the brain! For chinese, shark's fin is considered a delicacy and a symbol of wealth. It is consumed quite frequently by the rich and in events like weddings and chinese new year. Adults generally don't buy into the "save our sharks" arguments not because of its neurological benefits I suppose, but rather because the consumption of sharks fin has become so rooted in our culture. The younger generation however might be more inclined to stop the consumption of shark fin.
    It is kind of the same way that foie gras and caviar is in the UK? (Except most of us can't afford it )

Good stuff. Current scientific predictions give them 20 years before theres non left. I completly blame our parents generation for the s*ite the worlds in right now! Haha They may yell at us for having messy rooms/**** grades but we can blame them for planet destruction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diving_queen)
    Thanks for replying and giving it up

Erm one person said it on another thread. It sounded logical, and would sure explain why its eaten in such abundance...
    I don't think that's why. I think it's eaten so much because it is a status symbol and it tastes pretty damn good - although like I said, and Gordan Ramsay proved this, any meat can go in there and it'll taste delicious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diving_queen)
    Mmm..hopefully this one will work! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1792025

Thanks for that! Never knew it was considered unclean. What nationaility are you out of interest?

Thanks for reply
    I'm Singaporean If you're interested, the classification of clean and unclean foods is in Leviticus 11 in the Bible.

ReputationRep:
    Sharks fin soup is awesome, I love it~ but yeah its a symbol of wealth in chinese culture and is consumed at special festivals or events

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2011
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.